Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Painting and overhwhelmed

emagineer
17 years ago

Am so sick of painting and yesterday I became overhwhelmed with all not finished. I called my daughter and asked her for a "mom" day. Mom day means I need help, she is coming over to give a hand with some loose ends. With the holiday weekend she only has 4 hours, so I need to make sure the time is used wisely. I hate asking for help, even though she is always a trooper about it.

The project that did me under was my little bath. At first I thought it had so much potential, wanted to go with color, do something feminine. It had been upgraded from the 50s bath, has beadboard all around. I tiled the tub surround in a very pale tan, looks so much better....then started to paint. Ugh, 3 colors later the room is now in one neutral tone and my norm of simple is back. I just can't do the strong wall colors, looked at lots of examples of same type bath, but colors just weren't working for me. I do love color, but far more in accessories.

Ooops, got off the subject a tad...painting doing me in. The bath has beadboard all around. It is the biggest pain to paint and takes 3 times as long as a wall. What is the deal with this trend toward beadboard in baths and kitchens? Prior to painting this it was obvious the amount of work keeping it clean, every bit of dirt lands in the little "bead" at the bottom near baseboard and the back of sink. You cannot just wipe this stuff down, or vacuum these little areas. Towel racks above? Damp anything settles dirt into beadboard crevices.

The painting is done, had to sand and dig out paint drips from previous owner. I even tore a small beadboard section out considering going back to a normal wall. The original 1/2" thick plastic marble is in back of it and would have had to gut the room to get rid of both.

So...I am stuck with beadboard, the painting is done and my daughter will help me install medicine cabinet and wall storage today. Am taking a break from the dozen other projects inside, ignore the loose ends...something that will take a great deal of patience as I am a bit overboard on the visual side. Will clean house big time and settle in with as little chaos as possible. Still have too many boxes from move, but not touching them either.

I am almost glad winter is upon us, there will be plenty of time to do stuff in the house (keep telling myself). Going out to enjoy the yard, plus pick up apples which have fallen all over from the squirrels. This has to be done as the bears are back, they travel all over the neighborhood for fruit, fences do not deter them. Too bad my dogs won't eat apples.

My rant/ramble for the day...feel better just writing it out. And the rest of my life is good....

Sandy in Colorado

Comments (13)

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holy cow ~ It's no wonder you are overwhelmed Sandy. You need to take little breaks from all this work, even if just for 10-15 min. Remodeling projects can really be the pits. You have to try to keep a sense of humor about it all otherwise you'll go berserk! Tempers can flare, tears fall, etc. etc. It doesn't have to be done all in one day, even though that's what we'd really like to happen. Sometimes we open cans of worms also when we start a project, which takes more time before we are finished. What's great is that eventually you'll be finished and you can sit back and enjoy all your handiwork.

Hope we'll get to see some pictures.

FlowerLady

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flowerlady....Part of my problem is I do take breaks, not as capable as once was which leads to mistakes or error in judgement. My norm is early morning energy,,,,late afternoons are total brain fog, which has turned into "naps". Breaks have evolved into reading our forum,

You are right and why I ranted this morning. Can't all be done today/now, tis time to focus on one small project at a time and rejoyce with each finished result.

Really nice if you to respond to my storm,

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

A little hint...have you thought about calking the trim where the beadboard meets the baseboard (use clear caulk). At least this will prevent the "schmutz" from landing in the crevices and making you crazy LOL ;o) We have beadboard in our master bath, and this has worked well for us.
    I can definitely relate to being overwhelmed with painting. I have just spent the past 3 1/2 weeks painting a rental cottage on our property. The last tenants needed to be introduced to a vacuum, mop, and bucket...heavens! Yuck!! What are people thinking? I know it's 'just a rental', but you still have to live there...I digress. DH tried to give me as much time to help with the painting, but his schedule is alot less flexible than mine, and he works longer hours. So, it was basically up to me. Given the fact that I'm a bit, shall we say, anal...I couldn't just go in there and *paint*. So by the end of last week, when we were reounding the corner to the end stretch, I was feeling a bit...frazzled??? ready to just sit on the floor and bawl my sorry little a** off. I hadn't had time to do anything around our house (and to me, cleanliness is next to godliness...hey! I'll get there one way or another!), so combined with the dirty house, the piles of laundry, the overgrown yard, and the rest of the JIT list for the cottage, I was definitely overwhelmed. But, all things in due time. Unfortunately, we had a time schedule to adhere to because the new tenants moved in this past weekend. So, I hear ya', sista'. Let's raise a virtual glass of wine to all of us hardworking gals, and raise an honest-to-goodness one when the sun sets later on this evening. Make that two, or three...congratulations on a job well done, and glad to hear the rest of your life is good. So in the Big Radar Screen of Life, a small blip, indeed ;o)
    Nora

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

It's great that you could get some help.

