Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Outdoor seating areas

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I'm planning to add some more seating to my outdoor spaces. It's so nice to have the extra living space outside, especially with smaller homes :)

My plan is to find a settee/loveseat and a few chairs that can hold up to the elements (resin, metal, outdoor wicker, etc.) and add some comfy cushions. I want to set up an outdoor space (in the garden) for tea and I think it would be very cozy. I'm still looking for the right location, but I want someplace with some afternoon shade.

Does anyone have any ideas? Pictures?

We're also hoping to create a small patio space (in a shadier location) for the BBQ and small patio table with chairs. We have an umbrella, but unless the sun is directly overhead, the shade is on the ground nearby! We don't have trees right by the house, but the lilac hedge is a nice sun block. Again, any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated :)

Here's my little seating area in the fairy garden (tea for two..at the far left side) and the kitchen garden with arbor. The little tea table is a great location, but not really enough space for a bigger seating area. I might put the tea area in the front, near the roses.

The arbor area only seats two comfortably, but once the clematis and roses get larger, it should be very nice. I'm hoping the clematis will eventually shade the arbor.

{{gwi:329994}}

{{gwi:45502}}

Comments (4)

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like what you have already! You might want to think in terms of removable cloth shades of some kind. We had an above-ground pool, and here in FL, the water would get into the low 90's in the summer- not very refreshing! We bought a cheap shade room that straddled it, and it lowered the water temperature 10 degrees. It also made it tolerable to use the pool during the heat of the day. It still let plenty of light in.

When we get settled in SC, I plan to build a permanent gazebo to use as an outdoor kitchen. I'm going to build it rather tall, with a large vented cupola to let the smoke from the BBQ out. The added height will hopefully better vent the smoke, and reduce the chance of burning the thing down when manly cooking is being performed LOL!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! My husband would love that...manly cooking :)

We have some friends, who built a covered area for their BBQ and seating area, but no chimney. That's a good idea.

We have the hot summers (90s and up much of July and August) but much drier than South Carolina...and it cools off at night. Usually it gets down to 55 or 60 out here, great for sleeping, not so good for the tomatoes!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I like the idea of cloth shades too. Your back yard is lovely - I love your view. I want to do more with our outdoor living area, something with an outdoor ceiling fan because the heat & humidty makes being outside on summer evenings almost unbearable.

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Lavender.
    First of all, I'd ask some questions like WHO WHAT WHEN WHY AND WHERE.

WHO likes to do this, how many of you will be involved?
    WHAT will you be doing, like sitting around talking, will it be nice even if there is rain or light snow? Will it be chatting, eating, cooking, READING? Quiet time alone sometimes?
    WHEN during the year. And when during the day or night? If it is night, will you need lighting/electrical? And if in cooler weather, will you need one of those outdoor heaters?
    WHERE are you thinking of putting this spot? Do you often do it in the late afternoon and want it to be SHADED in the summertime? Do you want to have a sunny place in the winter which is protected from the elements so you can get away from inside the house a bit? And will you want a firepit there? Will it be close to the house in your dream spot? Or do you want to move far away from the house so you can look back at it for a real warm image of HOME?
    WHY is another question, which is mixed into several of the other questions too. Overcoming "cabin fever" in the winter? Or having some private space when you want to think something through is another good reason to want a getaway.

That being said, I'd say having a couple of places is a great thing. And having them visible from some place in the house is a plus as well. My yard is compact, but I manage to have my New Orleans courtyard garden. It is visible from the rooms on the south side of my house, but not visible from the streetside. Nor can neighbors see it.
    It has a small bistro table and two wrought iron chairs, plus a wrought iron chaise w/wheels. It sits on dry laid old bricks from our river house (now torn down).
    It is in the shade in late afternoon all year round. In summer it is halfway shaded until late in the day.

Then we have the small deck 10 x 12 with a wrought iron table/chairs just outside the back door and it is on east side of house, so has morning sun but afternoon shade all year. There is a ground level dry laid brick patio for the gas grill which we use all year round. Love it.

My hammock will be placed behind the garage after it is rebuilt, and of course it will be in the most shaded part of our lot. Maybe morning light filtering through the pecan trees, but the garage will block most of the light and heat from both the south and the west. That is where I will go when I want to lie there and read, or maybe look straight up overhead into the tree cover and sky. I also have a metal-framed canvas covered gazebo (currently set up in the roofless garage), which might be stored unless I find someone who wants it. I got it for $300 a couple of years back (50% off at JCP), and I THOUGHT it would be good to close the mosquito-screening flaps to sit in the shade on hot days. But the garage walls held in the heat and I was suffocating and the plants were too. But if you have a milder summer climate, a gazebo would be most attractive option. It could be out there near your formal herb garden and placed along the central axis of the design, would give a lot of beauty to the place.

I have a parrot sitting on my keyboard watching me type, so I better send this before it gets zapped by beak or claws.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida