Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Should we be talked out of this?

User
13 years ago

Let me preface this post with remarks about our environment. We have a privacy fence around the entire back yard. We have two small dogs, including a 13 pound black and tan girl dachshund and a 11 pound boy maltese.

The doxie was very fond of the black (w/some tan) girl chicks we had here, until the neighbor turned us in to animal control. Dixie herded those 5 girls all over the yard and kept them together. She'd bump them in the butt to make them move along, and she never never attacked them, even when they would peck her. DH and I both think she adopted them as her babies. She is a huntress, no mistake about that. She has killed a mouse and a rat, but mostly she seems to want to play with other animals, tail wagging furiously when she spots them through the window, or smells them in their holes in the ground. Happy look on her face.

So, what we are thinking about giving her for Christmas, is a black and tan.....baby rabbit. My DH used to have rabbits when his children were small, and they were confined to a hutch. What I envision is a tame rabbit that looks like a wild rabbit enough that the neighbor next door will not consider us as raising livestock. I'm sure we can get a rabies shot for the rabbit, and make it a nice safe home, but mostly let Dixie have a live baby of her own.

I know that dachshunds are sight hounds, and I do protect my parrots from her quick hunting instinct. I do not let them have unsupervised free time. It is her NATURE to go after a moving target, and the speed with which she can dispatch her perceived prey is amazing. There is no second chance in such case. It's over and done with in a heart beat.

But what I remember is the way she whimpered and whined when I got the day-old chicks from McMurray Hatchery, and they were in the small plastic wading pool on the back porch. I thought we'd have trouble keeping her from harming those babies. But a few days after they arrived, one of the bolder chicks jumped to the rim of the wading pool and looked around. And there was Dixie, all excited and sniffing and poking it until it fell back with a flutter of tiny wings. As they got larger, I had less fear of harm coming to them from Dixie. She'd poke them in the butt, like a mama dog does her unweaned blind pups, but she did not continue that to the point of licking them clean. Nope.

However, the little Black Star girls developed more tan feathers like a necklace around their breasts and necks, and then it seemed that Dixie thought of them as slightly abnormal doxie pups. The chicks were so young, and not conditioned to expect the worse from a dog, so they accepted her, and she accepted them....they were a happy little family.

What I'm hoping to be able to achieve is something similar with a warm and fuzzy baby rabbit, too young to have heard the tales of brutality concerning DOGS. And if it does not behave like a prey creature, then Dixie won't act like a predatory creature. Or so my experience with her has shown.

So what advice do you have for us? Are we to be sadly mistaken and have the death of an innocent baby on our hands?

Comments (8)

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm... that's a tough call. Dachshunds are bred for hunting things in holes, like rabbits. She may accept it like the chicks, or the rodent smell might trigger a different response. I'm sure she knows the difference between a chicken and a rat, but the rabbit is closer to the rat, all things being equal. I know rabbits and dogs can get along just fine, but you'd want to closely monitor the situation. I know what you mean about speed- our dog kills snakes before they can strike at her!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to submit your thoughts, Jay.
    It is something I don't take lightly, harming a small creature is not my nature. It's a good thing I don't have to depend on catching what I eat.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

We have an odd situation here with the porch kittens. The dog,Clancy, does NOT allow them into HIS yard in the back but if they dash into the house when I open the door to take their dinner out to them he just stands and stares at them. No aggression at all. So in the house is ok with him. In his yard is not.

I know rabbits can be house broken. Maybe if the introduction is started in the house and they become buds then they can go outside easier.

My biggest concern is your wonderful plants. Are there any that will make a rabbit sick if eaten? I do not know what exotics you have there. I know a philodendron has toxic properties. I thought I saw some of them Not sure a rabbit would try them as a snack.

Maybe a kitten for her. But then you have the birds. In your case a kitten would soon learn the birds are off limits. Even our cocatiels and love birds were a threat to the cats and they never even considered them as snacks.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm looking online at some rescues that have lots of rabbits available. Some are young animals, but I think to succeed we will need a baby and a really small breed, like the Netherland dwarfs. That means I might have to drive over to towns in Louisiana close to Lafayette or Baton Rouge and get a dark colored rabbit with tan markings. That was the color of the chicks that Dixie adored, and tended like they were her pups, so I have an idea that could help.

What makes me marvel is that DH is all for this, even to having TWO bunnies. Some companionship for the bunnies is a good idea.

Well, that must wait until after Christmas, since I do not have time to deal with it at this time. Perhaps after the garage is finished would be ideal.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

When I was a little girl, we had a little dog (mutt) who loved all animals. She mothered the ducklings we got for Easter and they imprinted her as their mother and followed her everywhere.

Why not get your dog a puppy so she can be a real mother?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti, your suggestion makes a lot of sense......truthfully, I had not even thought about that as an option. hmmmmm.
    I'll wait and see...

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

ML, take it from me - no, not three!
    I cannot say why, but going from two dogs to three was hugely different from going from one to two. It went from "buds" to "pack." We saw it when we took in Casey (the spotted one - how could you not love that face?). DH said that the dog chaos went exponentially higher, "like the Richter Scale." One of the first things we saw is that Megan, our dominant female, had her "duties" double, and that seemed to stress her. Toby, on the other hand, finally had someone else to boss, and he became the cocky little guy he remains today. You should have seen him flip Casey, who was twice his height, onto his back and stand over him - butt in Casey's face! Megan really did get stressed, though. And so did we. Meggie never barked at passersby until Casey joined Toby in his barking. Then we had three barking instesd of one.

After Meggie passed, we got Bina after a year. I think I just want to love a lot of dogs. I should have remembered. Things changed, of course. We just have more chaos. Three different personalities with different needs. Much more awareness needed. As a working couple, we do not have the time and energy. You and your DH are retired and much more active than we are, though. It could work fine for you. I would suggest looking into the phenomenon first, to see if others see a third dog as a much larger responsibility than two.

Oh, we also learned the power of triangulation with Toby, Casey, and Megan. They never caught a squirrel, rabbit, possum, or mature bird as a duo, but add a hunter, and the prey were easily cornered. What a lot of noise and commotion for a 65 x 100 ft lot!

I do wonder if your little girl would see a rabbit baby as a rodent, or as a baby. I have no knowledge or experience to share. My friend had a housebroken rabbit, and really liked it as a pet.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy, once I had three little dachshunds, and it was a real bucket of worms. I don't think we are ready for that!

But I did find the breed of rabbit to get, called a black Tan rabbit. And it is the color of a doberman or in this case, a b&t dachshund. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

....AND THAT WAS MY PARROT ON THE KEYBOARD~~~~~

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022