Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

Thanksgiving traditions

flgargoyle
13 years ago

I hope all my 'small' friends have a terrific Thanksgiving! I know it will be hard especially for Mama Goose, but you are still in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanksgiving has become sort of a moving target for us in recent years, since we seem to lose loved ones around this time of year. Last year, the party was off-site, with our niece and nephew getting a beach house on funky little Anna Maria Island near here, and we brought everything with us, including my smoker to cook the turkey! This year, we have invited my son's girlfriend's parents; the first time they've been to our house. With my wife working tomorrow, the pressure is on for me to deliver!

I guess the most traditional thing around here, then, will be the food. Here's a partial menu:

Turkey (smoked)

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato casserole (with purple sweet potatoes this year!)

Bread (I make a huge 4-1/2 lb. loaf of country French)

Carrots

Green beans

Creamed onions

Santa Fe relish (cranberry/jalapeno/cilantro/onion/sugar)

Our guests are bringing an oyster souffle (?!)

Desserts will be Pumpkin pie and chocolate Pecan pie. I'm a pumpkin snob, starting with a fresh pumpkin. I've been making pumpkin pies for family Thanksgivings since I was 12 years old. What an honor to be asked to bring a pie at that tender young age!

Comments (4)

• User
    13 years ago

Ok Jay, have you added the SANTA FE RELISH to the RECIPE thread? Hmmmmm? I am an afficianado of both cranberry, jalapeno, and onion, so it would be PERFECT for my tastes.
    No so much DH, but then he is a delicate-mouthed Irishman raised on boiled everything.

Our meal was almost identical to yours, with an extra pie or two but definitely no cakes. DH baked a second turkey to take to his daughter's house, because ever since I cooked the giblet package inside the turkey, I've been banned from turkey prep.

It was a most enjoyable occasion, always great to be with my three granddaughters. They played their drums and piano and showed me their paintings. So talented and so beloved.
    We wound up the meal with coffee and tea for all, with much talk of funny events from the old days.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML- I added the relish to the recipe thread.

Dinner yesterday went off without a hitch; I guess if you do something enough times, you kinda get the tune in your head.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I missed this thread. I have kind of been MIA with work.

We do not usually have traditional anything but do love turkey and I usually do it with all the fixings.

Spur of the moment we went to friends house and enjoyed pork roast. I brought some things unplanned and it turned out I filled in with things she had not planned for so it was a huge feast. Her MIL brought a pea salad and it was so yummy I had to rave over it . Then Yesterday at the office I get MIL water payment in the mail along with pea salad recipe. I can hardly wait to make it again. It was so simple and so good. And so sweet of her to write it out for me.

Chris

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Jay, Thank you for your kindness. Our Thanksgiving was different this year, but my family wanted to keep up the tradition of having the meal at our house. My sisters planned the food, and took care of the cleanup, and everyone else brought a covered dish. I managed to make my traditional cranberry salad (with Jell-o, lol), and homemade bread (Challah recipe, without braids.)

We set an extra place, and gave thanks for all the wonderful Thanksgivings that we've been privileged to share.

Are you starting a 'December Thread'?