Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Orgaization challenge tea!

lavender_lass
10 years ago

Hi! How did everyone do? Is there a little less clutter today, then there was earlier this month? Congratulations and have a cup of tea (or other beverage) and celebrate your success!

If, like many of us, you didn't get everything done that you had hoped...what do you think about making this Part 1? Part 2 can be for October...so we all have a chance to get ready for the holidays :)

October 31 (Halloween) will be on a Thursday, so for me that's the first big holiday! What if we meet back here on November 4th (Monday) and see how much more we can accomplish in 5 weeks. Let me know what you think!

For now, let's visit and talk about what we've done...so far. I've been sorting lots of paperwork, moving the offices around (we have a home based business) and sorting through lots of medical bills. So much paper! I'm looking forward to finishing this in the next week...and doing something MUCH more fun...painting the kitchen! First I need to scrub everything down, paint and then put in my new vinyl tile floor.

So, what did you do? How do you feel? Is there any other area you'd like to work on, before the holidays?

I'm going to get a nice cup of Earl Grey and I'll be right back :)

Comments (17)

• camlan
    10 years ago

Well. I got more done on my bedroom than I would have done without the challenge, but less than I wanted to. It was ever thus.

But I enjoyed the Challenge and would love to do a Part 2. I could finish off the bedroom and start on the living room. Since the living room is in much better shape to begin with than the bedroom was, I think the two rooms are doable in a month's time.

And that way, the living room would be nice and tidy and ready for the holidays. Or for my brother stopping by to watch football on the weekends. (He's recently divorced and doesn't have a tv of his own right now.) Not that he's one to notice a nicely decorated room.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Camlan- Hi! Congrats on getting so much done! I'm sure you could finish the bedroom and the living room in the next five weeks.

My brother is recently divorced and has also been out to watch football! He has a TV, but he likes watching it with my husband...and it's great for him to have visitors. My brother would notice, but only because he helps me move any big furniture! LOL

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I was hoping to have something completed by today, but it just isn't happening. However, I'm working on it and that's something. Today I painted shelves for the closet and hope to have them up by tonight and then hang up clothes tomorrow. My clothes have been piled on a bed for a month with no way to get what I really want to wear. So tired of wearing the same 4 things over and over all the time.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti- It sounds like you're making great progress! Stick with it and see what we can finish in the next five weeks. Congrats on getting the closet finished :)

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

Sorry I missed the tea! We're still in the middle of packing. The good news is that we've gone through almost everything we own in the last few weeks. We sold a ton of stuff at a yard sale, donated more, and hauled more stuff out to the trash. Phew!

We pick up the rental truck Wednesday, load it Thursday, and hit the road very early Friday. By Saturday night, the move will be behind us.

During all of this, I've been doing 20 years worth of repairs and touch-ups on the old house to get it ready to sell. In this market, everything has to be perfect!

To all you organizers- Keep up the good work! We can do this!

Jay (flgargoyle)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Jay, if you are still popping in regularly, I'd like to pick your brain about your building project. Did you use ICF on all your exterior walls?

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

Yes- the basement walls and main floor walls are ICF. The gable ends above the main walls are conventional framing, as is the attached garage. I hope it pays off!

Now that the doors and windows are installed, the temperature in the basement is very stable. On the main floor, the ceiling is still open, so we're not getting the benefit of the ICF. Once the ceiling is installed and insulated, it should be quite comfy. I realized that I have never lived in an insulted house- not even in CT!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay- Wow! You've been busy! Congrats on getting so much done. You and your wife must be thrilled to finally be able to get to the new house.

The tea can keep going as long as people want to stop by...up until the next tea (November 4) if you like.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, I didn't know the Teas were still going on! But then I haven't visited this side for a long time. I best get reading posts.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse- This is the first tea I've started in a long time! Should we try Thursday tea (again) on the Cottage forum?

Would anyone like to meet for tea on a regular basis, here? Or just for the Organization Challenge? Let me know :)

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 12:42

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I finished painting the closet yesterday, put the shelves and rods in and moved most of our clothes back in last night. Whoo hoo!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Way to go, Marti! Congrats on getting the closet finished...and all your clothes back in. Great job!

Any pictures? :)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I asked you to remind us, then forgot to look!
    I am glad I took this challenge as I did complete my basement. it looks much better and more organized.

I also had my oldest daughter go through her closet when she came home a few weeks ago. We are donating two large black garbage bags worth of clothing.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellen- That's wonderful! The entire basement...that's a huge accomplishment. It's great that you got your daughter involved, too :)

• enduring
    10 years ago

What is this all about? I have to grout my floor today, does that count? Its been waiting for a month! The new W/D came a month ago and I managed to grout just the alcove where they went. NOW I need to to finish it. It is my new bathroom remodel that has been in progress since spring. I have been struggling with the paint color too. One other road block is the cement board. I need to replace one area because the hangers did a sh*t*y job with the rough-in holes. I don't want to even bother with the company. They had subcontracted it out to a couple of guys. I can have my DS come and help replace that one panel in a snap.

Anyway, I drink coffee and I am going to get another pot going for the late morning planning and grouting :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Enduring! Nice to see you stop by...coffee is always a wonderful alternative :)

Congrats on getting the grout finished! We're meeting for tea next Monday, since I really need one more week to finish. I thought we all could use a little more time, before Thanksgiving.

That being said, we can always meet for tea anytime. If anyone wants to stop by and visit, I'll check in every day and see what's going on...then start a new thread on the 25th of November. That will give us one month before Christmas, if we decide to do one more Challenge :)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Great. I really want to get this bathroom done before 12-20-13.

Well to update, I also organized my way to the paint store and got another gallon of paint to cover the mistake I made with the first color selection. I need to paint now. Got to organize a paint session for Thursday. No one is expected to attend, just me :)