Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Living in a 12X20 shed

emagineer
14 years ago

Saw this on the Decorator Forum. Thought it may be spam, but had to do a search to find their location.

A travel trailer park, but on the high end with 12X20 sheds for living outside of the trailer. I would rather have a cottage, but they show some very clever ideas for living in a small space. Exceptional interiors.

The link is a blog, run a google search for Retama Village to see their grounds and amenities.

Here is a link that might be useful: 12X20 shed living

Comments (18)

• larke
    14 years ago

Love those!!!

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

The one that doubles as a garage is a great idea. I would love to do that with our next house. I hate that guest rooms are usually just wasted space, but a murphy bed in a garage could be useful 365 days a year.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"A murphy bed in a garage could be useful 365 days a year."

Yup. Just ask my sister's husband. :)

----------------------

Here is a listing below of some of the lots. Click them and they show exteriors and interiors of some. Get keywords for deeper searches on individual properties.

Some of these are incredibly creative with small spaces. The pull-out door frame for the toilet area is ingenious.

*Did you catch the one that had a Smart car parked next to it? Made me chuckle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retama Village

• User
    14 years ago

Neat concept. I am fond of ideas which make use of small spaces in out-buildings. One of my favorite blogs is SHED STYLE by the author Deborah Prinzing. She is also on Facebook.

From my brief tour of Retama Village, it is really a seasonal outdoor motel room. I would, as the original poster says, have a place of my own along the nature of a cottage, conservatory, greenhouse, converted garage, guest room, aviary, whatever you can imagine, in my own back yard.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

When I first built a shed for my studio at our last house I had it set up so it could be used as a second guest room if needed. The shed was 10 by 16 foot. Then later decided I needed the space more than the guests we do no have did. Hehehehe So I removed the bed and tried to make it into my studio.

It turned out to be more of just a storage room because I did not really want to be out there all alone being creative. And it was hot in the summer and really cold in the winter and to trudge through the snow. And then I found out glass stored in freezing weather makes it more brittle when cutting it. Who knew? So this house I got my inside studio and loving it. And yes it is sort of a big space all selfish just for me. And that is how it is going to stay.

I would like to get a screen door for the room though so I can still visit with my husband when I am working in the studio. But then I might have to feel concerned when I want to use my grinder or play my weirdo music. Hummmmmmmmmm

I think every one lives differently in their houses. Some have lots of family and company and that makes a huge difference in how a guest space would be set up. I had to have a big talk with DH about all of that when we finally got shed of the guest room idea. Here I was in a small house with no room to do my thing and there was a whole room dedicated to guests that never come. What ever was the point?? So now things are different and it works perfectly fine. And the one guest we do have come to visit about three times a year says the room is perfectly comfortable for him when he comes.

These out door spaces are darling though. And for some living in a motor home it would be perfect. And I do see a couple storage ideas to take away from this I am considering trying here.

Chris

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

This is small.

Here is the website for the hotel:

http://www.dasparkhotel.net/

More photos:

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/cement-tube-houses.html

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Two things come to mind when looking at the sheds. Is the climate such that there is no need for heat or a/c? And you would have to feel very confortable with someone to use the bathroom for any real 'business' with folks sitting in the room, lol.
    But all in all, depending on the price, it is a cool idea.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

LOL at the concrete tube hotel. I'd be afraid it would roll with me in it.

Moccasinlanding, welcome! and can you link to that blog?

• emagineer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marti,
    I think this is the link. If not, sure has a bunch of fun ideas with gardens, sheds, houses. I want to paint my house the colors of all....

Here is a link that might be useful: Shed blog

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Thanks emagineer, I love those kind of blogs.

• brody_miasmom
    14 years ago

I think one big difference between a true shed and the Retama sheds, is the foundation. Most backyard shed have a wooden floor of some type and even if they are installed (placed really) on a cement slab, they still feel like a shed. The Retama sheds look like small buildings to me.

• User
    14 years ago

Sorry I was gone over the weekend.

Here is the link to Deborah Prinzing:
    http://www.shedstyle.com/

Once you are there, you can subscribe to the RSS feed, to her Facebook presence, etc.

I enjoy and frequently refer to her book about sheds also.

Here is a link that might be useful: ShedStyle

• User
    14 years ago

Marti, sorry I did not get back here in time to respond about the blog for Debra Prinzing.

I looked at the photo posted by Dilly Dally, with what looks to be a storm drain pipe, and thought immediately about the movie CANNERY ROW. In it, the heroine moved into an old boiler! It happens to be one of my favorite movies, of course. Taken from a couple of John Steinbeck short stories.

People can make the oddest things into comfortable and cozy nests.

Shades remarks about her shed studio not working because she was separated, and glass became brittle in cold weather, gave me pause. Of course, our problem is sort of the opposite, with things more often HOTTER than blazes and not COLD. This winter is an exception, of course.

But what we have as a project down the line, is our cinder block garage with NO ROOF and with a cement floor which tree roots split apart. The trees are now cut down, and I love this decrepit old building, with rounded corners like an old ESSO service station from the 1940s. I want to make it my greenhouse with Lexan/polycarbonate roof panels, a new cement floor raised up so a drain can be included. It is something that excites my imagination every time I look at it. I hope I live long enough to accomplish the project.

• movin-on
    11 years ago

For those of you who like smaller living spaces, there are been more updates to the 12by20 It's Only a Shed blog, you might find interesting.

I have enjoyed reading them and thought I'd re-share the updates since this post was mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Only a Shed

• ayesha_irshad
    11 years ago

its a very usefull link "movin-on"...
    i just saw it

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

"A murphy bed in a garage could be useful 365 days a year."
    Yup. Just ask my sister's husband.

:)
    LOL dally, my DH would love one of these sheds for--- himself(not the concrete tube hotel though). Small doesn't bother me, round walls would make me dizzy.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh MY! That photo by Dilly Dally reminds me of the movie CANNERY ROW, with Nick Nolte and ......Debra Winger....where she moved into an old boiler.

One of my favorite movies actually. Based on Steinbeck's short story or stories. Might have combined a couple in the plot.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

movin-on, that is an interesting blog, thanks for posting.