I am just starting to paint my cabinets--just finished the bathroom vanity and am already overwhelmed just thinking about all the kitchen cabinets. I will just have to think of the big job as one door at a time--a half-hour to sand and wash, 3 days for 3 coats of paint, removing and replacing hardware...then once the doors are all painted, there's the hours of fiddling with them to get them hung evenly :(

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nora,
    I did caulk the back of the sink. But it just settled into the grooves which meant I still had grooves to deal with...only a tad higher.

You also mentioned something that hit home...I too am detail oriented and like my house clean with some order. Things are in chaos right now and part of the irritation. Fridays are washing clothes day, but only got half through. The beadboard may not be a cleaning issue for me personally....that dirt left behind could have been there for 5 years. Previous owner was definitely not a housekeeper and a bunch of stuff fixed more by cludging than workable.

Not wanting to lean on other's hard work, but nice to know other's are out there. You sound like painting almost did you in too. Hope your new renters will appreciate the love and effort.

This could be another topic, but it is always interesting to me when someone asks if the floor, microwave, stove, bath, etc. is easy to clean. And all those special cleaning products created for specifically for them eludes me. I don't tell those that ask that if you wipe up when needed, nothing is hard to keep clean. Well, almost, I had a stainless steel stove and swore at it constantly. Couldn't touch it without prints all over and got sucked in using "special" cleaners which never worked. I really like tile counters, they fit my budget and style. Never had an issue with keeping them clean which seems to be the downside pointed out when considering tile.

Krusty, if you need any moral support....jump in and ask. I had no idea these gals would come to my rescue...really needed my rant yesterday. Are you doing all of this on your own? Your job is far beyond what I have been doing.

My daughter showed up and we got the wall units up. New medicine cabinet was pulled out from the box and looked like it was in a train wreck....even had a paper attached inside marked damaged. Why do these stores put stuff like this back on the shelves? Have got to remind myself to always check products before buying them. It needs to go back and don't think it will work in the scheme of things, but my car is on radar for HD and Lowes....could probably just put it in drive and it would know how to get there without me.

We also picked up all the apples on the ground...am behind on yard work too. Since they can't be put in trash with bears around we dug holes and dumped them in. Will remember next spring to plant around the holes, has to be good fertilizer by then.

Still bunches to do, but as said yesterday....life is good too. Oh, my writing "Really nice if you to respond", was meant to be "nice of", sounded like I was begging for mental help. Or a freudian slip....

Yup, will send pics when I'm done....it definitely is looking better.

Sandy

• postum
    17 years ago

Well, I have been putting off painting my bedroom for at least a year, and every night I sit there loathing it - how stupid is that? Because I really, really hate painting - the fumes, the mess, the moving furniture around. So I am overwhelmed and I haven't even started! Pathetic.

I totally agree with you about the cleaning. I just about have a miracle cloth glued to my hand - you clean it up right away, and there you go. Those miracle cloths really are a wonder - they're the only specialty thing I need.

Thanks for the information about the beadboard - I've seen a lot of photos on the home dec forum of it and it looks great - didn't think about the maintenance issues.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your bath!
    Amy

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amy,

My bath is "almost" finished....there are some small things to do like detailing trim, caulking, etc. and then adding the fun stuff. It feels so much cleaner, bigger and is really nice to walk into now.

Maybe the beadboard will work better now with a good coat of paint. They sure show this in a lot of kids baths and kitchens, but I just wouldn't do it. I also have wood floors throughout the house, in a bath it doesn't make sense to me either. You have to hang towels and wet wash clothes somewhere.....this means damp invading more wood.

Ms.Mary, you seem to do well with beadboard....so maybe I am way off on the usability.

I "think" I still like to paint. It has never been a job to me, always loved watching the transformation, but sure wasn't much fun this time. If you really don't like painting, why not get some friends together and whip through your bedroom. There are always those around who love a good paint party. And you will love your room so much more. My daughter and I painted 3 rooms in a day, although I am such a detail person there is still some trim that needs touch up and bugs me when I see it. Also, I've been using Behr and doesn't seem to have the odor as once was.

My son has been gone for a month and just got home yesterday. Thankfully, as the tub faucet wouldn't go back on with added tile, he needs to add an extension piece....I don't do plumbing...although I sure know how to disassemble stuff. He will be here for 3 weeks, then off to DC for 6 weeks, mentioned that we need to winterize the sprinklers before he leaves again. Reality that fall is here with winter close behind.

