Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Project Gutenberg proofreading

Posted by moccasinlanding (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 9:49

During October, I was visiting the website of Project Gutenberg, which makes available numerous formats of e-books for free. I discovered that there is an arm of the group which proofreads and formats the out-of-copyright materials so that Project Gutenberg can have great clean files to release.

And that is what I'm doing these days. I'm not the best at it, but I'm willing to learn. And as a bonus, I feel good about contributing to the common good. There is a LOT of good information AND literature, which needs to be available to everyone.

I like to think of it as emptying the ocean one spoonful at a time. It can be done, if you have the patience and the determination. One page at a time too. You can read several books that way, a couple of pages here, a couple of pages there.

I was visiting Project Gutenberg to look for a short story that I'd read originally back in the late 1950s or early 1960s, in a collection titled TALL SHORT STORIES. And this story was PIGS IS PIGS. It was hilarious, and I laughed until I cried, all by myself, that first time I read it. So when I found it at PG the other day, I downloaded it in Kindle format for my Kindle reader, and then read it to my DH.....as before, I was laughing so hard I was wiping tears from my eyes. He appreciated the humor of it, even though it is an old story.

Sometimes you can read something which is indelibly imprinted on your mind, maybe your heart, and you never lose it. Literature is an important part of enriching our lives. If no other way for me to influence the future generations, I'd like to think that I helped bring literature to those busy little minds of the next Americans coming up. Heaven knows, they need to be educated or we'll cease to be the America our forefathers envisioned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
And also LIBRIVOX

This is another source of free online material in the public domain, but it is being read aloud, a recorded version. So here is the link to that one too.

I'll have to explore this further, because I've been paying for Audible.com (owned by Amazon it seems), and would welcome a savings for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Librivox, spoken books free online

o
RE: Project Gutenberg proofreading

wow, I will have to tell DH about this, it is something he may enjoy. Proof reading for the good of everybody will be more rewarding to him than getting frustrated at Scrabble opponents who end the game just before he is about to win it, or playing against someone who knows how to make their scrabble clock run backwards (that really happened to him this weekend!).

Thanks for the heads up, ML!

o

Nancy, I'm pleased that you have an interest in the topic.
If your DH gets involved, it is sort of addictive. I've met so many nice people there in the last month. ALL over the WORLD too.

I do not like to play online games, unless it is one person, me. I cannot imagine why someone playing would want to cheat in the first place!

Is your DH enjoying his new music room? Is that sweet desk his playpen? And do you sit there on your loveseat or in the rocker, with a faint smile on your face, reading away and enjoying a cuppa tea? I think your new room will be the most pleasing one in the whole house, bar none. And that includes the kitchen....nice as it is, it is a utilitarian space. That music room is a space for the soul.

o

That sounds interesting ML. I like to proofread, and that is the ONLY time it would be appreciated. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here