Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Thursday tea...let's start again :)

lavender_lass
9 years ago

It's time for tea! We all need a break...so I say we sit down, relax and enjoy a cup of our favorite tea (or other beverage).

How have you been? What's going on? Do you need a hug? Because I certainly do :)

Please stop by today and tell us what is new, wonderful, frustrating, or overwhelming....and if everything is fine, just stop by and visit.

Comments (24)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess I'll start. So glad to see so many familiar friends and new 'faces' on the forum :)

My situation has been a little crazy the last few years. My husband got very sick (out of the blue) and ended up in the hospital and rehab for almost a year. He's still recovering (more than a year later) but he's definitely getting better!

During this time, we had to file medical bankruptcy (even the best insurance doesn't pay everything) and restructured our mortgage...or so we thought. Turns out, the mortgage company changed their mind, pushed for judicial foreclosure, would not allow us to bankrupt and keep our farm (like a bad 30s movie) and here we are...looking for someplace new to live.

The hardest part for me is moving the horses! We have six (I know, six) and they're absolutely sweet and wonderful...but a lot to move 50 miles.

For my husband, the most difficult thing is that he cannot move most of these things himself. He has to ask for help...and most of his friends/family have deserted him, while he was sick. So, he is frustrated and worried...and we still don't have a new location.

Now, for the good news. We do have a possibility that we're looking at (hopefully) this weekend. Very excited! If it works out, we can take our time moving (we have to be out by early April) and we will even have time to work on the house. It's been a rental for MANY years and I'm sure it needs some TLC.

Also, my brother has been wonderful! If it weren't for him, I would never have gotten through the last few years. Some things are just too difficult (or heavy) for me to do by myself. He's helped so much and his son (obviously my nephew LOL) is 19 and has lots of friends...who can move things!

So, we're waiting to see what happens next and trying to stay positive. This is scary, but also a new adventure and will hopefully work out to be a successful one. Only time will tell, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to being moved, inviting my true friends and family over...and celebrating :)

Now, what's new with you? Good, bad, exciting, whatever...have some tea, sit down and join the conversation! {{gwi:2066817}}From Courtyard Garden album

{{gwi:2066811}}

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 14:25

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Hugs to you LL. I am going to take my cup of tea to my studio and lay down some glass. Working on a large hallway project of wild old hippy flower mosaic flower garden. I just have a few pieces installed. It is such a large project I can only do two sections at a time and there are 11 to do. I am working on section 4 and 5 now on my bench. Picture is not much but it is a start. Pond plants will go in the strip of blue. There will be an arbor above. Why the one tall bit on the end. It is arbor post. OH and the tape is gone now. It was just there for safety while the adhesive dried.

Things are good here for now. Trying to sty positive hubby will be NED for a long time to come . Never know when the other shoe will drop. We live three months at a time between scans and blood tests.

My own health has finally improved and my skin has cleared,for now. Back on my thyroid meds and feeling so much less pain ans more energy.

I do hope you find the perfect home. Sorry about the relatives. Joe's sister is about the same. She does live far away and has had her own health issues but never emails or calls. She is living her own life. Oh well. We are getting pretty immune to this behavior from family and the fair weather friends.

Off to sniff some glue.

Chris

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Shades...that's beautiful! I am so excited to see the finished piece :)

Thank you for the hug! I'm glad you're doing so much better and your DH is on the mend. Hope all goes well with the three month checkups.

And remember...don't sniff too much glue! LOL

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

HA LL do not hold your breath for finished This is taking a long time. I work on it when I can. Not always as much as I would like. Enjoying some glass time today but I am going to have to get out in the yard for some fall clean up soon. It is not very warm today. Was hoping it would be nicer. So I will work until I get cold. Call it good. no more stressing on things that need to be done. Have a good one I am off to the yard.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know...it's been cold and cloudy the last few days. While I like and need the rain, it would be nice to see a little sun! Of course, that would mean it would get colder at night, too.

Since a lot of people haven't been by to visit, yet....I think we should keep this tea going through Monday. Please stop by and have a lovely weekend :)

Oh, and Happy Halloween!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Happy Halloween to you too. We turn off our lights. LOL

I did get a bit of time on my glass and in our yard. Still cleaning up the frosted morning glory vines. Dreading dragging the tomato vines out. YUCK.

Will check back in tomorrow if hubby does not have other plans.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

hugs to both of you!

shades - that is beautiful glasswork on the wall!!! it must take a ton of time - and hand work.

it's nice in AZ now - under 100 - lol! down into 80's I think.

I survived fasting and made it to the doctor's. they had a 'vampire' onsite to take my blood. about 4 tubes of it! I'm probably anemic now... won't know anything until mid-late next wk. oh, he did say the mole/spot on my arm isn't anything to worry about. My prev doctor always said that too but it seemed to be bigger now and I got a 2nd opinion.

I made up 10 meatloaf 'patties' last night. will freeze 6 of them for the next few wks. had one on rye bread with swiss cheese when I got home from the docs - delicious!

I keep the outside lights off. so few kids out here. I'd worry they'd get hurt in the driveway (a few gullies from recent rain), the dog would get out etc. When I moved out here there was only 1 little boy for many acres around me. The 1st Halloween I bought a candy bar for him (didn't know if he'd come over). He didn't, so next day I took it over to him. Guess what? He said he didn't like candy!!! So, I brought it back home and ate it myself! Never heard of a kid that didn't like candy before. That little guy is now something like 22 and very, very tall! Anyway, after that I never bothered to buy candy (except candy corn for me) or turn on the lights - I'm not changing it now even tho there are more kids around here now.

I hope all is ok with ML.

• User
    9 years ago

Well yes, all is okay if you don't mind the cement mixer tracks in the courtyard garden....and plywood preventing my exit out the kitchen door because there is no longer anything beyond the door. All is peaceful on this Saturday morning after they poured the foundation cement/concrete yesterday and left it to dry over the weekend. We did not have any TrickTreaters last night, so I must eat the Reese PB Cups myself I suppose. How tough can life get.

I also found a nice feature at the Cornell Ornithology Lab site for Feederproject about using your pumpkins wisely, making bird feeders out of them. I include that link here for anyone interested in such. I have no pumpkins, but will try to get one. I use canned pumpkin to make muffins, and both DH and my parrot love them.

My eyes are still bleary, but improving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin bird feeder

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

" plywood preventing my exit out the kitchen door because there is no longer anything beyond the door"

safety feature!!! or you'd automatically go out that space and go BOOM!

so good you have a few peaceful days before they come back and start up again. It'll be hard to get thru the commotion but the END will be so worth it for the 2 of you!

oh yes... I should have bought candy (I like) for my non T or Ters!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

So sorry about those ruts ML. They are hard to fill too. The cemeteries were always getting rutted from winter burials. I think with all you have going on you are going to have to just do the yard repairs after they are done stomping around.

Good to hear your eyes are clearing. We have spiders that make webs in trees. Maybe a worm. Not sure. I will certainly be more cautious around them.

Well we had company arrive to stay for a few days. It has been great for Joe to visit with his brother from another mother kind of friend. It is relaxed kind of company. More lie family.Meals are simple. Ham going in the oven shortly. It is already one of those cooked ones. In fact this is a ham from a hog our company shot and brought to us.

I have had a lot of time to work on my glass project today. Joe and friend went to visit another mutual friend for the morning they they were watching a movie so no need for my entertainment.

The next two panels in progress. I have more fill done on the right panel. There is tape on the glass of the left panel. I can lift and glue many pieces at a tine this way. I will wait to glue for a day I can open the window. It is cold and raining here today.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

that's beautiful!

• User
    9 years ago

Ahhhh, Shades, I think you need to have a small FROG down there somewhere.

Remember the old video game FROGGER? I think he was trying to cross the road not the stream.

And I'd really get a big laugh out of it if you put a frog swimming across the stream with a scorpion on its back, giving it a lift to the other side.

My DH tells a fable about that situation. A frog declines to take the scorpion because he is such a deadly critter. But the scorpion convinces him that he will not sting him to death. Well, the frog being a kindly soul, takes him on his back. Yet, just before he touches the other bank, ZINGZING, the scorpion socks it to him. The poor frog turns and before he dies, says, "...but you promised." The scorpion says, "I know, but IT IS MY NATURE."

With that story, every time one of us does something contrary to what is expected, we say, "It is my nature." And the story is really worthy of Aesop's Fables I think.

Just a little off topic, hope you don't mind. A critter gotta do what a critter gotta do, so always remember what the nature of that critter is. To thine own self be true.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

hey, a frog would be great! I have a huge cement frog outside. He isn't by water anymore but from about 1984 to about '93 his home was on the pool deck!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

LOL ML I will see if I can do some I did order a few turtles from a bead company. I did not see any frogs.

i had a horrible wreck yesterday. I leaned down to vacuum the coils on the bottom of the fridge and my hair laid on the floor I did not even think of this but the upright vacuum beater grabbed my hair on half my head and rolled it up in the beater bar. Yanked me the rest of the way to the floor Yanked a bunch out and burned up a bunch. I was stuck to the bottom of the vacuum and could not reach the switch to turn it off Joe was gone on his walk to the post office. I finally grabbed and pulled my hair back enough to reach the switch. Then push the vacuum and me to the rug in the dinning room. I was heading to the tool box in living room for screwdriver to get the vacuum apart. Joe finally got home . Got the book to figure how to get it all apart and me out of it. Well my hair was so caught up in it. I had to pull it small bits at a time back out. It does not look bad because the pulled out part is underneath but it is not going to take nearly as long for my hair to dry for awhile. I have NEVER even considered this could happen. I did not realize how long my hair was. YIKES I still have a sore scalp.

Company has gone home. I did finish cleaning the house yesterday. Today I slept on and off. I am just worn out.

Drinking Safari Spice tea from a Dear friend. :) Yum

• User
    9 years ago

Hope this shows up. I noticed that The New Yorker is selling some of their "political cartoons" and when I saw this particular one, it seemed so appropriate. If you wish to buy it, you can get it in a 12x12" size to frame.

It's called THE HERBAL TEA PARTY...
    Stay Calm...stay cool....lessen tension....sleep better....
    So good.

Here is a link that might be useful: CondeNasteStore cartoons

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

OH Ha that is cute.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

A bit late to the tea party but IF I were drinking tea right now it would be Earl Grey.

I got caught in a snowball similar to remodel creep. And yes I have real snow here but that's a different story.

I had found a vintage/antique parlor sofa set a couple of months ago. I'd been looking for one for a couple of years but the ones I found were $250 and needed to be recovered. The set- sofa, rocker and straight chair- I found was $79.99. Long story but I nearly broke a leg getting to the cash register with the tag! After I saw it in daylight I took it directly to ServePro to be cleaned. $107 later it was not clean enough for me to sit on so I threw a sheet over it until I could check on upholstery. Ha! Upholstery would be over $1500 for labor. So back to Chris' idea of paint. But since my furnace is on now I decided to take the winter to decide what color.

The colors in the living room are all white/cream/tan/beige and everything blends into everything else. GW decorating forum said I needed a colored rug. So I started shopping for a rug I liked, in a color that would work at a price I could afford. My existing carpet is on the replace list so I switched to looking at carpet. Found the perfect one; on line not in any store near me; $36 a yard. Plus installation. Hmmm. Need to rethink this. Room is 15x15.

So when I was in Habitat I asked about carpet. One of the guys working there said he had a couple in his shop. I could have them. I should call him that night and he'd let me know the size. They were smaller than I wanted but for free........I said I'd be back up that way in 2 weeks and would pick them up.

In the meantime I was cruising eBay to see what I could see. Another long story ending with me bidding more on eBay than I should have but as luck would have it, someone got in at the last 5 seconds and out bid me. Just as well, I had bid more than I really wanted to spend but the rug made my heart sing. By this time I was considering other styles of rugs and found one with a black background, cheap, so I bought it now.

