Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Cross post on Decorating Forum

TxMarti
13 years ago

I don't know how many of you post there, but I'd appreciate it if you would read my post there. I know all of you know how hard it is to have a small room that is both attractive and functional.

(btw, I just got the strangest message when I tried to post this - saying my ID wasn't good anymore, and something about April 7. Has anyone else gotten that?)

Here is a link that might be useful: My post on the Home Decor Forum

Comments (25)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bump down. I give up.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Good heavens Marti. Don't give up so fast. LOL I am poindering a big move like you too and my brain is kind of tied up in that and a bit of a cold.

I was looking at the shelf piece.Is it in three pieces or is that an illusion? If it is three pieces can you put one of then where the small table is and the other two on the other side of that door way into the hall?

I do not think it would matter which pieces were together. Just what would work for you.Rethinking this fast. If you put the roll up desk piece in the right hand corner then the two shelf pieces would match on either side of the door way.

Then you could move the recliner out of that tight corner to the side of the soon to be opening. The put the small table next to love seat. This way you create a conversation area around the soon to be bar area. If people are sitting at the bar chatting with you in the kitchen there could still be conversation in the living room side. I am not sure if the double shelf side would get in the way of switch for your light. I usually run an extension cord around from behind furniture places in front of plugs if you think you will need that plug.

Kind of hard to tell with out the wall removed. how it would look. I am pretending the dinning table is invisible.LOL

Chris

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I give on gardenweb. Am I the only one getting that strange message? I have to log out and then back in every time I want to post But it doesn't give me the message until I've already previewed, and then I have to retype everything. Sooooo annoying.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Marti copy your message so when you get back to the screen you can just paste it in. I am not having that trouble yet. I say yet because GW has done some pretty wonky things over time.LOL

Have you done a computer clean up lately? Some times that will help. Some times a re-boot will help. Sounds like you are getting a pop up hanging you up.

Yes it would be very annoying.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Chris. The first time I tried to reply here, I had a long reply and it previewed fine but when I clicked submit, it went to the error screen and when I backed up, the typing box was empty. I copied the next few times. Yes, I have cleaned my cookies lately. I usually do it every 2 or 3 days. I just did a system restore to yesterday when I wasn't having any problems, and I'll see if this post works right.

Now that my frustration level is back down, I'll get back on topic.

Yes, the wall unit is 3 pieces. I thought of separating it and putting the roll top part on the adjacent wall and the other two next to it, so it makes an L. But that leaves an enclosed empty space in the corner but the thought of spiders building webs back there keeps me from doing it. I like your idea of the chair in that corner though.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marti8a- There was something on another forum (kitchens?) saying if anyone had made a complaint to GW lately, their password wouldn't work. I didn't read the thread, just the title...that may be the problem.

Now, I'm off to read your decorating post :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm, I haven't made a complaint lately, but I did a few weeks ago when I couldn't post at all. Wonder if that is why.

P.S. Ignore the link. I'm testing to see if that is what started it. It's just to gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first time it did it was when I posted the link in the URL slot on the OP on this thread - instead of just using html. I guess the system restore fixed it.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GW is even stranger today for me than yesterday. I'm not sure how much to type here because I'm not sure it will even post. Now I'm getting an adobe acrobat download screen every time I open a GW forum.

Sooo, to make this short, I'm not totally sure I understand where you were suggesting chair placement, but I've been playing around with the furniture today while I have the dining table out of the way. I can't walk down the hall or open the front door though, so I have to see what works and get the heavy wall unit situated, and then put the table back together.

So. Here's a pic showing where the wall is going to change. The black plastic bags are where the wall will be cut out.

{{gwi:1540903}}

I probably did some damage to a disc in my back, but I moved the sliders to another piece of the wall unit by myself and put it on the other wall. What do you think? I couldn't move both because I don't have enough sliders, but if it will work to have all 3 pieces on that wall, I'll get dh to help. They will cover the light switch though, that's the only problem. I might be able to slide my finger back to turn it on, but I don't know about dh. It will probably just annoy him.

{{gwi:2067120}}

I left the chair pretty much where it was, moved it out just a bit, and put the loveseat centered in front of the fireplace. It didn't work at all. It took up too much room across the narrow part of the room and left too much empty space behind it. So I angled it and like it much better. I also like it because I can put the small table behind it as a sofa table and cover up the back of the not-so-attractive double recliner. I wish I had a camera that would zoom out further, but this is what I've got. What do you think even with this limited view?

{{gwi:1540907}}

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think (finger's crossed) that my problems with GW may be over. I was able to sign in on the first try today, but this is my first attempt to post.

I'm going to repost my pictures here so you don't have to follow the link.

{{gwi:1540909}}
    {{gwi:1540913}}
    {{gwi:1540911}}
    {{gwi:1540897}}
    {{gwi:1540896}}

This is what I ended up with, and I'm pleased with the arrangement. But I am so bad at accessorizing that now I am completely stumped. I have the two pictures dh wants, and the one over the fireplace that can be hung anywhere. I haven't taken down the picture over the fireplace yet because it's heavy and high, but I've been wondering... what do you think the tall horse picture would look like there? Better with the clock, or both too tall?

Would you put something else in the wall units or on the table behind the loveseat? I just put those there because they were there. I don't like clutter, but it seems a bit stark.

• User
    13 years ago

mARTI, i'M going there to take a look right now. However, I've been online every day this week and this is the first time I saw your post appear. GW HAS been acting strangely of late. I have not been presented with bad ID or April 7, but I have been changing all my passwords as recommended by my Norton Antivirus. If you suspect anything is fouled up, change yours too.

Now let me go take a look at your crosspost.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I do like the corner chair and love seat with round table and lovely table behind love seat. All of that looks great.

The cornered shelves are good. But it would bug me having that blank corner. LOL but it does look good as you have it.

I can not tell if the shelves have backs on them. I have been known to cut a hole in the back of some thing to accommodate a light switch or usually a plug. I am seeing molding on your floor so the cabinets will not fit snug to the wall. Do you already have a rocker switch for that light or is it regular. Rocker switches take up so much less space and easier to poke that finger in there.

I liked your plastic bag mock up. Good idea.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Chris. Yes, the shelves have backs on them, and it is a rocker switch. I did another mock up with a chair next to them that I'll post when I get it loaded.

You know how we use a piece of paper taped to the wall to see what a picture size would look like? These plastic trash bags stuck to the wall by themselves! I just put a little tape on the door frame but probably didn't need it. If the bag didn't stick well, I just rubbed it on the carpet to build a little static electricity and then stuck it on.

Speaking of static electricity, I was at the computer last night and dh walked over to me (or shuffled over to me), touched me on the shoulder and zapped me. It hurt my shoulder, his finger, and I even felt it come through the finger that was touching the computer. And I had water boiling on the stove too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Marti do not change your mind just because of me.I really do like what you have done.

I totally understand the switch thing. I have one behind a piece of furniture and it is starting to bug me too.LOL Once I made up tongue depresses as addition to rocker switch so I could put some thing in front of it.Taped them on. Actually it worked pretty well. I even painted them to match the wall.

WOW on the bags.Never even crossed my mind to try this. GREAT idea.

Sorry you got shocked. That can really hurt.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh no, keep the ideas coming. That corner bothered me too and that's why I made a mock chair. I've been busy sorting through some old quilts today but I'll post it now. I never know what thread to put them on, so I'll start putting the pix on both I guess.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, this is a quilt on a stepstool, but pretend it's a chair. There's about a 4 foot walkway from the front door and between the "chair" and the end of the loveseat. Remember, the table won't be there much longer (I hope).

{{gwi:1540915}}

What do you think about a chair there? And if yes, what kind? I was wondering about a glider - one of those you see everywhere, with or without the footstool. Or maybe just an ottoman?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I think adding a chair there helps with the corner arrangement a lot. I am not sure on a foot stool.Seems there could be a trip factor.Adding a chair would certainly give a nice conversation area .I think a glider would be good or a small wingback.

Just looked at my smaller wing back and as it is a small foot stool or ottoman could be slid under it when not in use. Hummmmm On casters would be nice.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still tweaking and changed the picture over the fireplace.

Which is better? (click on picture to enlarge - they're big)
    Before:
    {{gwi:2067121}}

After:
    {{gwi:2067122}}

• User
    13 years ago

Marti, I thought one lady on the Decor forum had done the trick, so I held my tongue for this long. Imagine that! :)

But I cannot puzzle out the dimensions of your 3 piece shelving unit, so cannot totally tell if my idea might work.
    What I'm thinking is this:

Leave the entertainment shelving unit to the LEFT of your hallway door. But push it over to the corner. No problem with the switch that way, is there? That will leave you a long blank space adjacent to the hallway. I suggest that you hang multiple pictures of same size same orientation (all landscape oriented and not vertically oriented.).
    Then on the opposite side of the doorway, on that same wall, if you have room to butt the two open shelving units side by side, they will fit there quite nicely.

I suggest that you BULK UP the open shelving units with more STUFF. If you have some short and wide artwork, put it behind some of the decorative dishes. Put some books standing upright, and some big books stacked flat too so you need NO bookends.

Then, ACROSS THE TOP OF ALL THREE SHELVING UNITS, put some big baskets or ornamental boxes, maybe two per shelving unit. And in the middle over the doorway itself, put a large round or fan shaped ornamental object....could be wrought iron which is suitable to your decorating style.

And do not think you must smoothe your walls to lose the "Ponderosa" style as you call it. How about thinking of the way Tuscan walls look? They are stucco, and they have what is called "broken" color, which just means it is not a flat and single-tone color.

I'd consider something a little like a soft tan on the walls. But I've never had to deal with really high ceilings before, so that color advice should come from someone more knowledgeable. If you really like the blue furniture, I do think tan would be a good choice with that. Using natural colored basketry, maybe wrought iron (but not the old Spanish trail stuff, keep it more real looking)too. I'm guessing that your DH would like the wrought iron. But honey, you have to live there too, and should like what is going on in your house.

If you have framed photographs of your family, or of vacations, whatever, put them on that console table behind your love seat. If you hang any art work on the wall that goes behind the upholstered chairs, be sure to keep them LOW. Also, lower that painting above the mantle. Move the object now beneath it to the LEFT end of the mantle, and leave the clock where it is now. Remember, paintings are to be hung at EYE LEVEL. If the mantle painting is even just stood on the mantle itself, the top of it would help lead the eye cleanly across the entire wall from window to window, I think you are hanging curtains soon, right? So plan of hanging the painting so its top is the same height as the curtain rods. Think about getting some bulky rods, and having the curtains hung by the huge grommets, because that will give a strong horizontal look to a really vertical wall (nice fireplace) The rods could be black metal, of course, or the dark wood same color as your mantle finish.

Whew, I'n not going to reread this because I might try to change something and lose the whole deal. I don't think you need to do a lot of expensive stuff to your living room, but oh my that is a LOT of space to paint !!!!! How in the WORLD do you get up there to PAINT?

• User
    13 years ago

Oh drats! I just looked again, and saw there is a wall switch also on the wall beside the doorway into the hall.

If the open shelving units also have a back on them, but otherwise would fit in the space side by side flat on that wall, I really recommend that you make a hole in the back. Don't worry, it can always be replaced, even become invisible, if you hang on to the plug you cut out. But if they would fit side by side, that is what I'd do with the open shelves.

That would give you a long expanse of wall with nothing on it, opposite your entry door, right? At least, once you move the dining table out? There would be room for a chair yes. And maybe two straight chairs with the really pretty table now behind the loveseat between them.

Oh, Marti, I hope I am not giving you doubts. If you could cut out squares for furniture and draw the room to scale with the doors and windows and such, you could move things around very easily. Save your back and your floors. :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marti- I've been reading this for some time, but wasn't sure I had anything to contribute (since I like your Ponderosa walls and your DH's artwork).

Anyway, I think your seating area works well and I like your shelf units. Have you thought of painting the walls a very soft golden color? I painted my kitchen with this color (I'll try to find the paint can to see what it's called) but it looks great with our cabinets...which are very similar to all your wood.

It warms the room up, but not too much...and it looks good in sun and artificial light. It's funny, because I usually don't like yellow/gold walls, but this is so soft, it's almost like a pale, golden/peach color and I really like it.

This color might pick up a little of ML's suggestion for a Tuscan theme, which might give you some new direction for accessories, etc. I think the tan color is making it seem more western/Ponderosa to you. Anyway, sorry I don't have more to offer, but I will try to find the paint color for you :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ML, I walk a fine line between layering and clutter, and I'm not sure how to add things without it looking like I just crammed stuff in there. I also want to change out the fabric in the back of the cabinets, but again, totally stumped what to put there.

I put back the big picture on the fireplace today. Not only was the smaller one a bit too small, but I didn't have anywhere else to put the big one. It looks too big on most walls.

The mantel is eye level, so anything above it is going to be too high, and I don't want to permanently cover the outlet. I use it several times a year. It's the rest of the year that it bugs me. I bought a single wood candlestick today, but I really think I need 3 to balance the weight of the clock.

I was at Lowe's today so glanced at their curtains. I'll make my own, but I saw these (sorry, couldn't put a picture in here). Doesn't really show, but they are blue with a thin tan line that looks like it will match the brick. How do you think something like this will look? Maybe a little less plaid?

I hadn't considered photos on the table behind the loveseat, so I'll gather some & see how it looks.

LL, the walls are a butter color right now. Depending on the amount of light, it can look really yellow, or really tan.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Marti can you add some thing to your plug cover to make it blend into the bricks.Thinking sand the plastic a little and do some faux brick look on it.

I did see something in your pictures was not sure what it was. Great to have it there for sure.

I think I would just sponge on some brick reds. Couple dollars in paints and byby cover. LOL

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti can you add some thing to your plug cover to make it blend into the bricks.Thinking sand the plastic a little and do some faux brick look on it.

*slapping myself on the forehead* Of course! Why didn't I think of that?!!! That's why I love you all and this board.

• User
    13 years ago

Marti, I saw the floor plan for your living room. And now I have a couple more thoughts to throw into the circle for consideration.

Centering that loveseat on the fireplace is fine as long as those 3 wooden units are not blocking a passageway.

I do not know the dimension of each shelving unit. Are they about 30" wide and 72" tall and 15" deep?

couple of questions:
    Could the three of the units be lined up behind the love seat facing the door to the bedrooms? With no furniture on the interior wall opposite the doorway from the foyer, you could put a tidy reading chair in that corner with a small table and lamp there.

I still would love to see all of your framed art and maybe a couple of sconces for depth, around the doorway to the bedrooms. Go right up the wall and treat it as a whole art wall.

Then down that wall which ends in your kitchen/dining bar, consider some of those floating shelves in the dark wood like your mantle.

On your mantle, to bring it down lower, see about a trailing plant that will hang down in front of the brick more. If you could move the clock someplace else, and add an object more horizontal and low, that would be great. The clock is beautiful, but it is quite vertical and you need to emphasize horizontal lines on that end wall.

Keep the single recliner at an angle, maybe find a wrought iron nesting pair of glass topped tables (Pottery Barn has a set in their Tanner line as an example) which would fit with your decor, whether "Ponderosa" or "Tuscan."

Just wanted to post cause I know you are still meditating on this. :)