Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Project Gutenberg proofreading

User
12 years ago

During October, I was visiting the website of Project Gutenberg, which makes available numerous formats of e-books for free. I discovered that there is an arm of the group which proofreads and formats the out-of-copyright materials so that Project Gutenberg can have great clean files to release.

And that is what I'm doing these days. I'm not the best at it, but I'm willing to learn. And as a bonus, I feel good about contributing to the common good. There is a LOT of good information AND literature, which needs to be available to everyone.

I like to think of it as emptying the ocean one spoonful at a time. It can be done, if you have the patience and the determination. One page at a time too. You can read several books that way, a couple of pages here, a couple of pages there.

I was visiting Project Gutenberg to look for a short story that I'd read originally back in the late 1950s or early 1960s, in a collection titled TALL SHORT STORIES. And this story was PIGS IS PIGS. It was hilarious, and I laughed until I cried, all by myself, that first time I read it. So when I found it at PG the other day, I downloaded it in Kindle format for my Kindle reader, and then read it to my DH.....as before, I was laughing so hard I was wiping tears from my eyes. He appreciated the humor of it, even though it is an old story.

Sometimes you can read something which is indelibly imprinted on your mind, maybe your heart, and you never lose it. Literature is an important part of enriching our lives. If no other way for me to influence the future generations, I'd like to think that I helped bring literature to those busy little minds of the next Americans coming up. Heaven knows, they need to be educated or we'll cease to be the America our forefathers envisioned.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure