Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyblue_gw

Before we finalize... (crossposted from Building Forum)

daisyblue
11 years ago

About a year ago, I first posted some preliminary plans for feedback and I am grateful for the comments I received. Circumstances forced us to put things on hold, but thankfully, we are now ready to move forward! Prior to having final plans/blueprints completed, I would greatly appreciate some fresh eyes offering any thoughts you may have (after looking at this for so long, I worry that I may not be "seeing" something important).

A quick recap: We are a family of three (three year old daughter) living in western NC, hoping to foster/adopt a child in the near future. The goal for our home is for it to be simple and efficient, made with healthy materials, and that it has a great inside/outside connection. The top of the plan is oriented south to take advantage of passive solar heating and mountain views.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are willing to offer!

Comments (8)

• finallyhome
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love it. This is the type of floor plan I would build. Simple and open. Is the master bedroom closet large enough? Ever thought about a double sided fireplace? I can picture sitting on that porch on a cold night with a fireplace. Of course, I would have my fireplace on the outside wall so both focal points, the TV and fireplace can be enjoyed at the same time. Don't like the TV above the fireplace. (I'm short and it makes the TV to high up.)

• finallyhome
    11 years ago

One more thing. I would add a closet to the uspecified room for more options in the future. If it will be a craft area you could add a wall of shelves/closet.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

What's the to right of the door as you walk in? A utility sink?

I'm trying really hard to find something to change and I can't. The only thing I personally might question is the laundry right next to the master, but I think you're either a person who appreciates the convenience or dreads the noise, so ignore that, because I'm obviously the latter.

• peegee
    11 years ago

What stands out for me is entering from the front door and having to cross directly into the kitchen area to access the living room. Have you really thought carefully about that? Haven't looked over the entire plan closely yet, but wonder if it might be possible to flip the bath/closet and entry, although that likely will negatively impact the facade....Good luck with your plans!

• peegee
    11 years ago

What stands out for me is entering from the front door and having to cross directly into the kitchen area to access the living room. Have you really thought carefully about that? Haven't looked over the entire plan closely yet, but wonder if it might be possible to flip the bath/closet and entry, although that likely will negatively impact the facade....Good luck with your plans!

• krdpm
    11 years ago

Love your plan! One big thing that jumps out at me, which you may have addressed and I could just be missing, but do you have enough closet space for things like the vacuum cleaner, cleaning supplies, etc? Planning convenient space for storing things like the vacuum, brooms, steam mop, light bulbs, plant food, just random household necessities, can really make a difference. I also am not sure I see enough linen closet space.

Again, you may have thought of all this and decided it's meets your nice, but I always find that there is no such thing as too many closets. They take up so little room and can allow a home to function more efficiently.

Good luck with buildong your house...I think it'll be great!

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I agree about double checking that you have enough storage space. I think if you have front-loading laundry machines, you can have a lot of storage for linens above the machines. And the "block" next to the water heater in the laundry room could be full-height storage for brooms, vacuum, etc. But I'm a little confused about the second "hidden" closet in the MBR. It might be more usable if the space were just returned to the other bedroom (teenage girls . . .) or if it opened onto the hall for linens.

I can't remember what the items were in your foyer, either. I seem to remember there being a bench on the left, but can't recall the ID of the thing on the right. If the entry is also a mud room, then make sure you're OK with the "stuff" that accumulates in a mudroom or a typical back entry being part of your main entry. Is there a coat closet?

*And this leads to a question I had last time around -- where is the parking? If there is parking in front of the house only, or a circular-drive-type thing, then it makes sense. But I recall there being a plan to add a freestanding garage or carport later. And the discussion surrounding that was the path from the cars to the house. Would you have to come into the screened porch, then through the living room? Or all the way around the back through the dining room?

• daisyblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for the feedback ~ it's really helpful to get your perspectives!

Below is a revised plan along with responses to your comments.

Finallyhome ~ We are planning on having an electric fireplace, but if not, the two sided idea would be fantastic! The fireplace will be low (no mantle/hearth), so the television will not be very high. The "unspecified" room is going to be utilized for fitness and guest quarters (we plan to have a small wardrobe in there for guest use).

Wi-sailorgirl ~ That is indeed a utility sink that will be hidden behind a sliding barn door. We like the idea of being able to rinse off garden veggies, wellies, muddy hands, etc. before tracking further into the house. This closet will also house storage for things like light bulbs, household tools, etc. I do all of the laundry during the daytime, so the convenience factor is important to us. In our current rental home, we have a similar laundry set up and really like it!

Peegee ~ We have gone back and forth on flip flopping the kitchen and dining room with the family room. However, for several reasons, we do think we prefer it this way. We also plan to use the "unspecified" space as guest quarters and therefore like that the guest bathroom is right next door.

Krdpm ~ Trying to find "a place for everything and everything in its place" has been a process! As for a vacuum, we are hoping to have a central vac with a Doc-it containment system that will most likely be located in the wall near the dryer. We are planning to store linens in cabinets above the washer and dryer, household utility items in the entry closet with the utility sink, food in the pantry cabinet closest to the dining room, non-food bulk storage in the pantry cabinet closest to the hallway, and office supplies in the desk area (across the hall from the island). That little extra space in the back of the master closet will house a safe. In the entry, there will be "lockers" for coats, shoes, purses, backpacks, etc. I'm still trying to decide on a good location for holiday decor storage. Hopefully, we will be able to maximize the upper space in each of the bedroom closets as well.

Jakabedy ~ Next to the WH, we are planning to have cubbies for laundry baskets. The hidden closet in the master is for a safe. We are trying to create a "hidden" mud room in the entry. On the left, there will be "locker" cabinets with bench seating. These will have doors to conceal the "stuff!" Similar to this:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/wood-lockers-with-doors-laundry-room-phvw-vp~157052)

[Laundry Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/laundry-room-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_753)

On the right is a utility closet behind a sliding barn door. It will have a sink and storage for household utility items like light bulbs, tools, etc.

Due to the topography of our site (our home will be located on a knoll), we are indeed planning to have a circular drive located in the front. If we add a carport, it too will have to be in the front, most likely northeast of the house. Making the front entry dual purpose, seems to make this work alright in theory and, I'm hoping, in practice as well!!

Thank you all again ~ I really do appreciate your thoughts! I'd love more feedback if anyone has any!!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert