Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room Dimensions

Posted by jessdmiller (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 10:48

What are your room dimensions?

My parents house recently burnt down and I'm trying to come up with a nice efficient floorplan for their new house. Here is what I'm working with:

*Approximately 1000 sf
*There will be a basement so there needs to be stairs.
*They live on a farm so there needs to be a decent sized mudroom.
*They want two bedrooms. They will have their bedroom and the second one will be used for my moms craft room.
*Need to have room for a decent sized table (so some sort of dining room but doesn't have to be separate - can be country kitchen)

Really what I'm wanting to know is what your room sizes are so I know how small I can go yet still function.

If anyone has small floorplans with mudrooms they could share that would be awesome too.

Thank You!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room Dimensions

Room sizes are less important than layout, IMO - placement of doors, windows, architectural features like fireplaces can really limit how a room functions, especially a smaller room. My house is <1250sf but it's an old Victorian with a lot of "remuddling" so there is a great deal of wasted space. My current mudroom, for example, is approximately 6x8' but it also has five doors - side porch which is the primary entrance, back yard, half bath, laundry closet, kitchen - and one large window so it's pretty much just a useless pass-through area, there's nowhere to hang or put anything. The best mudroom I've had only had about 4' square floor space but it only had two doors, one to the outside and one to the kitchen, and the other two walls had floor to ceiling closet/cabinet storage. It was a little extension on a small cabin I rented in college, making an "airlock" style entrance to keep the cold Maine winter out. I've had an 8x8' kitchen (wall to wall, not open floor area) that was efficiently designed and a joy for two people to work in without banging elbows; my current kitchen is MUCH larger (something like 14x18' just for the actual kitchen part; PO opened up the back half of the house so the kitchen/dining room area together is something like 18x20-ish) but it's so badly laid out that it's a real pain for people who actually cook. DH and I are constantly crashing into each other and there's jack for storage. You might want to ask over on the Kitchens forum about small eat-in kitchens, too, some people have come up with ingenious designs.

WRT bedrooms, if you use built-ins or something like Ikea's PAX system for storage there is less need for freestanding space-eating furniture like dressers and thus you can have a smaller room. Personally I wouldn't want to go smaller than 10x12' to comfortably accomodate a queen bed and two not-too-big nightstands and have plenty of room for doors' swing, DH and me moving around at the same time, etc. Mum's craft room should have tons of built-in-type storage to keep clutter from accumulating and make more efficient use of the room. If she sews, an in-the-wall folding ironing board is a must!

Have you searched this forum for the words "plans" and "floorplans"? I know many people have posted sites with floorplans.

o
RE: Room Dimensions

In my previous small house, I had only 8 windows in the story and a half Cape Cod style house. But because the windows were all large, the house did not feel dark at all.

Ask your parents if they are "bedroom" people. Ha! Ask if they spend a lot of time in their bedroom relaxing, reading, etc. or do they mainly go in their bedroom to sleep and change clothes. I'm not a "bedroom" person so a large bedroom is not a high priority. In my old 1910 bungalow my bedroom is about 11' x 13'.

And I wish I had a good sized mudroom for the dog, recycling, boots, coats, etc. I wouldn't mind if the washer/dryer were in the mudroom - and some cabinet storage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here