Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

OT - small independent trash pick-up

I love rural living. Although we could burn our house trash, what we don't compost or recycle, we have picked up by a small, locally-owned company. This is part of the note that I received in this year's payment coupon book:

"For the 2015 year, prices as of now will remain the same. I was going to raise the price $.50 this year, but since gas prices went down I decided to wait. If prices go back to $3.00 or over please add the $.50 to your payment.

We are going to try and recycle some more this year, so if you would like to help and put your cans in separate bags it would greatly be appreciated. (This is only by your CHOICE. You don't have to do this)"

(Italics, mine.)

Isn't that just a nice example of old-fashioned service? They also used to buy GS cookies when my girls were young. :)

Comments (11)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

that's awesome! Used to be like that where I am - until developers bought up tons of desert and started building... and city folk moved out here.
    my postman used to be able to leave a pkg on the ground by the box at the road. Often he'd drive it back here. No more. If a pkg doesn't fit in the box he (a new guy I'm sure) leaves a notice in the box and I have to go over to town to get it. That didn't even used to be so bad until they built the new po office to hold all the new peoples mail... and the lines gone very long. Now it's a real PITA to get a pkg by the PO.

Now my water people are still like that but not so many of us have water hauled anymore. Newer house dev had area wells put in and some people haul their own water. But my people would even leave me water if I weren't here. Once I slept thru the delivery and found a note on my door. He stopped by another day (someone else's delivery day) to pick up his money. And I have bees out by the tank so I always go out to be with him in case he'd get stung. He's afraid of 'em and they've never bothered me. I think they know me by now... I felt really bad the day I didn't make it out there. I couldn't believe I slept thru the truck beeping.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

It's still like that here. The thing is, I never know when the garbage man is coming! I've been collecting feed sacks just because I don't want to fill up the little two wheeled dumpster, not knowing when he will come. Eventually I will bring the barn garbage can up with all of them in it and leave it beside the other container. If they would keep making them out of paper instead of plastic I wouldn't have a problem. There are only so many empty plastic feed sacks you can recycle!

I have my own well but I worry a lot about ground water. The water table is very high here and I'm surrounded by cultivated farm land. My pasture gets flooded every spring and often in the summer/fall, too. I don't want my horses wading through it or eating the grass that's been under it. Mostly it sits on the pasture grass so long it kills it. I've quit reseeding. It got to be yearly. Too expensive.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If my mailman has a package, he pulls up to the front sidewalk and beeps. His wife was my son's 2nd grade teacher. The substitute driver will leave a package on the back step, if I don't make it to the car in time. I think she went to school with my older daughter.

The UPS man brings the packages up on the front porch. His daughter and step-daughter went to school with my younger daughter.

BTW, I just had my JD lawn tractor serviced by the local dealer--lol, the pick-up/delivery guy is one of my distant cousins. His brother was one of my HS teachers, and later performed my wedding ceremony.

I don't think the connections have any bearing on the services rendered, but it's nice to to have a friendly connection to all these folks.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I live in a huge metro area near downtown. I went to the mailbox around Christmas and found the card below. Surprise! (I'll get around to telling them you are not supposed to put anything in the mailbox.)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

So nice when you can live in a small town for so long every one feels lie family.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a nice note. I know there are helpful people everywhere, but I remember when our small family moved across the country, I really missed the multi-generational hometown connections.

Oh, I just thought of another--the mailman that we had when I was growing up, was the father of my current mailman. I am not making this stuff up. :)

• User
    9 years ago

Mama, see you thinking about trash pickup we must be on same wave length.

Cannot make a link with my Kindle. But visit Trashdance.com for a video about the workers of trash.

I took pictures yesterday of the "Construction Dance" and the artistry of mudding wallboard, sort of like Venitian plaster without color pigments.

• User
    9 years ago

Wall cabinets gone, look at wall pattern

• User
    9 years ago

It wants a message

• User
    9 years ago

Our postman is retiring soon. His wife has dementia. He will come to our open house and see my HOSTA garden. He reads my NYT delivery with my approval...just Sunday paper...we chat. Our automated municipal trash and garbage has good workers, not small town, but we sure do let them know how much their work means to us.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You smell that? I love the smell of drywall mud in the morning.

Smells like ... victory.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 14:20

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations