Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

Can not wait for winter!!!

Shades_of_idaho
13 years ago

I really am getting excited for winter. Too excited. I am stressed from work. I need a release from this.

A thrift store owner friend mentioned she had this broken mirror behind her shop I was welcome to have. Saved her from having to haul it all to the dump.Course only I would get excited about a broken mirror and dash down bucket in hand to pick up the pieces.

So here is a series of pictures of my vision for a project for this winter I am going to start on sooner as I REALLY need calming. My job is making me half crazy.

So start at picture number. 79 and go to number 82. I am not sure if you can see the vision I am seeing. LOL And REALLY I have not been drinking but it might be a good idea. Hehehehe

Oh and Yes I know this is not the mosaics board. I figure this might make our small house look bigger with all the mirror in that room.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Vision for winter project.

Comments (19)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

After all the work you have done this summer, winter may be just what you need. I'm ready too, this has been an odd season.

You are right, am trying to visualize here. Mainly the "little" medicine cabinet. It really is a cabinet? How neat and know your reclaiming will be astaounding as always.

• User
    13 years ago

I hear you about winter coming, and you needing some relief. A little variety never hurts.

I like your vision, as much as I understand of it. The old mirror will look good being obviously an old and broken relic, but it will be very stylish with the border that you are planning. I get a feeling of pink gold looking at it. So even a fleshy pink and gold aura will be appropriate for something which has an acid etched feel. I think it was on a HGTV program that they etched a mirror on purpose to give it an aged look. You can even BUY mirror tiles which have it already done.

Speaking of mirror tiles, I visited a good friend who let me rent a house from her for a year after I sold MoccasinLanding. I wanted to see what was happening to it after I left, and her DH once again stored his tool boxes and junk in it. The bevelled mirror tiles I'd mounted on the inside of a flat entry door still looked good without any glue showing through, the paint jobs were still the same colors and had not been painted out. It was the first house I'd painted with Warm Terra Cotta by Behr, and fell in love with that paint. The tiny kitchen still had the faux wall tiles that we'd collaborated on painting and stenciling with palm trees and they'd left up my homemade storage rack that framed the stove and went up to the ceiling where it became a wire closet shelf turned into a pot rack for a few nice pans. They still come over to use the bathroom, because his parents are staying with them in their house next door, and one bath for four adults just does not suffice. I think the old house is a Sears kit house, and I dearly loved living there, but they would not sell it to us. We were perfect tenants for this house, and I loved being just next door to a really dear friend who likes the same things I do but has totally different approach to everything.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know it is really hard to tell what is in my mind. I mostly wanted a journal of this project. and always forget to get the very beginning of filthy in the ruff shots.

When I get a little further along it will start to make more sense. I am going on the top curves and divisions between to try to create a deco look.

Been a really busy day trying to catch up here but really hoping to get even a little time to work on this. I really need something to look forward to and have my brain working on other than city crapola right now.

Chris

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Chris ~ This is going to be another wonderful creation of yours and I can hardly wait to see it. You do such lovely work with your mosaics.

You do need a break after dealing with all that city stuff all year.

I too am looking forward to winter as it is the best time of year for us down here in the sub-tropics.

Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adding to the vision. A little more done on this project. Also started another on. I seem to not be able to do just one thing at a time.

I will be doing the sides of the cabinet too.

the round mirror will be for the back splash behind my stove.I am so tired of what has been there for the last oh ?? 20 years or so. Time for a change.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: # 83 through 86

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

That is going to be gorgeous! And I thought you were going to say you felt sorry for all of us suffering through the heat. lol Our temps finally dropped and it is soooo nice outside. Hasn't gotten over 90 all week.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Chris, the Art Deco look is already apparent in your triptych! I thought Art Deco as soon as I saw the med cab mirror with your two quarter circles. Your work is so lovely.

I know what you mean about can't wait to get back to creating things. DH and I have been talking about this lately. I was grousing about how I hate going to work (love the job, but it gets in the way of living my life!). I want to MAKE things instead. The kitchen cupboard staining has been fulfilling in that way at times. But I have these projects I started - putting tiles on wood boxes to use them as plant stands; an invention I would love to work on for an adjustable-height foot stool; my jewelry making. DH is a musician by vocation and would rather be writing music, making musical arrangements of other people's songs, practicing for two hours every day so he can be an "outstanding" trombonist instead of a merely "adequate" one. Instead, goes to work designing computer programs and works long hours so that he is too tired for music.

Have you ever tried to make a living with your mosaic work? Have you sold any? Have you calculated what output you would need to achieve in order to make a living? Or would having too do a set output ruin the work for you? I think it would for me. I hated it when someone would ask me to make something specific for them. I don't mind them telling the colors or the style, but if they start saying they just want one bead or two beads on a string, I hate doing it. If I cannot use MY creativity, it becomes "work" again. So that is my diatribe about not having time to be creative.

You mirrors are going to be GREAT, and I am glad that you are sharing them with us.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Marti and Nancy,

I am enjoying working on this and also started on small back splash for the back of the stove. I do not seem to be able to work on one project at a time.

Nancy I have sold a few things. I really do not have an interest in trying to sell any more. I used to make a living selling my creations of macramae and weaving crochet, bead work, quilting, Some of the mosaics.Did it for years craft fairs christmas. Always push push to produce come up with new ideas ahead of every one else. Then every one else copies. But I was usually pretty lucky and would get in first and scoop the market and move on while every one else was still copying.

I just give out on it. So sick of working for 6 cents an hour. Now I just put my heart and sole into things for me. Kind of selfish maybe.

My boss was over the other day and said I should sell my things and could get thousands. I do not think so and afraid if I really tried to sell something it would be so disappointing it would ruin the fun of creating. So I just play.

LOL Some day when I am gone some one will come into this house and go OMG how ever am I to fix all this crap this crazy woman left behind. Laughing right now at the thought of it.

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

Chris, Grandma Moses did not start painting until she was in her 60s I think. Then she really made a name for herself. She is my heroine although I am much older than she was when she began. You can always be the eccentric genius artist of your small town. You will be happier just doing your own thing and not competing for recognition.

The ladies of Gees Bend Alabama did not seek the limelight with their quilts, but it found them and now there is even a US stamp with their artwork on it. Do what you like, and enjoy doing it.

As for winter, I am looking forward to it myself. Maybe staying up north until Christmas? Lots to do on this house, plus painting pictures with my youngest granddaughter in our basement art studio.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

It's funny, because here in FL, we look forward to winter as our season to do outdoor things. The summers are so hot and humid, we hunker down in the A/C, and work on indoor projects (like crafts) until the 'nice' weather starts. This past week got down to about 60, and low humidity. I love it!

I'm looking forward to seeing your creations, Chris. We have such a talented group of folks here!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

"LOL Some day when I am gone some one will come into this house and go OMG how ever am I to fix all this crap this crazy woman left behind."

Or, maybe you'll be famous by then, and your home will be preserved as Frida Kahlo's was!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Frida' and 'Diego' spelled out in tiny clay pots

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I think it'll be beautiful! I love pic #82.

was the pic with the curve mirror and colored glass along the curve what you've done so far?

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML Grandmama Moses I am not but I sure am having a good time.
    Even though our company arrived this afternoon I still got time to go into my studio and got some serious play time in. I really needed it after this last week of work I have put in.

Jay it is odd how we look for opposite times of the year to play. I also hide from the heat and spend evenings in the yard. We had our first freeze last night. WWWWAAAAHHH Happy for winter to come but it always freezes then warms up again. Then we have a month of nice weather looking at icky dead plants.

OH Mama_goose I really enjoyed touring through her pictures.

Steph the colored parts on the edges are the glass I have clued down. I have done some more on this mirror and some on the other mirror. I keep going back and fourth between them.While bits are drying on one I am working on the other. Interesting since both have a totally different look but many of the colors are the same. Will see about updated pictures tomorrow.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have added more to the triptych but no new pictures as most of what I am adding is fill in now and it does not show up as anything new unless in person. I am close to starting on the cabinet. This is going along fairly well.

The stove back splash has come a long way since first picture. This one really wants to play with me. I had to lean it against the wall to get the real colors to show up. the camera flash kills the iridescence.So glad I was able to get another sheet of the tiles I used around the counter.

Back to work there is a peach pie waiting to be baked. Well even started and need to get it in the oven before I can do lunch for the boys.

chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Back splash

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tonight I grouted this. Happy with the way it turned out. There is just a bit more grout to pick out. Always shows up in a photo. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stove back splash

• User
    13 years ago

Shades, I just saw your stove backsplash. Wow, that is really GORGEOUS. I love the luminous nature of it.

I'm not an artist with mosaics, but that makes me want to have something pearly and iridescent for my kitchen sink backsplash. Like mother of pearl sea shells. Hard to find good 1/2 inch mosaic tiles locally, and too costly to make mistakes ordering the wrong thing online. But I have about a year to go before the kitchen takes center stage. Time enough to collect the things I want when they are found on sale.

Shades, have you ever done a mirrored chest? Covered the whole thing with mirrors? Maybe an end table would be easy to start with, no drawers to get cut opening.

I could see a broken mirrored wall hanging, called BROKEN DREAMS. Colored grout around the pieces like glowing neon edges.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML I did a few mirror pieces. This is the top to an entertainment center I cut down. Do not seem to have pictures of the rest of it. All mirror and blue glass gems.

The next couple of pictures are of the top to another small dresser and not sure where the side pictures of it are.

This winter I hope to mirror the cabinet base in the bathrooms. I did the mosaic and tile tops on. Then I want to do a gel stain on the doors. I want them to still look like wood only a bright color. They will need to be sanded to get the color into the wood. I have an extra one I can try it on in the shop.

AND the new shelf I just bought is going to get the mirror treatment. But as you might notice I just spewed out three BIG projects and did not even mention the back splash for the master bathroom I want to do. LOL My brain is going about 90 now the snow is flying.

Thank you for the compliment on the stove back splash. I hung it this morning and am pleased. A great use of recycled glass and old mirror and only the silicone glass gems and the few square tiles were new. It does sparkle even in the dim light of evening.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror furniture

• User
    13 years ago

Shades, has winter arrived for you? HEHEHEHEHEHE
    It is here, but not as deep and cold so far. But the wind broke off our satsuma tree, sad to say. DH was looking forward
    to eating the 4 fruits on the tree. He'll have to make do with the couple of gallons of kumquats on the two bushes I planted two years ago. Maybe next year.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I finally finished this project and have it hung up on the wall. Actually it has been sitting for a couple of weeks waiting for me to get the courage to put it up. Was not as hard as expected. Had to spread the mirrors further apart then I really wanted to . The studs were not cooperating. It is fine and I can't wait to see how it looks in the morning with sun streaming into the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirrors Done