Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwendolynne_gw

Living room dimensions?

gwendolynne
17 years ago

Our house has 3 rooms on the main floor - kitchen and attached (one wall open) dining room and the separate living room. When you walk into the house, you see the space between the dining room and kitchen, you don't see the opening to the living room at all.

When people come to visit, they walk into the kitchen, but since there is nowhere to sit in there, they end up sitting down at the dining room table. I don't mind having people around while I'm flitting about putting the finishing touches on dinner or whatever, but I find it stressful to have everyone plunk themselves down at the table and looking like they are waiting to be served. On the other hand, when people do actually end up in the living room, it's a bit of a pain to have a conversation if I'm going back and forth to the kitchen.

All this to say...we're finishing our basement, and will be moving our living room furniture down there and replacing it when we're done. At that point, we're considering flipping the dining and living rooms. This will give us a nice big dining room with a fireplace (and room for a buffet/sideboard, piano and maybe small sitting area) and a smaller seating area open to the kitchen. My only concern is that the "new" living area will be too small (it's 10.5 feet wide, 12 feet long on the outside wall with a patio door, 7 feet long on the opposite wall adjacent to the stairs)

I think we'd be looking for seating for 4-6 and will change the kitchen island to have a bar-style overhang where people could sit too, but I've been wondering if the size of the room is realistic to do this. Currently the dining room houses a 60-inch square dining table (seats 8) and corner bookcases we use as a china cabinet. Pulling out the seats near the bookcase is squishy.

What are the dimensions of your small living room (or other seating area), what furniture do you have in it and how functional is it? Showing your layout would be greatly appreciated! Many TIA.

Comments (4)

• emagineer
    17 years ago

There was a posting in the Decorating forum today about "Keeping Rooms". Links and wonderful pics of small rooms. I loved them. The thread was called Where Oh Where?....so you don't get confused...and listed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping Room

• johnmari
    17 years ago

My living room is a very poorly designed 12x12 room. It's open to the kitchen via a wide doorway (which we'd narrow by 1/3 when we redo the kitchen eventually) and is the primary traffic lane to the kitchen from the front door which is the main entrance, the mudroom entrance is on the opposite end of the house from the driveway so it's NEVER used. We don't have a family room. Here's the floorplan:

{{!gwi}}

The big green blob is a big cushy upholstered bench - kind of like a ginormous ottoman, 61x27" - that I call my "lounge". Piled with pillows it makes a great nesting spot with a book, and it will seat three friendly people. One of the things that makes the room so irritating is that there's pretty much only one way it can be arranged. I can't move the couch in front of the window because it'll block the heat (that whole wall is taken up by a baseboard radiator) as well as get the leather cooked by both the heat and what sun comes into that bay window. Moving the tv to the other side of the fireplace would put it in just the right place to catch the glare from the window, that's where we put it when we first moved in - for about a day and a half! The LR also has two small wooden armchairs, which I'd really like to get rid of but can't afford to replace at this time. I'd love to put a little settee (the sort that's up on legs so as not to block the heat) there if I found one shallow enough front-to-back; we inherited a little Eastlake piece that I was going to put there but DH loathed it. LOL We can seat 8, 9 if we bring in another chair from the library, without anyone having to take a floor pillow. With lawn chairs and floor pillows we got more than 20 in there for our House-Swarming, but it's not something I'd want to do often!

We also did the flipperoo - the room we use as the LR was originally the DR but we really wanted the fireplace in the LR, so we designated the original LR (same size but not a traffic lane) as DR which we converted into a library because we needed the room for the books! We're fanatical readers and don't even have all the books unpacked because we haven't got bookshelf space for them all... and we don't even save everything we read. LOL

• mlzellers
    17 years ago

@ johnmari: what program did you use to mock up your living room?

Im in the same boat as the OP and i think being able to move stuff around in a virtual enviroment would help me out greatly.

• johnmari
    17 years ago

That's the free Arrange-A-Room utility at BHG.com. Limited, but well, it's free! LOL I added some details and touchups in Paint but the main part of it is from BHG.

Because I know someone will ask ;-) to be able to share your plan you need to make a jpeg out of it, you can't post a link to the site and have it cough up your plan. What you do is put the BHG window to its maximum size and press the "PrtSc" key on your keyboard. This takes a "screenshot", saving a picture of whatever is on your screen. Open up your Paint program (if you're using Windows, or whatever its equivalent is if you're on a Mac or Linux) and choose "paste" to paste that screenshot into that program. Crop off all the extraneous stuff and when you go to save it, choose "save as" and scroll down to ".jpeg". Then upload it to your preferred photo hosting site like photobucket or picturetrail, and copy the html tag they provide (the one with angle brackets like , not the one that has square brackets like [ ]) in your post.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!