Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

First tea of October

lavender_lass
12 years ago

It's Tuesday and perfect weather for a hot cup of Earl Grey. It's raining and cool...and supposed to be like this for the next four days. By this weekend, weeding should be much eaiser.

So much to do in the garden, before the end of the month. The apples are almost ripe, just turning from pink to red. We have an apple tree that's got to be at least 60 years old. The apples are a little small, but crisp and delicious...and make wonderful pies!

I should be working on my 'small home' but gardening is much more fun...and I only have a few weeks left, to enjoy it. Then, 'fall cleaning' to do, before the holidays. Why does time seem to speed up over the next few months...then drag along after January? It seems to take forever to get through February and March! (LOL)

Hope you all have a lovely Tuesday and enjoy your tea :)

Comments (9)

• User
    12 years ago

No Earl Grey here, Lav. I'm into the Rooibus or red bush tea. It is caffeine free, and very flavorful. It also smells so good.

October can be a cruel month, promising so many lovely things and bringing lots of grief. It never fails to fill me with angst. My son died this month 16 years ago, I guess that is why. Losing him made me really understand how significant it was that "God so loved the world, He GAVE his only son."

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Sorry I'm late. I couldn't log in yesterday. But I'm with you today, Pepsi in hand. I can't wait for cool weather so I can break out my peach tea.

ML, I'm so sorry this month brings back such sad memories. I love this time of year so much, I'd hate to have anything mar it.

LL, I need to be out working in the garden too. I let it get away from me this long, hot summer. But today I am grocery shopping and then tearing out baseboard.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ML- Sorry that October is such a sad month, for you.

Marti- You sound like you'll be busy this week! Peach tea sounds good, especially with something like raspberry bars. Yum :)

I actually got my bench built yesterday...finally! I'll have to take some pictures after work, since it was too dark last night, when we got it finished. Instead of putting the bench in the fairy garden, I decided to expand the kitchen garden and put the bench on the far end. It really looks good there...and my mom is giving me two more arches that she isn't going to use, to balance the other side of the garden. It should be really nice next year, but more work! LOL

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I was in West Virginia yesterday, made a whirlwind trip with a friend and two of her relatives to visit a third near Parsons. We left at 6:30a and got back home last night at 8:30pm. How's that for a fast trip? It was a miserable drizzly day the whole while, except as soon as we got into Ohio the sun was out. I should have stayed home and mowed.

Started to mow around noon, took a break an hour later and made a pot of Yorkshire Gold. Drank that while I ate some dessert sent home with me from West Va. Then put a tea cosy on the pot and went back out to finish. The grass was so high, I mowed the front twice - once with the blade on high and then second time on it's normal setting. Came back in, and the tea was still hot enough in the pot for another cup! I was surprised, the cosy did its job.

Sorry moccasin, that made me feel sad too.

Lass - so glad to hear the bench is finished. Will be waiting on the photos. Must be nice to have arches "throw your way". :)

Marti - tearing out baseboard? Sounds like a remodeling project or new flooring.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

That's what we call the killer run schoolhouse. From our house to my mother's house is almost 7 hours. When the in-laws still lived there too and one of them had to go to the hospital or other emergency, we would make that trip in a day.

Driving in the drizzle makes it seem longer too.

That's a lot of mowing. I mowed the edges yesterday which took all of 10 minutes I think. lol

Yes, we are taking out a wall in the garage and moving it about 5 feet. Lot of work for just 5 feet, but it will be sooo worth it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Now I remember the garage project, marti8. I just read your last post on the discussions side. It's going to be great.

• User
    12 years ago

Well, here I am and it is noon-thirty eastern time. I will set out the pumpkin cake as a starter for the tea. But I know teatime can also be 4 pm so I'll just hang around, waiting for the west coast to have lunch.

I've almost finished my Red Bush (Rooibus) tea from Celestial Seasonings. It is in teabag form, and I want real tea as in loose tealeaves. So I'll order more after this is gone. Waste not want not, you know.

I am also waiting until next spring to plant a camellia sinensis, a real Chinese camellia which is the tea plant. I cannot wait to have one in my garden.

You know of course that camellias are very hardy plants? So they will thrive as far north as zone 5B I'm thinking. And, they can also grow in pots in your not-so-hot greenhouses.
    That is something I think would be a good housewarming present for LavenderLass. A pot of TeaPlant. :)

• User
    12 years ago

I just glanced over my HOUSE home page of RSS feeds in My Yahoo. And the SHABBY STREAMSIDE STUDIO....the one with all the gingerbread on the tiny white building in the woods,
    it has a most endearing poem there. I quote for your consideration, this last few lines:

Love now
    We will not last
    It's fall

Asters by Amy LV

I think this is true of flowers as well as people.
    Love now. Life goes on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Streamside Studio

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I missed tea! It was our anniversary, yesterday :)

Today, I'm having Earl Grey and it's another cold, windy day. So much still to do outside, but I'm waiting until tomorrow. It's supposed to be warmer and sunny!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz