Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Tuesday tea...what new for the New Year?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I hope you all had a lovely holiday! I thought I'd post over here, since it's busier...and see what everyone has planned, for the New Year. I need to sort through all my 'stuff' and do a lot of cleaning. The contractor is supposed to start tomorrow, so once the bay window is repaired, I plan to get started.

He was supposed to start today, but had to wait one more day. So, instead of moving furniture, I spent an hour 'playing' over on the kitchen forum. The challenge this week is to create a pink kitchen. I didn't want a pink kitchen, but I really miss gardening...so I put a bunch of roses, in a white and wood kitchen! LOL Here's the link if you want to try it...my kitchen is all the way at the bottom.

Well, I'm off to make a cup of Earl Grey and get a little work done, while I can. Tomorrow is going to be crazy, but hopefully the window can be repaired without too much fuss. We've been lucky and not had much snow during the last month, but I know it's coming! Just keeping my fingers crossed it waits a little longer.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy your tea...or favorite beverage :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to pink kitchen thread

Comments (13)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

This week the Christmas tree must come down. In fact, I plan to get all the ornaments and lights down tonight, and DH can take the tree down and out tomorrow.

As a result of getting an area rug cleaned and shuffling things to put the tree up, we stumbled on a great new arrangement for the furniture in our oddly-shaped 12' x 20') living room. By shifting a few things and moving the two chairs from the "tree zone" into the LR, w can comfortably seat six in there now Before it was an uncomfortable 4/5. And the room looks more open than before (even with the Aussie's big crate still tucked in there). I guess the point is sometimes you have to let go of the old ideas and truly start from scratch.

My focus this year is on building my business. Simplifying things on the home front is a part of that.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I started off the New Year by paying bills and trying to get some paperwork done. I've got most of the unpleasant stuff done and now need to make a budget that is easy to keep up with. Having to write down every receipt was just not working for me.

I looked in this morning when I had my morning tea and didn't see any activity here. I'm glad you posted this here as I just can't remember to look on the conversations forum.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm having tea most afternoons around 3pm - 3:30pm. now. I also check in on these tea threads to see what's new. Guess what I got for Christmas? A Yorkshire Tea tea caddy, direct from England! I may have posted about my wanting this tin tea caddy (box)on another tea thread somewhere; I saw it on the Yorkshire Tea website but they do not ship to the US. So I made contact with a fellow poster on a history forum that lives there and asked if he would order it for me. He said he didn't need to order it, he'd just walk to his neighborhood grocery store and buy it for me. And he did. I PayPal'd him the money for it plus his cost for shipping it to me. Turns out the tin cost only $3.56 US, but the postage was $13.56! Ha. He asked if I still wanted it - heck yeah, I accepted. And even tho I told him I didn't need it in time for Xmas, it came on Dec.23rd.! Put a big smile on my face when I saw the package.

Here it is under the tree.
    {{!gwi}}

It also came with 80 Yorkshire Tea bags inside. I love it.
    {{!gwi}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

My tree and decorations will be up until after Jan. 6th., old Christmas. I'll light the inside and outside lights one more time that night and then it's time to get things back in order.

My project for this winter is to attempt to repair the springs and webbing on the library furniture - three big pieces. I've watched and bookmarked videos I found online showing the process, and depending upon how much damage I find I should be able to do it. Of course I need to buy a couple tools and supplies. In the end, I'll more than likely discover it's just too much of a job for me and I'll have hire it out. That means big $$$. ugh. But I think it may be cheaper than buying new furniture.

• User
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse, my deco, such as it is, will not be down until the 6th either. I'm so tired of moving stuff, packing and unpacking, trying to remember where it all is, where to put it, that I don't want any more confusion. I am thinking it is easier to throw everything away and then buy sparingly as the need arises. Which won't be often.

Love that tea tin you got. My favorite is Bengal Spice by
    Celestial Seasons. And I found at Logee's nursery (CT) that I can buy a camellia sienensis (tea plant), and grow my own tea. It will be in a container, but camellias grow here outdoors very nicely.

I'd like to see Lavender Lass get a tea plant for her greenhouse. But later, when it has a real greenhouse to live in.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Well all my Christmas is put away. Hehehe Since I put nothing up this is not much of a statement. BUT we did eat all the Christmas cookies.

My big accomplishment so far this year is the NEW kitchen faucet. WOO HOO I am such a happy camper right now. I had a friend put it in and I did pay him. He was so nice. I hope to hire him some more. Yes I could have done this it was a simple deal. Just not for me yet. My hands are too fragile still.

Second goal is to finish the kitchen back splash.I started the install last week since I did not have to take down Christmas stuff. The pictures are total work in progress. I needed to install the larger pieces to be able to know how to cut and fit the smaller pieces.I have already made four more smaller pieces to the point of needing grout. Will do a few more then have a grouting day and then do another go round of install. Eventually it will get done.

And did I tell you how happy I am with my faucet??? LOL It is tall but it does not splash at all in the sink. It is perfect.

There are 6 pictures just keep clicking the thumbnails until you get to the 2005 Christmas tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back splash

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Oh Shades! I love that. I really love the cannisters too.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

lavender, I've been goofing off in kitchens, too, even though mine is essentially finished. I've started on the upstairs guest room, started clearing off some bookcases to re-work, and move into the guest room. That will allow me to play 'musical cabinets', move them into the BR, and eventually start work on the dining area. OK, I'm tired now, just thinking about it.

schoolhouse, great story on the tea tin. Several years ago my inlaws had friends who visited from the UK. When the friends returned home they requested, of all things, some sugary breakfast cereal. Shipping costs were many times the cost of the cereal!

schoolhouse and shades, I love your vintage Christmas ornaments!! I didn't bother to get mine out this year, but my DDs put together a kid's tree, with the unbreakable things from long ago.

And, shades, that backsplash is wonderful. You have such talent and patience!

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

thanks Marti and Mama-gooose. I have a few more pieces ready to grout and then install. Maybe today.:^)

Schoolhouse that is a darling Tea Tin.Your tree is also lovely.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jakabedy- Congrats on the new room arrangement! It sounds like it's a lot more functional and comfortable, now. I know what you mean, about trying to simplify. I've spent the day going through things on my bookcases (books, display, dishes, even toys) to clean and sort. Goodwill is going to love me! LOL

Marti- Good for you, getting all your bills organized. Are you doing a spreadsheet, for your budget? I would probably just toss everything into a pretty box or file and deal with it, at the end of the week. I'm not that organized...unless I have to be.

Schoolhouse- I LOVE your tea caddy! I can't believe you got that from England...what a great friend. I like the part, where he just walked to the store, to pick it up for you. Don't you love the Internet? Oh, and good luck with your library furniture. It certainly sounds like a big project, but I'm always amazed at what you're able to do...in the kitchen, bringing stuff into the house, your garden. I feel like a slacker, sometimes :)

ML- It would be fun to get a real tea plant, for the greenhouse. What a treat! I can see why you've had enough of packing, this year. Once you've had a well deserved rest, I hope to see some pictures of your tea house!

Shades- Your backsplash looks wonderful! I really like the canisters, too...they look so nice. What a great project. Congrats, on the faucet, too!

Mama Goose- Your kitchen is so beautiful! I'm so excited that you're almost finished. I can't wait to see the guest room...it will be so much fun, to see you working on another project :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

jakabedy, aren't odd rooms the pits? Do you work from home in that room too?

LL, I have done a simple spreadsheet on excel but there is a website I want to try as soon as dd & I can sit down together with our computers.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'm really happy with that tin. Such a small thing to be so happy about. I have the kettle on right now, plus a pot of Sausage and Lentil Soup simmering for later. I've eaten so many sweets over the holiday I didn't dare pick up the package of donuts at the market but I do so love something with my tea. ugh. I should have bought a French baguette to eat with my soup at least.

All my xmas decorations came down Sunday. It took me all day. Everyone's projects sound so interesting, I already spoke of my furniture. I haven't even turned the chairs over yet to see what I'm getting myself into.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

marti8a -

I don't work from home. I used to (in a separate room) but have an office in town now. But I figure the fewer distractions I have on the homefront, the more I can focus on building my business (law practice).