Fast forward to today, I went to Habitat to get the 2 free rugs that I thought I was going to pick up from this guy's shop but one was sold already and the other was $25. OK. bought it. May not ever get it clean.

The rest of the story is.........I was driving down the road one day (the day I bought the parlor set) and saw this skinny horse in a dry lot. Three days later I was driving that same road and the skinny horse was still there. On my way home my truck turned into the driveway. There was a guy working by a tractor. I visited with him for a few minutes about the skinny horse, left my contact information, went home and called my vet for advice. Next morning the people called and asked if I wanted the horse. So of course I said yes and since I didn’t have a trailer could they deliver. He was eating grass in my pasture 2 hours later. So far my free horse has cost $135 for blood draw and results, $105 for the Panacur Powerpac, teeth to be done at the vet’s office (his dad will haul the horse for me) but not until after winter. I don’t want him sedated, nervous, hot and sweaty and be outside in winter weather. That will be $110. He’s eating a 50# bag of feed and 2 bales of hay a week. And the good news is, he’s gained some weight!! Oh, and I forgot to mention, he’s 30 years old. Not TOO old for me and maybe I will ride again someday if he recovers! So the carpet/rug is back on hold.

The other good news, I sprayed the sofa with Awsum from the dollar store, Sucked it with the shop vac as I sprayed it with cool water from a spray bottle. Working a small area at a time, it’s getting clean. I’m waiting for the area I did today to dry to see where to go next.

• User
    9 years ago

Luvmykitchen, that is the most humorous thing I've read on the forum for a while now! Yikes, sounds like "project creep" for sure. And then here comes the horse....

Please keep us current on how your projects continue to creep. :)

9 years ago

The "free" for $25 carpet. It's better than I expected.

9 years ago

The "free" horse. His "before" pictures are on my other computer that's in the shop.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

HA Love_mykitchen, Funny story and so happy you rescued the horse. He really is a kind looking fellow. I am sure he appreciates you. We had an old timer. Had to have his teeth done every year. They just did him standing with floats and no sedative. Maybe they do not do it that way any more.

That is a very pretty carpet rug.

My friend kept telling me about Awesome laundry soap . It really dies work well. I had been using the carpet cleaner and just regular cleaner for years. Never thought to try the laundry version. DOH on me. Just remember if all else fails there is always paint.

I love the white on white look. We have a lot of that going on here but most of it is covers thrown on the furniture because of the animals. Then it is a mad dash to pull everything off when some one comes. The weird thing is I keep getting green furniture to throw all this white stuff on top of. I am not sure where my brain is miss-firing there. LOL

My update is We got the snow plow back on the Ranger and Joe was able to plow the driveway yesterday. We only got about 5 inches of snow but the weather man told us it was going to turn really cold so best to move the snow out of the driveway or it turns to ice. He was right it was zero this morning at our house and our neighbor a tiny bit lower in elevation had 5 below zero. Good thing we have a well insulated house. Joe did turn on the propane heater for the front of the house. We were just running on the little heater we put in the bedroom for the whole house. Furnace is turned off.

SO my morning chores are done. I am going to go work on my glass panels. I am almost done with both of them now and all I will have to do is grout and install them. Have a good one Friends.

• User
    9 years ago

Those are pleasant friendly eyes in the horse, Luv. I'm so glad you gave him a good home. A great holiday story. One of God's creatures.

• User
    9 years ago

Oops. Forgot this was same thread where Shades gets sucked up in the vacuum. What a bizarre accident, Shades! I've heard of guys getting their tie caught in a self feeding copy machine, supposedly happened to this goofball office assistant when I worked at International Paper. But with large companies, the stories are mostly legendary anyway. Your cautionary tale is a real life event. I'll have to tell my DH that one. Of course, he has no hair on top to lose.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Poor baby! The owner is lucky you took him in, rather than calling the sheriff. Skinny is a bit understated. My horses are never thin! Of course, I have a daybed for a living room sofa and my carpet is older than almost anything I own...but my horses eat very well! :)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz