Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

My Mission, Should I Accept It.....

User
13 years ago

Today the two dogs went to the vet. And now I have some homework to do first thing in the morning.

I'm supposed to get the first pee my little dachshund girl does in the morning. And take it to the vet for analysis.

It is supposed to be the first of the day.

Now I ask you, with a little dachshund female, who clears the ground by about two inches standing on her tiptoes, what do YOU think the chances of getting a specimen wee-wee from her outdoors? And this is even with the grass freshly cut?

Checking my supply of vessels, I find only a single plastic lid which could fit beneath her, if I am quick enough to get down there with MY bad knees, before she is done. Besides, she doesn't really stop dead still, but is sort of walking and "doing it" because her nose is too excited at discovering other critters may have been in her lawn.

My DH is laughing his head off, and even relayed this latest Dixie story to his elderly sister, the Nun. So when he calls her tomorrow night, she will want to know the outcome of my latest mission....should I accept it.

Wish me luck in the morning, dudes.

Comments (9)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Well try to consider something easier than squat and drop.

Take a long handled?? Paint extension pole or duster pole. Then cut chunk of wire coat hanger long enough to loop around mayonnaise jar lid or some jar lid and then bend up to tape securely to this pole. Even a dowel will work. Anything to extend your reach with out you having to bend too far.

Tape jar lid to loop. Then take little girl out on leash this evening to practice this maneuver once or twice. Keep that pole down close to your side. Act like nothing is going on. When she squats to pee slip under her with out bending over as your bend over motion could make her stop. There you go you have piddle in a cup. Hehehehe Good luck. We used to do this all the time at the vets. I even think they had a catcher you could buy.

Remember jar lid needs to be squeaky clean rinsed really well.

ML you can do this.

Chris

• emagineer
    13 years ago

This may be silly. Yes, it is silly. But with animals we are always on the hook for something. Tape a shallow plastic storage container where it needs to be with duct tape all around her body? Then worry about spilling it when you take it off?

I'm of no help here.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Could not WAIT to get to this topic, for I've laughed out loud big TWICE already, and there is a happy smile on my face STILL.

hehehehehehe........heheheheheeh......BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Oh sigh, I haven't had my coffee yet either. I've been so preoccupied this morning with dog weeeeeeee, that the morning is almost gone.

I laid in bed a long time pretending to be asleep, so SHE would stay with me and not get up to shake the dew off the rose somewhere in the house on a defenseless rug....And then I stuck to the routine of their food and then immediately the leash for HER and the boy unfettered, and out the door to the mail box post. Yeah, the neighborhood dogs leave messages for one another at the mail box posts and the telephone poles. We happen to have a mail box post.

So when she started sniffing I knew it was approaching. I grabbed the plastic LID and immediately flew into action, pressing it down into the freshly cut dense lawn, trying to avoid any low slung body parts. With a dachshund, they are ALL low slung....sigh....

I managed to get about ONE TABLESPOON of liquid. What a good girl Dixie is!

I never knew they collected urine samples from dogs, just stool samples. Shades, you are a very experienced and worldly wise woman. I can tell from your ideas of proper tools for the job, that you've given this topic some thought before now. I hope this is the only time I have to do it. But if Dixie is really sick I may have to build something more durable. Let's hope she does not have something wrong that involves her organs.

But I took the tablespoon or so of sample across town to the vet, and told them to keep the container. Maybe I should shop for more dachshund sized sample cups?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

So glad it worked for you. You really do not need a lot. Really hope she is ok.

Chris

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

This is so funny. I really love Chris's idea to help with the situation.

What we will do for the love of our critter family members.

FlowerLady

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

oh man, I missed out on the fun til now!

how'd the test go? I hope it's nothing serious.

this is so funny. I've never had to take in a first of the day sample. they always take it at the vet's office.

shades comes up with the niftiest things. for taking it in... if it were me, I'd be keeping the little bitty plastic containers the local diner puts the salsa for my Mexican dinner in. they always include 2 - I never use it. I could save those for you the next time...

for catching it you need something bigger tho, how about cutting the bottom off of a plastic soda bottle and sticking a skewer thing threw it? a kabob stick? a hot dog/marshmellow roasting fork?

you might be able to glue a velco strip to the plastic bottom of the soda bottle and wrap that around her so the plastic part is where it needs to be?

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

how did the test come out? is she gonna be ok? or did you post it and I missed it?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The test results are in, and Dixie appears to be normal.
    But I was discussing with the vet about the construction dust from the stucco job. It is quite possible that the Portland cement used in this, sprayed on over the cement board, is the culprit causing her hair loss in all her lower body parts.

Now I am giving her something for the itching caused by the dry skin, and also an antibiotic for the rash that is all along her low slung deep chest or keel bone. Bless her little heart, she is built right down on the ground, even when the grass is fresh cut, she is belly deep in whatever happens to be on the grass.

Has anyone ever used something called PILL POCKETS? It is a blessing because the dogs LOVE to gobble it down, with their pills stuck right in the middle. When one has a med to take, I give a tiny pinch of Pill Pocket to the other one. That way, it seems like a treat. I buy them at the vet's office. For small dogs, one Pill Pocket can work split in half, then half again, so one pill does for two dogs morning and night. Gobble gobble.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Glad it is not more serious ML. Hope she is feeling better soon. Never used the pill pockets. Our dogs take anything easily.