I am taking a break from the interior and finishing up some things outside while the sun shines. My paver walk in front is half done, new exterior doors/trim needs painting and some general pickup. Also need to take advantage of my son being here for stuff I can't reach or know how to do.

Working outside is a good breather, will give me a break ...hopefully with some added creativity to return working on the inside during winter snows. With the odd changes in weather this summer, it wouldn't surprise me if we get hammered with snow storms this year. Good excuse to stay inside and gives me plenty of time to get in trouble with new projects.

Never thought I would have a grown son living with me. But as long as he travels it works for both of us. It did take some time to get used to having him around, and admission that both of us are ready for our own space and doing our own thing by the time he deploys. Didn't make sense for him to pay for a place he would rarely live at and helps each of us financially. This includes not having to pay for handymen, he is really good at what needs fixed. Is the easy going of my 3, together with both of us being computer/electronic nerds...so the short time he is here is welcomed.

Ooops, got off subject and really rambled....

Amy, try to do your bedroom. The work and mess is an issue, but forgotten once done and results will be the serenity needed.

Sandy

• postum
    17 years ago

Sandy - thanks for the kick in the rear! I started on the bedroom yesterday - got up the primer and one coat. The color isn't working, so I got a couple of those little tester pots from the hardware store on my way to work. Should be finished by Saturday - after 3 years of putting it off!! I'll post pics when I'm done. Already, going from deep dark green to yellow makes a world of difference (even though the yellow is the wrong shade.)
    Thanks again! Amy

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amy,
    Thought I posted yesteday, but sure didn't show up. Wanted to say how nice that you let me know I was of some value...even with my rant. Best to you and would love to see the finished project. I'm almost there and will post pics also.

Sandy

• dayleann
    17 years ago

Sandy, I am really really glad you posted your rant! I am so far behind (health issues) that sometimes I feel too overwhelmed to even begin. Now I realize it's not just me, and not just my situation. It seems to go with the territory. Thinking about what you wrote, and the responses you got, I realize I have been getting in my own way. I CAN do this-- I just need to be willing to do a bit at a time as I can.

Thank you. I think maybe this kind of sharing and support is the best part of a forum like this.

Dayle Ann

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I am curious as to some of y'alls ages. When I was in my 40's it was so important that things were done/matched. We built this house in 1996 and I was then in my early 50's. My feet spent a lot of time under the sewing machine making co-ordinating curtains, shower curtains and duvet covers etc.
    Now that my DH has passed away none of this is important any more. Maybe it is still the depression, but I really don't care if any thing needs painting. I look at it and think it needs work and don't care.

• burgh_grl
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone...boy,do I relate to the overwhelmed state.
    In the midst of having l.r., d.r, and kitchen walls skimmed & then retextured. Also, popcorn ceilings in those areas re-done. This will be the last week of the work, but we've been living out of the bedroom and a tiny office space. Kitchen useage is minimal at best, as you have to gently pry the plastic sheeting that's attached to the ceiling & FULL of joint compound extras that fell from the hopper. Oyyy vey...one day at a time is all I keep saying.

Our thanksgiving will be spent on the floor in that main area...literally. We'll be installing tile flooring for five days...at least.
    The BIG PICTURE...gotta remind ourselves. This is tiring, taxing on the nerves...but it is..short term. I think!

I feel your pain! Learning so much from reading all these discussions. Never thought of the beadboard being such a pain. You've changed my direction on that for sure...thanks!!
    Be well all!!
    Donna

• emagineer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haven't looked at the conversation side for a while. Tis been quiet, so missed the last few posts.

Nat, I too am widowed and in my 60s. It has been a long time now to be alone. The process of doing things myself has always been there, although doing it alone means it takes longer and I have to elicit help on some levels. I still have the passion for creative outlets and my home is one them. It may take some time for you if this was once part of your interests. New and changes may be still part of letting go. This is also not the home once lived in which may also make it easier for me to create my living space anew. I hope you are able to regain the interest if they were once loved and enjoyed.

Donna, yup the beadboard thing was a pain. And now I actually hate the color but don't want to go there again. Have looked for tricks on painting this easily but most of the articles are about new installs where a painter sprays the entire room. I did find one that suggested painting small areas first with a roller, then brush while still wet, whcih may be a solution for doing so by hand. Don't take my experience to not do this if you really want beadboard. Mine was already there and had been painted prior which was part of the issue.

The popcorn ceiling may be worse than any beadboard thought of. You are really working hard and yes reminding ourselves of the final product helps. Taxing and tedious, the results all worth it. Hopefully any of us dealing with the details of all will look back and be able to laugh at such. Even choosing to do so during the holidays.