Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoriginalannebert

Need good but not expensive 18' dishwasher

annebert
15 years ago

I have room for an 18" dishwasher, and am looking for reviews from real users. The appliances forum is full of rave reviews for $1500 Miele and Bosch, but that's not exactly in my price range. I'm hoping folks on this forum will have more down-to-earth advice. My kitchen is open plan with my living area, so I'm hoping for very quiet. Also don't want a 2 hr wash cycle, like the GE 18" in my father's retirement condo .

Comments (12)

• steve_o
    15 years ago

Frigidaire makes one in that width, at closer to the GE price. I'm not a "real user", just one who has considered it for a home I'm remodeling. I have no idea how long the cycles take; I will just note that the most water-conscious dishwashers tend to take longer because they use less water over more "cycles".

• sduck2
    15 years ago

I've had the GE 18" for 8 years and love it. I don't notice the noise level because I usually turn it on at night and head upstairs. I also have only used the short wash since everything is rinsed AND I only run it twice a week. Hmmmmmm, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

whirlpool is great for an 18 inch dishwasher

• ilmbg
    15 years ago

Well....what did you do? Tell us what you did for a smaller house!

• patrushka_ma
    15 years ago

I had the GE 18 in a small condo and it was fine. The interior design was good; I really liked the way you could pack so much into it. I am in yet another small condo(measure my kitchen by inches, not feet) and redoing the kitchen and will go with the Bosch ($950 +/-) because who the heck knows who is making the GEs now since GE went out of the appliance business. I also love the fully integrated style (no knobs or controls on the front) in a small kitchen because the flow with the other cabinets is better. I think GE might mnake a fully integrated 18 now though. Good luck. How about your other appliances? Going small? Would love to hear more about the Blomberg, Leibherr or Fagor 24" fridges. I saw a GORGEOUS Vestfrost 24"W, 80" tall fridge yesterday, but I guess they don't have a good service record.

• joycedc
    15 years ago

Patruska: I have the 24" Fagor and love it. I couldn't afford the 18" Bosch so I got the 18" GE. I also have the 24" all gas Bertazzoni range and love it, too. I wish small appliances didn't cost so much more than the standard sized appliances. Suppy and demand, I guess.

• catwat
    15 years ago

Check out Consumereports.com. They review a bunch of them.

• annebert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I still haven't bought the dishwasher. I'm a renter, so I had to wait until my landlord got around to getting a plumber and an electrician to give quotes on the installation costs. The electrician _may_ come this week.

I had to laugh at the previous post on getting a portable and "putting it in the storeroom". In a 600 square foot house, there is no storeroom. And no floor space for a portable, since the water heater, washer, and dryer are also in the kitchen.

Because I have chronic fatigue, a dishwasher is really worth it to me. Mostly because a) dirty dishes are stored out of sight and b) the machine washes them! - what a treat!

Realizing that installation is going to cost me around $400-500 (my landlord is a general contractor, so the contractors he uses are excellent but pricey and a new electrical circuit is needed as well as the plumbing) I am probably going to go with a whirlpool because it's the cheapest. There is a GE profile available in 18" and my sister's GE profile is absolutely silent - but it's $750 for the 18" model

It's frustrating that there appears to be no way to get the information I really want, like how many Db does it generate, how long are the different cycles, etc. So I'm just going to wing it - but I will report back eventually.

• ilmbg
    14 years ago

I thought I posted what I have in Texas...it is either a whirlpool or a Hotpoint. I ordered it through Home Depot or Lowes, I don't remember. It is built-in and very quiet. It has 3 cycles I think. Sorry I am not there now or I could tell you everything- model number, etc.

• randy427
    14 years ago

If you have room to install a DW, you could turn that space into a 'garage' for a portable. Though it may not be as pleasing to look at, you save the cost of plumbing and wiring. You might even be able to devise a way to load, hook it up and run it without pulling it out of the garage.

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Can you find a friend to install the dishwasher? Where will it be located? Do you need to remove a cabinet?

I did it myself, a no brainer, just plug the thing in. If you have a garbage disposal, then there is an electrical outlet under the sink to use. The hose connections are easy too. I know this would be difficult for you alone, but a friend or nieghbor certainly could help and only take 1/2 hour. Save some money if the landlord isn't paying for this. And I don't think you need an inspection, at least not in my area.

Information on dishwashers should include "quiet" info, but you can also wrap it with a sound barrier which is nothing more than insulation batting. They add a paint layer on the outside and the barrier to sound proof. Also one with 3 wash arms, upper/mid/lower gives the best washing. And a disposal option if possible. All would save you a lot of time.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

if the dw isn't bought yet, GE and whirlpool have 18" ones for about 600.00. look at a store that sells 2nds, floor models etc - often there is nothing wrong with them but they sell a lot cheaper.