Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlady6

Our kitchen before and after

FlowerLady6
15 years ago

Here is one of our projects before and after.

Our cramped, kitch filled kitchen before we opened it up to the utility room.

{{gwi:2066737}}

The sink and stove area before.

{{gwi:2066740}}

{{gwi:2066743}}

We painted the cupboards.

{{gwi:2066745}}

Shelves over new stove for bowl collection.

{{gwi:2066747}}

The picture below had been a dream for years and I just love it. We call it the 'scullery' because DH did some duty in the Navy's scullery when he was in the beginning of his 4 years of service. Plus looking up the definition of a scullery is where dishes are washed and food, etc. is stored. The utility room was only 6'9"x7'. We decided to leave the studs showing for more space, we did put up insulated wallboard under the siding on the outside, and used masonite on the inside, rough side showing, and painted it gloss white.

What a difference! I now have lace curtains in the window, and also have a red and black microwave. The china closet cupboard is a curb-side find. An older area of homes was being torn down, we got this one and started stripping the paint off and like all the different layers of color showing through, so only partially stripped it for that peeling look. The metal cabinet next to the counter was found, as well as the porcelain top between it and the cupboard. The drawer was found across the street when they remodeled their kitchen and DH partially stripped it also.

The little cupboard to the left under the sink was also found curbside, down the street. Behind the curtain DH used two porcelain drop leaves from an older table to make a 2 shelf little unit on wheels that we can wheel out to get to shelves in the back and we have a lazy susan he made to the right in the corner. We wanted to keep things portable in case we have to do any work under the sink. The bought the sink for $40 I think, from a salvage place or it was free. I can't remember now. The window we had stashed.

{{gwi:1535729}}

The fridge is in a bump-out area into the 3 ft. area behind the house that the water heater is in. He made the shelf above it to slide out and I love it. Our fridge is short. Beside it is stored my ironing board.

{{gwi:2066749}}

This is my bread machine area, over the found drawer. DH made the spice rack for me when we were newlyweds living in Spain, where he was stationed in the US Navy for 3 years.

{{gwi:2066750}}

You can see we've collected 'stuff' through the years. Not doing it anymore, except for books and stuff we 'find' curbside. We do not go to flea markets, yards sales or thrift shops to buy more 'stuff'. We don't need anymore.

{{gwi:2066751}}

Next to the fridge is another little unit that was thrown out across the street. We used a wire unit to mount to 2x4's and dh used old jalousies to make shelves in between studs to match up to shelves in the wire unit. Works for me.

{{gwi:2066752}}

I just love going into this light filled, colorful area, and I love looking out into our secret garden as I wash dishes. The scullery makes me happy.

Here are two pics I took recently of one of our 4 feline girls watching butterflies, and peeking in the scullery window. I am always seeing butterflies and the occasional hummingbird also while I wash dishes.

{{gwi:2066753}}

{{gwi:878925}}

That's it for now. I'm sure that was enough to look at. I'll take a couple more pictures later to show you the east wall in the main kitchen area, and of our storage under the little sink in that area.

I am thankful for all that DH can do and am thankful to be his helper in all of our projects, from hoisting ridge beams up ladders to sweeping up. We are a team.

FlowerLady

Comments (14)

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Flower! That is the cutest, cutest kitchen I've ever seen!!! I loved both the before and after. What an eye for decorating you have.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cousin Edna ~ What a sweet treat to see you here. Thank you so much for your kind words about our kitchen. It's not modern or full of expensive appliances, countertops, etc., but it's ours and we are not in debt. I had fun decorating it with our collected stuff. Now I am working on decluttering not just the kitchen but the whole house.

Glad to see you here and hope you will post some pics of your sweet place inside and out. I already know you have lovely gardens.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Terrific job on your kitchen! It gives hope to those of us who are still working on our goals. DW collects old kitchen utensils- many of yours look familiar! I couldn't help but notice the loaf of bread- I'm a baker myself, during the winter months. I like making it almost as much as eating it! Our current house has a small galley kitchen, which is frustrating with two cooks in the house. Our next house (in SC) will be a good deal smaller, but the kitchen will be much larger, with room for two chefs. Here's our kitchen, with the new cabinets I made. I just used plain lumber and beadboard. I did 26 doors and drawer fronts for $300- not too bad! BTW- Our kitchen NEVER looks like this- everything was put away while we did the cabinets.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flagargoyle ~ Wow, you did a fantastic job on your kitchen cabinets! Such a great price also. That would have cost you a bunch for sure. I love beadboard. It's what we have on our little library walls, and closet walls.

That was a loaf of oat bread made in my bread machine. One of my favorite kitchen tools. I really enjoy making pizza dough in the thing too.

Our old kitchen set up was barely big enough for one, I like this so much better. DH and I can wash dishes together or just talk, or look out the window with space around us.

I got into collecting kitchen gadgets a long time ago. Now I'm trying to weed out. I enjoy my 'stuff'.

I've been looking at small country type places in GA, SC and NC as we would like to move from here if the opportunity ever arose. The thought of it is really daunting though. Too much stuff collected in our 39 years together.

Thanks for posting your pictures. Post some more of your place if you would.

FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Flowerlady I love your kitchen. Your collections are making me drool. I like it when I can look at a wall for more than one minute and not see it all. Makes things interesting.

I am also into the greens and blues. I used to be only blue then slid into the green and could not cut loose of the blue. So why not have both. Toss a little turquoise in he mix and a fun time was had by all. So far I have only hung a few plates up on my walls. Wanting to paint first. Soon I hope. Praying for long snowy winter.:^))

I am working right now and sewing curtains and new dog and kitty beds when I am not feeding the kitties for my friends=work. Have kitchen plugged up with ironing board and stuff. I will take some nice pictures as soon as I get that mess sorted out.

Thank you for the tour. I really enjoyed it.Hope others join in.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Forgot to say I would love to see more pictures of your house.

Kitty in window and on fountain is a riot! So pretty and so CAT. Hehehehe

Flgaroyle your cabinets are wonderful! You did a great job.

Chris

• emagineer
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you posted pics. Keep it up so I can start feeling guilty and do so myself. I need the push and tis
    time. Thank you too for getting the forum going again, you have and many new people are showing up.

I love what you have done, especially finding corners for every thing loved and all looks so cozy yet workable. All reminds me of an English kitchen. I've always wanted one with furniture rather than cupboards.

Wow Flgargoyle, am so impressed. Thanks too for pics. I would be interested to know how many of us in smaller homes are more diy than hiring contractors. You saved tons of money for a beautiful result.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Chris ~ It has been raining off and on all day so far, so it's been an indoor day for me. At least the gardens are getting a nice watering and there is no thunder and lightening.

Thank you for your kind words.

*** I like it when I can look at a wall for more than one minute and not see it all. Makes things interesting. ***

Well, in our place there is definitely plenty to look at. : -) Some would say way too much.

Will be looking forward to seeing pics of your home and gardens. You have done quite a lot for just having moved in.

emagineer ~ Like I've said elsewhere, we've lived here since 1973. All that was here when we moved in was the little house, and lots of pine trees. Trees for the most part have been destroyed by several hurricanes and a beetle that came in with the last hurricane for us, Wilma, which was 3 years ago next month. It took us awhile to get our fannies in gear working on this place, and now we've got quite the little compound. Hurricane season isn't cool, and the hot, humid weather is the pits, but the mild winters are great!

Thank you for your compliments also. It makes me feel good since we are a little weird compared to most folks. :-) We had family tell us many years ago that we just ought to tear this place down and build a new house. Ha, we're glad we didn't listen to them, because we're not in debt and are enjoying our little place.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's small homes and gardens.

FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Me again. Flowerlady I looked so hard at your pictures. You have inspired me to marry two pieces I have making them one and taking up half the floor space. I have two cabinets. One old jelly cabinet or pie safe. Has screen door on front. Second cabinet has glass doors and I am pretty sure was the top cabinet removed from a kitchen.

Looking at your tall cabinet with glass doors gave me the idea. I need to build out the jelly cabinet three inches on the sides. The other cabinet is three inches wider. Sigh.They are the same depth. I am going to cheat and just add trim boards top and bottom to jelly cabinet giving it a little wider stance and interest to the square box look. I will draw a soft curved design on the added wood. No worry about anything matching. Paint and glass and old china will cover all eventually. Heheheh I am already having visions for the design.

This is going to be perfect. It will live in the guest room/sewing room den and hold all my collection of vintage sewing boxes and actually hold my bobbins and sewing stuff. I am so excited about this project!!

And in case inquiring minds want to know. I want the glass door cabinet on top even though I need to add to the smaller cabinet to make it work. The other cabinet holds my craft books.I think it will be a good idea to attach the two pieces to each other.

I have about 16+ things ahead of this project but I will pick up the wood tomorrow on my way home from work. This is going to be so fun. BIG space saver and exactly what I was looking for for this room. I just bought the glass door cabinet at yard sale a couple of weeks ago.$7.50

Chris

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Chris ~ Glad our cupboard was inspiration for you. I know you'll do great with putting your two pieces together. What a deal you got getting the glass door cabinet for $7.50. Fantastic find. I can't wait to see the picture of this finished project and the room you set it up in.

Have fun. Now you've got my mind cranking away on using an old cedar free-standing closet that we 'curbside' shopped, for my crochet threads, knitting yarns and embroidery threads, etc. Hopefully we can work it into our bedroom remodel. We'll see. I'd love to find a glass door cabinet, but haven't yet. we have some old paned windows maybe we could put one of those in the door to this cupboard. : -)

FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

I bought the wood today. I promised myself if I am good tomorrow and get the garden shelves built I can allow myself to work on this cabinet set up. It might be awhile before I can get it primed and painted.AH Need to get primer. Just to get it together will be fun.

Hope you can resurrect your free standing closet. I am all for remaking re-purposing things. I am using an old desk for what was a kitchen island and it is so perfect. Now it is more on the wall at new kitchen but it still functions well and a great addition to the counter space and storage.

Chris

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Here's one of my sets, from the play 'Mousetrap'. Theatre sets are a bit different because: A) you have to over-emphasis things to be seen from the audience, and B) You can get away with murder because the audience can't see the details! I spent about $400 and 60 hours on this set. Furnishings are borrowed; the grandfather clock (mine) is over 200 years old, and has wooden gears! Most theaters use canvas covered walls, but mine are actually wood, so you don't get the shaking walls when someone slams a door. As you can imagine, I can't wait to start building my own 'set'!

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flgargoyle ~ Great set. You will do a fantastic job with building your own 'set' when the time comes. I bet you are itching to get going and the time will be here before you know it. If we're all still in touch through this forum when the time comes, I'll want to see some pictures before, during and after. : -)

What a beautiful old grandfather clock you have! Just wonderful.

FlowerLady

• gayle0000
    15 years ago

flgargoyle, I have the same stove as you do!!!! I think you have a few more buttons than I do, but for the most part it's the same.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia