Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Oh the Southern Snow

columbiasc
13 years ago

I'm in the center of South Carolina and I got about 4 inches of the white stuff between about 4am and 9am Monday morning. Before you northerners laugh, keep in mind we have little if any snow clearing equipment and very few sand/salt spreaders. Schools closed, non-essential government (no comment), banks and many, many businesses followed suit. Snowmen popped up everywhere as did wave after wave of snowballs. Children and fun loving adults found even the slightest snow covered incline, grabbed inner tubes, boogie boards or just about anything that would slide and had a flung themselves downhill. Smiles and laughter were everywhere. The roads quickly turned to slush as a few brave souls drove here and there. Then, about 4pm, the rain started and since it never got above freezing, ice formed everywhere and the slushy streets froze over and are now long black slabs of ice.

My son and I spent most of the day inside my comfortably small home and while he and his online friends moved through level after level of their newest video game, I clicked around on the internet and found a few more interesting small home sites.

Derek "Deek" Diedricksen and his new book seem to be enjoying a nice round of popularity. The book looks like Bob Villa meets Mad Magazine. Search his name and follow the links down the rabbit hole and you will find yourself at least smiling. Take a peek.

Lloyd Kahn and his LloydKahnOn-going blog spot. Mostly interesting site with lots and lots of posts. Some thought provoking, some interesting, some contradictory and a few just weird. Still, worth a browse.

With that, I am headed out the door to creep along ice slicked roads as my office opens at a delayed 10am this morning. I will be covering 37 miles of mostly ruralish four lane which is my daily commute. Normal commute time 45 minutes. Today, I'm thinking an hour and 15.

PS - don't laugh Gargoyle, you'll be here soon! Two words, auxillary heat.

Scott

Comments (6)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I understand completely. I'm just glad we didn't get the ice. I got a big laugh yesterday when the tv showed local kids "sledding" down a hill. The hill might have had a light covering of snow at first, but by the time the video was filmed, the kids were sliding down grass to a snowy spot at the bottom.

We got snow Sunday, maybe 4 inches, and we still have some snow now but it's melting fast.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

Up where our property is, north of Greenville SC there was about 8". I wish I had been there for it!

• User
    13 years ago

"Maybe next year," Jay. I bet you get more than that.

I was thinking last year's cold winter was an anomaly, but now I'm not sure. I believe in global warming, just not in the winter? And all the jet stream patterns seem to be changing anyway.

Here in south Alabama, we are having several nights in the 20s. Enough wet stuff (rain in our case) to keep the cement guys from arriving to begin the Teahouse Reno job. But my friendly yardman got over his holiday and will start moving blueberry bushes and Japanese maples tomorrow. Not a one-day job, however. I also put little covers on my tropical plants. I did lose two nun's orchids that I forgot about. Their green leaves look like boiled turnip greens.

And Jay, have you done your JANUARY post yet on Conversations? hmmmmmm?

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

It's so cold up in Greenville, the snow is not melting, and schools remain closed tomorrow.

ML- Don't throw away frozen plants; we have had 'resurrections' from seemingly dead plants- sometimes months after the fact.

Maybe I'll start a January thread. Participation in monthly threads has been somewhat underwhelming, though.....

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

I completely understand. I went from PA, to FL, to GA. We got ice and no snow to speak of. It's unreal how quickly things shut down (and how much media coverage there is!) when there is no preparedness. Snow days were unheard of when I lived in PA, yet I've had the whole week off down here.

• columbiasc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was in a rush when I uploaded this post and didn't have time to add the links to the sites I referred to so see below.

Also, it looks like I didn't do a great job of proofreading on of my sentences. Sorry for the grammatical butchery.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Lloyd Kahn's Blog