Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlady6

What's for dinner?

FlowerLady6
15 years ago

I made up a chicken meatloaf, with ground Purdue chicken, with onion, celery, garlic, Italian bread crumbs, dry beef bouilion and added some sherry to it. Placed the loaf on top of cut up potatoes, carrots and celery, in the crockpot, and added a bit of sherry in the bottom. It will be so nice to get home from work, pour some wine, dish out dinner, with a side of homemade coleslaw and sit back and relax. A small scoop of coffee ice cream for dessert.

Only about 5 hours to go. :-)

FlowerLady

Comments (11)

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Too funny- DW is making turkey meatloaf as I type! We like to add Rotel tomatoes, which have chili peppers chopped up in them for a little kick. She then makes a tomato-based sauce to have over noodles. I love a meatloaf sandwich the next day!

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Meatloaf...that sounds great. Haven't done it for a while, but something that is even better the next day. I'm not a chicken/turkey person. But found I do like ground chicken burgers off the grill.

And I didn't answer your question. Am a terrible eater, single life creates odd cooking habits. Like cereal and fruit for dinner. I'd probably ruin your appetite sharing any more.

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Tonight we had stuffed bell peppers. Chris

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Well Chris, that is one of my favorites too. And I do like the next day leftovers. Won't tell you what I had last night. But a half price sale at the store on frozen dinners this week, so I stocked up big time.

Has anyone frozen milk? They had $1 half gallons. I drink a lot of milk, but not enough to reap the savings for more than a week. Bought an extra and froze it to see how it would turn out. Not sure if it is going to taste right and a bit hesitant to try.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sandy ~ I did a quick google search and came up with the following:

http://www.ochef.com/1030.htm

Can I freeze milk by the gallon?

If you mean, "can I buy a gallon-sized plastic container of milk and chuck it in the freezer when I get home?," the answer is no. At the very least, you have to free up enough space in the container so that it doesn't burst when the milk expands in freezing. It will expand by 9 percent, so you need to remove about a cup and a half of milk per gallon to prevent a flood.

The other possible interpretation of your question is, "does freezing (and thawing) diminish the quality of milk?"

The people who promote and sell milk do not want you to freeze it. According to the National Dairy Council, freezing causes "undesirable changes in milk's texture and appearance." The dairy council wants every glass of milk you drink to be fresh, cold, and delicious. It wants you to love milk. It doesn't want you (or your children) ever to associate splotchiness or graininess with a glass of milk.

And freezing milk does cause some degree of separation among its components. Skim and low-fat milk freeze (thaw, actually) better than whole milk, as there is less separation. You can shake the thawed milk vigorously or beat it in an electric mixer, but it still will not have the same "mouth feel" as milk that has not been frozen. The dairy board and other milk groups suggest that you might prefer to use previously frozen milk in cooking and baking, and save never-frozen milk for drinking.

There is some disagreement on how long you should keep milk in the freezer (ranging from three weeks to three months). Milk readily absorbs other flavors, so the sooner you get to it, the more likely it will still taste like milk. It should be thawed in the refrigerator, and will take a day or more for a gallon to thaw thoroughly.

Hope this helps.

FlowerLady

• emagineer
    15 years ago

You really went to a lot of trouble to find the answer for me. Thank you.

As it is, I don't even like the looks of the half gallon frozen. It turned an odd yellow, is 1%. Didn't lose anything trying and think I'll skip the idea. Love milk too much for it to be anything other than fresh.

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Tonight we have an experiment. We stuffed a boneless pork roast with spinach, feta, olives, mushrooms, garlic, and seasonings. It's cooking on the grill right now. I always do large cuts of meat on the Weber grille with a drip pan underneath, and a few chunks of wood thrown in for smoke. Usually you get drippings in the pan, which make the best gravy! It has all the flavoring of the meat and seasoning, plus a hint of smokiness.

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Clam Chowder home made.The white kind. I have to work tonight so hubby can feed himself when he is ready.

Emagineer make some cheese from that cheep milk.

Flgargoyle your experiment sounds wonderful.

Chris

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Experiment was a success! Yumm! Have you ever had Rhode Island Clam Chowder? That's the clear kind- the only kind I knew growing up. You know right away if there's a good amount of clams in it- you can see them.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chris ~ I haven't fixed stuffed bell peppers in ages. What's your recipe? Your homemade clam chowder sounds wonderful too.

flgargoyle ~ Your experiment sounds delicious! I told DH about that and he thought so too.

I've got white chili in the crockpot today and look forward to walking into our little cottage and smelling that wonderful aroma. First had that in a neat little restaurant on the Susquehana River in Owego, NY. I found the recipe in my microwave cookbook and that's how I fixed it the first time. It was delicious. I decided to use the crockpot this time. Used Navy beans. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

What's for dinner at your place?

Are you thinking about Thanksgiving yet? I looked up some recipes online today and got some ideas.

FlowerLady

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Every other year, we have family visit for Thanksgiving, and we pull out all the stops. This is an 'off' year, but we'll still do it up. I always cook the turkey on the Weber charcoal grille, and catch the drippings to make a wonderful smoky gravy. I make a large (4.5#) loaf of country french bread that rivals the turkey for size. It is a mild sourdough. I'll make pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin, and in recent years, we've been making Santa Fe relish, a super easy cranberry based condiment that everyone loves. Just google it to find the recipe. We both love to cook, and on big days like Thanksgiving, I like the traditional, and use all fresh ingredients. Right now, I'm trying to get in shape and lose some weight, but on the holidays, anything goes!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County