13 years ago

The breezes taste of apple peel,

The air is full of smells to feel-

Ripe fruit, old footballs, burning brush,

New books, erasers, chalk and such.

The bee, his hive, well-honeyed hum,

And Mother cuts chrysanthemums.

Like plates washed clean with suds,

the days are polished with a morning haze.

- John Updike

Anyone have any other September poetry/prose/art/pictures to share? Maybe we'll do this every month!

Jay

Comments (16)

• User
    13 years ago

I'll give you my poem which brings September to mind. This year, Labor Day WOULD have been my 52nd anniversary (married 1958) to my son's father. Without background for the end of that relationship, here is a poem I read in 1974, the year we divorced after 16 years together, and it has stayed with me all these years.

A CERTAIN SADNESS

A certain sadness touches me
    With thoughts too deep to share.
    Not that you never loved me
    But that I cease to care.
    --Anonymous

For years, September always made me restless. I suppose it was the time to start new things, like going back to school, with new studies and new experiences. As I became older and the school bell stopped ringing, I chose the month of September for my favorite travel time.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

September is when kids go back to school, vegetables are ready to harvest and the county fair brings people together.

I enjoy September, as it finally cools off enough to go outside and get something done...but still a month or more before snow :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

September is a bit bitter sweet for me too. Also the month I married and lost my first husband.

On a more odd note. My half sister that at the time I did not even know about got married on the same day in September as I did. Just one of those things that happen oh and I was born on my aunts wedding day only a few years earlier. Like maybe 10 or so. LOL

I have a wonderful Fall picture I will see if I can round it up in all my picture CD's.

Great thread Jay. Thanks

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

This picture to me has been an inspiration in so many ways. Ifound it on AOL many years ago, hope I do not get in trouble by sharing it with you.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Neat picture ML.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

September to me has always meant fall is coming. Although, for us down here in s.e. FL, it may not happen for a couple of months yet. I still get hints of it, today is not one of them though. Currently at 2:10 p.m. it is 91 degrees and feels like it is 106. Enough already.

September is also the month we got married, and we will be celebrating our 41st anniversary this week.

"It isn't material things that make you happy.
    The first thing is finding someone to love
    and someone who loves you
    and taking the time to enjoy life for what it is,
    rather than what others expect it to be."

Taken from the book 'On Tall Pine Lake'

{{!gwi}}

• idie2live
    13 years ago

"The morrow was a bright September morn;
    The earth was beautiful as if newborn;
    There was nameless splendor everywhere,
    That wild exhilaration in the air,
    Which makes the passers in the city street
    Congratulate each other as they meet."
    - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Gargoyle - I don't have any September poetry to share, although I do have a piece I put together about two years ago and it mentions October. Maybe next month? But hey, I'm heading back up to Rosman, NC Friday afternoon. The mountains are calling and I need to get away from the heat and stupidity.....I mean heat and humidity. Dang filter is broke again.

I'm going to try coming down on the SC side of the mountain again. See if I can get the route right this time. Need to stay on Hwy. 11 out to Campobello then I-26 back to Cola town.

Is that a pregnant fairy? Do we dare ask who the father is?

Scott

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I take it you are going to come down 178 from Rosman? That's a pretty, but windy road. Our property is a few miles south of the intersection of 11 and 25- wave as you drive by!

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Gargoyle- What a wonderful weekend! The high temperature was about 69, the low was maybe in the high 50's or low 60's. I wasn't up to check it. No humidity. Saturday was rainy but today was gorgeous. We took an 8 mile kayak trip in short sleeves and never broke a sweat. When we got up this morning we were looking down at the clouds. The green peaks that broke through the clouds made it look like a sea of white with little emerald islands scattered around. The house we stayed in is up around 2,700 or 2,800 feet so it is pretty high up. Because of the high cost that property with elevation and views demands, most of the houses are very large and equally expensive. It's too bad there isn't a smaller, less expensive options for common folks like me to live in such a spectacular location.

We took 178 south to 11 and followed 11 out to I-26 and back down to Columbia. By the time we got down to the entrance to Table Rock State Park, we had to roll the windows back up and kick on the AC. Our constant companion the humidity was back. Not as bad as here in Columbia, but noticeable once again.

I'm sure you are going to love it once you get there full time.

Scott

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you had a good trip! It's amazing what a difference altitude makes. Sometime make the same trip in early April, and make a note of which spring shrubs are in bloom. By the time you get to Highlands NC (4100') it's winter still. We get some benefit of that even in Travelers Rest. Overnight lows will be some 5 degrees cooler than Greenville.

We'll be up in SC the third week of October- I can't wait! The low was 84 here this morning- and humid.

• User
    13 years ago

Please take a moment to watch this Bud ad. It aired only once, on September 11th. You may well be as touched as I was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bud September 11th ad

• User
    13 years ago

With the autumnal equinox almost here, I'm noting the sun is quickly approaching its exact western location in the sky. Like the ancient folks who kept track of such events, I plan to mark its spot in the sky when the first day of autumn arrives. It will be easier to locate shade trees to throw the shade where you want it.

I planted a couple of deciduous trees on the hot western side of our house, so they would not have leaves keeping the warmth out in the winter. A bald cypress is up toward the northwest and when it gets bigger will not interfere with the winter sunlight.

But already our yard here in Alabama is littered with dead brown leaves. Nothing pretty about them. How is the color in the September trees elsewhere?

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Those wonderful "Gentle Giants". We had two on the farm and it was amazing watching them run, seeing all the muscles move in what felt like slow motion. I do remember that ad. Some of the horses are kept up north from where I live.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Darn I am so sorry I am not very poetic. Sorry. Certainly enjoying every one else's though.

Love the pregnant fairy and love birds are gorgeous.

Chris

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor