desertsteph

ML - what's happening?

desertsteph
9 years ago

Is it done yet?

Comments (12)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Steph, ML's computer is down. She messaged me quick from her kindle. I know it is annoying to type on a glass screen.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx. is it the computer - or lack of electricity flowing?

• User
    9 years ago

First lack of electrical power. They kept turning breakers on off and just about killed it. My Norton security disappeared, could not load my photos, did not recognize my camera or phone, the external backup drive disappeared also. Bummer.

I want a laptop, DH says I solve problems by buying new, not repairing, but I am tired of losing files valuable to me. I think I have copied the files, but it shows as Library Files, not jpg. Do not want to lose 30 gig of garden and house records.

Wallboard is basically up ... mudding in process, ...not all holes in walls are made yet, like vent pipe for range hood. Must remove kitchen floors, last of old cabs which were built in place. Our walls require masonry bits, nails do not penetrate because the walls are stucco and not regular plaster. Saw blades same story. Walls reinforced by wire mesh, some over an inch thick too. Talk about Dusty!

I will upload to Flickr album what is interesting or revealing.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh wow - that is so awesome! (the pic, not computer stuff)

soon ML, soon! I'm so excited for you!

sorry about the computer problems. They are a bummer. Gone thru it myself. I just renewed my Trend Micro debugger and since I did I have a pop up about every few minutes (or anytime I change the screen - as in if I'd leave here and pull up kitchens). Driving me nuts (and I'm already so close!). I'm gonna call them but figured I should wait a day or 2 until maybe I'm not so disgusted with them... If this continues I'm gonna cancel them but don't know what I'll use. I learned yrs ago never to let Norton's be put on my computer. (sorry)

Am so glad you are able to post again!

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, Steph. I must be going nuts, because I'm seeing faces on my walls. Or perhaps it is the house's personality is showing up now.

First the picture of the sink wall with the upper cabinets removed, and the base cab doors off, and the woodcasing around the sink window gone, I do declare, it looks like the RIB CAGE of the kitchen. With its internal plumbing showing like an X-ray beneath.....I must need more sleep?
    {{gwi:2137384}}

...and now I notice this one....do you see the 2 blue eyes so round? Then the yellow nose? A wide white-toothed mouth with a pair of earrings at the sides? And then a white stiff collar with a skinny neck beneath?
    {{gwi:2137385}}

If you don't see it, I think I need a break!
    Tomorrow the plasterer comes again, but so does the carpentry crew with a plan to move my attic steps back and put in a new set. I hope. That will happen around 7:30 tomorrow morning.

And they called today to verify that time. I think when he showed up unannounced one time and woke me up, it scared him so bad his nerves won't take a chance it happening again. hehehehe (and I wasn't even rude....)

Anything that gets this show on the road quicker is fine and dandy with me. My DH, however, doesn't like his mealtime messed with. Nor does he thrive in a climate where disorder rules. Myself, I was used to such things having worked in offshore oilfield for 20 years. heheheh, that is where disorder is taken to a whole new level!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

moccasin,

LOL, Yes I see the figure on the wall, but I'm also drinking a Coors Lite.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

um, ML... I see the face too! and the earrings! good and bad news tho. Either they're really there and we're ok. Or there is no face and we're both goners...glad you got a pic of it tho...

sorry your dh has to put up with things messed up... it'll be over soon.

If someone showed up here and woke me up they'd be sorry too... I've had some very bad nights and often just get to sleep around 4 or so a.m. such a bummer.

• User
    9 years ago

Next thing discovered was the kitchen floor (the OLD floor, existing) starts out level at the dining room. But by the time it reaches its original 8 foot wide location by the old back door, (where it USED to be, that is)....it is more than 1 inch higher.

The kitchen was laid with pine tongue and groove, then covered by multiple layers of old linoleum and vinyl and then sticky back tiles. The solution to the leveling situation is to take up the old floors, put in new subfloors to level the whole thing (only spot with that problem), and then proceed to do the wood trim everywhere in the new construction, do the painting, and then have the flooring guy lay all that 1200 to 1400 sq feet of Bellawood 5 inch x 3/4 inch Select Ash wood throughout the house in one continuous job. I mean, after that I hope we slap those electrical fixtures up there, install the shutters for the living room (give it some privacy as our chosen guest room) and move SOME of our furniture back in the house.

I say SOME of the furniture, because I'm really really liking it almost empty. It seems to have BREATHING ROOM. You should see the two dachshunds running through the house.

What picture would best show the situation here, give the idea of some progress. Hold on while I look around. Okay I think this is the best one. I cannot draw the lines right now of what goes where, but maybe my photo editing software will work again.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh that is so open and all that light coming in your door and windows - looks wonderful!

• User
    9 years ago

I have a lot more pictures but forgot to take them off my Kindle Fire. Now I have appliances and such sitting in the newly floored rooms, so you don't see a clean slate anymore. I uploaded a few more from my phone to Flickr and will give the link to two albums...one is the album for flooring, showing Jason at work this morning on the master bedroom, the last room...then he goes to the fireplace for hearth and new surround in black granite tiles.

Home Remodel--Floors

and then the wall of the kitchen (it is still in the phone, so I link to the album as well)....yesterday I asked the contractor to move one of the cooking side wall sconces. The electrician had centered it from the header of the cased opening near the ceiling, and not from the edge of the wall itself. Naturally, the cabinets will extend all the way to the edge of the wall, with the range centered in that wall. So, the range hood must be centered, the sconces centered, and the shelves beneath them centered. That one fixture was off just a few inches, but it screwed up the whole wall, if you see what I mean. I kept measuring like a maniac and came up confused, until I figured out that ONE SCONCE was the problem and why it had to be moved. As a side note, my cabinetmaker talks to himself when he is measuring for cabinets, and it is all numbers, like he is recording them. Very funny believe me. We also needed the range centered, because the stainless steel countertops either side of the range should be precisely 36" wide, to avoid expensive cuts, and the two pieces of countertop and the 24" of the range equal the 96" of that cooking side of the kitchen. It HAD TO BE CORRECT. I've heard tales of how cabinets would not fit because something was "off" just a little bit, and I now understand how it can happen with such a small difference.

Home Remodel-1

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, it's good to see all that flooring down and going in! I love the light wood.

sounds like it's close to finishing touches - you'll be in that new kitchen very soon! also loved seeing your babies - they must be so confused. Or maybe they've gotten used to it and will wonder what happened when it's all done.

Are they using their door yet?

• User
    9 years ago

Not using the door yet, Steph, because the gate is open during the daytime. They are mostly crated in the study/bedroom except for morning, noon, and after the crew leaves for the day. They feel secure in their crates, so that is a big plus.

The cabinetmaker is at work building the cabinets and wall mounted book shelves. The finish or trim carpenters are here now laying the baseboards, which will not have the quarter-round piece in front of it. The painters will be back as soon as they are done, to apply finish touches and caulk the baseboards. Meanwhile, my parrot is hammering and squeaking along with the workers. He says, "I gotta go to work. I'll be back."

Picture taken 2-25-15 pm

Last room gets flooring laid. The bedroom has three pair of bifold wood french doors, 2 pair are closet, 1 pair the bathroom. Sitting room is in foreground, floors already down through the cased opening.