Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Can't believe I remembered to post here - house dog question

TxMarti
13 years ago

We've always had big dogs who were not allowed on (or ever seemed to want on) the furniture. Now I'm thinking of getting a small dog, part Doxie, about 5 years old. I don't want to deal with scratches or hair on furniture, plus I really like to sit by myself in my chair. Has anyone ever tried to train an older dog not to jump on the furniture? How hard is it?

Comments (8)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

no, my dogs always take over. we did have dogs in the 70's we attempted to keep off the sofa. After we went to bed they'd get up there. I'd sneak down and peak at them. the big dog was lying on her back with all four legs in the air...

my little fox terrier would get up there unless the now X was home. if she was up there and heard him coming she'd get down. He'd yell at her...

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Neither of our dogs want on the furniture unless we are there too. For a short time the younger dog would go into the guest room and sleep on the futon. But that was when it was already covered for the kitties to sleep on. I made the pups their beds and they sleep there.

Retraining might be hard. Don't know for sure. I have not managed it with the younger guy. He still wants in my lap. All 50 pounds of him!!!

Chris

• emagineer
    13 years ago

The only thing I have seen for this is a pad that shocks them when they try to get up on furniture. Or double stick tape on a panel (great decorating ideas). Or just throws for a while if you try to train him. He is little though and suspect he'll want some warm hugs on your lap.

I'm a sucker for my animals and they have the run of the house, plus I love cuddling them or them me. I don't think my house is any more for the wear. They are all well behaved, but sharing my lap or my chest is fine with me.

I knew for a long time that the dog found the couch whenever I was gone. Now I open a window behind so he can see through and wait for me.

How did you come to have this little guy join the family?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think we've decided against this dog. It belongs to a guy dh works with, and is driving them nuts with its behavior. Dh also found someone who has vizla puppies (16 weeks) who wants to trade. I've never been around vizlas so don't know how calm they are in the house. I'm not sure I'm ready for another dog. Maybe I should take down pictures of our last dog. It's going to be hard for the next dog to measure up to her. Now that she's gone, I forget that she wasn't perfect either. lol

I wanted a mutt though because I think they are smarter and healthier. But I haven't been looking, I thought we would just happen across a dog that needed us when we were ready.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

marti what sort of behaviours? most problems can easily be sorted out with patience and training but some people get a dog and ignore the training so they end up with problems. All the little dogs I've owned have always got up on the couch, the only dog that didnt was my lab but I think because of her size she was just more comfortable lying on the floor. I put blankets over the couches (I'm going to make some proper slip covers when I get time) and I just take them off to wash them so if we have company I can just take them off.

I used to have a firm rule about no dogs on the bed but 6 months ago I got a new 3yr old dog who always slept on the bed at the breeders house. It took a lot to get her to sleep in her own bed but in the mean time she taught my other dog about the joys of getting on the bed and now the two of them jump up there all the time and play and wrestle LOL. I've given up, so long as they sleep in their beds at night I can live with it. :)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

' Now that she's gone, I forget that she wasn't perfect either. '

ain't that the truth! lol! as mine age I keep overlooking more and more. I know when they are gone I'll wish they were here to do something they shouldn't...

I don't even complain anymore when girl wants to eat every 2 or 3 hours - even into the middle of the night sometimes. I just thank God she is here for me to feed.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You asked what behaviors. I think the dog is female from what dh has said. She barks a lot and for no reason. I think that could be dealt unless the dog is like moms and has supersonic hearing and tears out of the room barking at a sound no one else hears. They have a baby and the dog wakes the baby.

One time they were on vacation and took the dog. They have 5 little girls - under the age of 6. Mom got out to go into the store and buy stuff for their rented cabin. The minute she opened the door, the dog was out and running. Straight into the store. Mom freaked and dad had to chase the dog all over the store. It was really funny to hear him tell it, but he was so embarrassed and mad too.

It digs, but that happens with dogs. They have a pool and it jumps in and can't get out. We don't have a pool so no problem there.

It chews up the kids stuffed animals and pillows, and seems to prefer those over its own toys.

The main reason they can't keep it is because it nipped the baby and then knocked her over (she was crawling so not hurt, but still).

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

marti I prefer females because you dont have to worry about the leg lifting thing. she sounds like a classic case of a dog that's had no training, and there's just too much stimulation with 5 kids, so she's all revved up and she has no idea how she's supposed to behave. since your kids are grown a lot of the issues wont be a problem. Chewing things is often a sign of boredom or jealousy. I've taken on 4 older dogs and they all come with some baggage, some have more than others but I think in a quieter house and giving her some much needed training and structure she could work out fine for you.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations