Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Tuesday Tea...better late than never :)

lavender_lass
12 years ago

It was a busy day today...so I'm finally getting a chance to get a cup of tea and warm up! We were just outside picking apples off the tree. Dozens of them. They're smaller, but beautiful, red/green mix with the most wonderful tart/sweet taste...perfect for pie!

Since it got down to 18 degrees last night, we were afraid to wait another day. So after work, my husband and I grabbed some boxes and got all the apples we could reach. Also took a bunch up to my mom. Did I mention she makes amazing apple pie?

So, time for a nice cup of Earl Grey and the cookbook. I'll have to decide what to bake with the apples, first. Maybe apple crisp, with lots of cinnamon :)

I hope you all have a lovely Tuesday and enjoy your tea.

Comments (4)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I wish we had had apples this year, I would love to have some canned apples in the pantry.

Not much going on here, it's hot & humid. I decided to give up sodas starting Sunday and it lasted a whole 2 days until we had a big argument with dd last night. Funny how a little caffeine actually calms me down. Or maybe it was getting out of the house to go get it. ;) Anyway, I'm here with my Pepsi today. The ban starts again tomorrow.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

marti, you sound alot like me. I gave up Coke I don't know how many times but would relapse, now it's been about three weeks since my last - and only a 20oz.! but I hadn't drank any for a month before that. Forget about diet Coke or Zero Coke, it has to be the real thing. It's funny, but it tastes so sweet now. Plus, my weight has gone back down just from not drinking the Coke. The worst time is when I eat pizza, just seems so natural to have a bottle.

Today is rainy and chilly, I'll have tea later this afternoon since I just finished a cup of coffee. Didn't get up this morning until 9:30am(!)which is late for me, so my whole day is off kilter. Probably just have some raisin bread toast with it. Apple Crisp sounds delicious. I need to make some, but it's been a long time. What's your recipe Lass?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse- I went and looked at my recipe...and it's not apple crisp, but similar. You have the oatmeal mixture on the bottom, then the apples, then a little more oatmeal on top. It's so good! Here's the recipe :)

Oven at 350.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine:

1 cup flour
    1 cup oats
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 stick butter or margerine (1/2 cup)

Take out 1/2 cup to save for top of dessert.

In a medium saucepan, combine:

2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    2 tbsp. water
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg
    Dash of cloves

Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 8-10 minutes.

In a square 9" x 9" (or 8" x 8") pan, press the remaining flour/oat crumb mixture into the pan. Spread apple filling on top and sprinkle reserved (1/2 cup) crumbs mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until top is golden brown. Cool and then cut into bars (makes about 25) and this is so good with tea! Also could have ice cream with it, but I like it plain. It's not dry, so you don't have to put cream or ice cream over it.

This is almost the same recipe as BH&G dessert recipe, with just a few changes :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz