Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowdoin_gw

Anyone Have Photos to Share?

Bowdoin
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this particular forum, and am contemplating a down-sizing move to a teeny little house. I would love to see photos of your smaller homes, inside or outdoors. Thanks so much. I look forward to being a regular here. Thank you!

Emma in SC

P.S.- Would also like to know the sizes of your homes, by room numbers or sq. footage.

Comments (13)

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Check the Roll Call thread. My house is about 1800 sq ft, which sounds large, but the bedrooms are 10x9.5, 10x9.5, and 12x14 with tiny closets and tiny bathrooms. When we moved in, we expanded the tiny kitchen into the dining area, and have since enclosed the garage to make it into the living area and made the living area into the dining area. Those areas are large and roomy, but we still have no storage to speak of.

• gayle0000
    15 years ago

Hi Emma.

I've got a bazillion pics of my little house...inside & out...before's & after's, various rooms, etc. If you give me a little more specifics on what you're wanting to see I can post for you.

Also, I have a Blog you can look at. I just post up pics & stories about me, my kid, and my house adventures (I just bought my place in April 2008). I do the blog so my family & friends can keep tabs on me, so it's not truly a "home" or "decor" blog, but there's a lot about my little house on there. It is what it is. Link is below.
    Gayle

Here is a link that might be useful: Gayle's Blog

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Here is a photo of my 1910 brick bungalow, almost 100 years old! It is a very sturdy house and has seen a lot of hurricanes and ice storms here in NC. I have 1587 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, large kitchen, dining room (approx. 13'x13'), good sized living room, full attic, creepy basement, nice front porch, detached small garage, and a long hallway that is wasted space. The closets are small, the wood floors are original, and the bathroom is tiny, but, it was affordable, is 2 miles from work, and suits me as a single older female - ouch! that "older" made me wince.

My lot is very small, just blocks from downtown and adjacent to the historical district in my town. Right now I have 5 out of 12 homes for sale or rent on my block - a sign of the times, I'm afraid. But most of my neighbors have been here for years and are good people. We have had some problems with some renters. The street is narrow and there is a Catholic School in the next block, so we do get quite a bit of traffic sometimes, but I have learned to live with that.

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Our current house (FL) is about 1600 sq ft, which has been fine for the three of us. Our new house (SC) will be more like about 1200 sq ft, unless the economy continues in a downward spiral, in which case- who knows? I don't have many pictures of this house, despite having lived here 15 years- it doesn't excite me, I guess.

Emma- I tried to respond to your e-mail, but it kicked it back (?) Our property is north of Travelers Rest, almost to Tigerville.

Jay

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I'm going to try and post my 1100 sq. ft. Cape Cod bungalow pix here. I haven't figured it out completely yet though. The photos come out Large. LOL
    rose

• laurenk88_pa
    15 years ago

This is my townhouse. It's 1285 sq. feet. Three bedrooms, 2.5 baths, large living and HUGE dining room, though a Barbie Fun House size kitchen. It works well for us.

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

Our house is 1600 sq' 2 bedrms, 2 bathrooms. Open concept with Huge back patio.

• makingthishome_katie
    15 years ago

Welcome Emma! Those houses all look so beautiful... and now I feel slightly suffocated. My house is 480 square feet. I'm an American in Germany, so I guess the small factor is easier here because everyone around us has small spaces, too. We're in the middle of remodeling the kitchen right now. It's 36 square feet. I know that sounds small, but I really love it. I don't ever want to live in a huge house. (Well maybe a slightly bigger one when we start a family!)
    I'll do like Gayle and share my blog where I've posted a lot of pictures and thoughts on small living.

Here is a link that might be useful: our little house

• bowdoin514
    15 years ago

Would like to thank everyone who has posted to my requests. It was really neat to see all these great looking homes. I am moving into a 600 sq. ft. house, and am having to down-size majorly. I think I have the second smallest house on here so far. How do you all manage with space? I am not looking forward to living in a box jungle! Hopefully I will be awarded with much patience We'll see!
    Emma in SC

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Our first house was 800 sq ft, and we were just fine. It got a bit crowded when our son came along, and we moved up. So much of it depends on what stage of life you are in, and what your interests are. My sister lives in a 700 sq ft co-op in NYC, and it looks virtually empty. In her words, she's not a big collector of 'things'. My wife and I tend to be the opposite, with a good sized antique collection. It's going to be tough for us to whittle down our collection when we downsize. I know our closets are full of things that we haven't used in years- we need to get busy and weed out. Is there any room on your property for a shed or other storage building? We're going to have a sizable barn, which should take some of the overflow, at least until we can figure out what to do with it. Whatever you do- try to avoid a renting at a storage yard! We did that for a while, and I'm sure the rent we paid was greater than the value of the stuff inside!

Jay

• annebert
    15 years ago

Emma,

My house is also 600 square feet, and I moved from 2500 square feet or so (which I think is enormous). It is just me and my 2 cats - you didn't say if you have other human family members. My rent is very low (less than 25% of my takehome pay)so I rent a small climate-controlled storage space to take the place of closets, basement, and attic that I don't have.

I think I will work on posting photos. But my house is not very neat, so I'll have to work on that first.

Anne

• mstracey
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum too...my house is a 1420 sq ft ranch style home. I love small homes, they're so cozy! I have pictures but I haven't figured out how to post them yet.

Tracey

• bluesbarby
    15 years ago

My house is somewhere between 1700 and 1800 square feet. A 1960's mock tudor ranch. The previous owners added on to the back, it was originally about 1500. It's 3 bedroom, 2 bath, small closet laundry, very little storage and no basement. There's also a small 200 square foot studio that we rent out for now. Except for a spec home we built years ago I've always lived in homes between 1700 and 2100 square feet. 3 of my adult children have recently moved back in and we always seem to have a stray living with us (right now there are 6 adults living here) so space is at a premium but I love it. Oh, we also have 4 cats and 2 dogs.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz