Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_girl

New

maine.girl
12 years ago

Hi - I'm new to the forum. And new to home-owning... We're building a small ranch, 1200 square feet and I love all the advice and smaller homes here! I would get discouraged when we were building and I couldn't afford bigger, but in reality, I don't need bigger. Will be perfect for the hubs and I, and the kitty (and hopefully dog, if I can convince him...) Nice to meet you all!!

Comments (8)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Hello and welcome. Let us know when the big move-in day arrives and post lots of pics!

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Welcome Main Girl. Sounds like you have an adventure ahead of you. We all love pictures. When ever you have time.

Chris

• User
    12 years ago

Ohhhh, so glad to see you over here on the "pink" side. When you get ready for showing off your new home, think about posting it on the regular on topic side so more people will look at it.

We have tea here every Tuesday, courtesy of Lavender Lass, who started the occasion. We could have a house warming here, or a real Welcome Wagon. (Do they still have Welcome Wagon when someone new moves into the hood?)

As far as everyone who comes to this forum, "small is beautiful." Welcome........and pleased to meet you too.

• maine.girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hahaha - love it!

just submitted my final blueprints (after MANY hours of hemming and hawing...) so will definitely have photos to show off the progress over the next 6 months.

And then probably have tons of questions thereafter!

• User
    12 years ago

Mainegirl, one word or one request....

Be sure to take manyy many photos. At every stage.
    If you have to get a hardhat to enter the work zone, do so, and don't let them tell you not to get in the way.

I've discovered that my photos of jobs in progress reveal a lot, or answer a lot of post-construction questions. It can show the brand of insulation, the thickness of it, the kind of fasteners, the brand of adhesive, which side was turned in/out, and so on. If there should be a difference of opinion at any point, you can view your pictures and verify that the contractor spoke true, or that his subcontractor did NOT do what the contractor expected.

It is such an adventure to build a home. Good for you!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum, I also have the same sized ranch and I have a lake house in Maine. I love this group, everyone is so nice.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

welcome aboard! we do love pics!

ML is right -take tons of pics of it in process. take pics of the plumbing while the walls are open too!

• maine.girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Smart!! I will definitely take pics.

Learning stuff already!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors