Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

Books and life dreams.

Shades_of_idaho
13 years ago

So ML's post about books made me comment and then I HAD to go see if I tossed those beloved books that I believe saved me life and sanity. AND YES I do still have them.

So it was Helen Hoover that wrote the books I so dearly loved. I found them in Readers Digest that came to my house when I was young. I did not have the best of home life and not looking for a pity party. Just stating that this first book came to me at a time I so desperately needed hope to be able to go on. Belief there was a better life beyond what I was living at the time.

I left home the day after I graduated form high school never to go back. This Book A Place in The woods was where I wanted to live. Well I did move to Yosemite or close and work at a family camp for that first summer and then spent another 19 years trying to get back to my Place in the Woods.Working and saving my money.

Sort of funny now thinking about all of this as their cabin in the woods was a small place and my first cabin in the woods only it was not wooded right at the house was small.

She wrote many books but the three. A Place In The Woods. Days of the forest and Gift Of The Deer are my very Favorite.

Found the first one and NOW I am going to have to read the set again. I think the Yearling is also in my collection and I thought it was part of this series as it is similar but is is written by a different author.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: A Place In The Woods.

Comments (18)

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I have to say I went to read the reviews and it was not only me that had been so touched by her books. WOW I am SO glad I kept them. You all might not see me for a few days while I re read them. And work. Darn Have to do that again starting tomorrow.

Chris

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

It's amazing how books can touch our lives. For me, a book can transport me in a way that no movie can. With a book, the author's descriptions work in your mind to create a unique scene. In a movie, the decision has already been made for you. I guess that's why I'm generally disappointed in the movie version of a great book.

Would an old man like me enjoy these books? I read the first page on Amazon, and it caught my interest.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Some of the books that shaped my young life were the ones in our town library by Gene Stratton Porter. The first I read was "Girl of the Limberlost, " then "Freckles" and "Michael O'Halloran," "Keeper of the Bees," and so on. She was a naturalist and early wildlife preservationist at the turn of the 20th century. Her characters were always in touch with the environment around them and had a sort of non-denominational connection to a higher power.

We lived 7 miles outside of a small town of 3,000 people, in an old farmhouse. We were surrounded by crop fields, but down the road was a gravel pit. Next to that was an old, overgrown gravel pit with ponds and trees and even a pine stand up high overlooking it. There were trails through the Swamp (as we called it) and we rode our bikes around and through it quite often. Years later, we discovered that even further back was a little ravine leading down to the Cass River. It had trails, but a fence cut off progress after a few hundred yards. I was always curious about nature, and I think that Stratton-Porter's books gave me that. I always felt like one of her characters when exploring in nature. Her sense of right and wrong also rubbed off, though the higher power part just never stuck. I did get a lot of my morals and ethics from her, though.

Did any of you other folks read her books? They were most popular in the period of 1905 through the 1920s, but I bet a lot of rural libraries still had them on hand when you were young. I never met anyone else who read her books. I loved the way she did chapter titles: "Chapter I. Wherein Elnora Goes to High School and Learns Many Lessons not Found in Books." "Girl of the Limberlost" was made into a movie four different times, the last was in 1990. She had 50 million readers all around the world and even went to Hollywood to make her books into movies, but was killed in an accident before she could become a movie mogul.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

• User
    13 years ago

I remember reading GIRL OF THE LIMBERLOST. When I was a child, I was a precocious reader, and read all of the Sears Book Club books received by my mother. I even read FOREVER AMBER at a young age, but did not understand what all the hoopla was about that it caused demonstrations at the local movie theater! And in the sixth grade, a friend read A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and marked all the "hot" pages in the school library edition so we'd know where to look, but it still made no sense to me...what was it all about, I wondered. I was also very fond of reading horse stories. Things like MY FRIEND FLICKA, THUNDERHEAD, GREEN GRASS OF WYOMING, all books by Elswyth Thane Beebe. I also loved to visit the local bookmobile and read nonstop every spare minute. I wanted to be a librarian when I grew up, and worked in the public library from the summer I turned 16 until my son was six years old. I also wanted to become a writer, just never was determined enough to apply myself to the chair long enough to do it.

One of my most enjoyable jobs was working ON the bookmobiles. I learned my readers, and what they liked, and I could pick books for them that they loved. I was very good at that. It was half intuitive and half knowledge of the books, but I was good at what I did. I think we can all learn a lot from novels about the human condition.

I do not think that the Kindle or Audible books will take the place of holding the printed volume in your hands. I love to have my books around me.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"I love to have my books around me."

me too! I have boxes of them waiting for shelves in the near future!

I remember a series I read in elem school about a family. several girls in it. I only remember Penny and about her getting ready to go off to college.

I think it must of been about all of the sisters tho - I just don't remember the others. back whenever this was written (or the time it was set in) they packed up trunks to go off to college. I remember that! all seemed so awesome to me. We were so poor and in the book they went shopping for college clothes (not like worn today) and packed them in the trunks. About the time i was reading it we only got a new dress and shoes at Easter and underwear and socks at Christmas. no shopping sprees for sure!

I like to read books about old times - settling of the west, in other countries. sort of travel by book and imagination.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

When my son came back to live with me he brought more boxes of books than living requirements. I suggested he go through them and we donate to the library. Not a second went by before he said "Mom, these are my friends".

I am so glad all the kids love to read. We always bought a book for their BD and Christmas. I traveled in my career and was able to bring some wonderful books home. These adult kids still read these books over again. One of the best collections was the Box Car Children and all the OZ books.

I'm more into history, non-fiction and enjoy suggestions.

As for electronic books, I didn't think this would ever take off. I want the pages in my hand. My daughter is visually handicapped. She told me these were wonderful as she can change the print size and doesn't have to have a big book sitting on her chest to see. And I thought large print books and audio was a gift for her. But this is a big option that opens up another world.

Someone asked what to get for older parents. I suggest electronic books if you have an avid reader and the expense isn't too much to keep up with. Learning curve is not much either. Of course, like me, the concept has to be accepted.

• User
    13 years ago

Emagineer, if you want to read something moving and a real part of our world still, I recommend THE WORST HARD TIME.
    About the dust bowl survivors' stories. I could not put it down.

I also read a lot of nonfiction, my DH reads a lot of history. I subscribed to Audible.com so he and I could listen to the books while we drive long distances. He is hard of hearing though, and much prefers to have the book. But I would like to share time together with him. So it is an unsolved issue with us.

Your kids are fortunate to have a lifelong love of literature, the printed word will not go out of style.

May I point you to a source of old books that will be mostly free? Your visually handicapped daughter can also change the print size here. Look up PROJECT GUTENBERG. I found a few of my beloved books no longer in print there. Things like ARCHY AND MEHITABEL by Don Marquis. It is a site well worth exploring.

• User
    13 years ago

I will put it below, because if you put in "Project Gutenberg" a lot of junk will show up.

The link below will take you to the place I meant to send you.
    Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Gutenberg free book downloads

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks so much for that site. I will tell her about this today. She has worked at the School for Deaf and Blind for 20+ years tranistioning students to the real world. I bet they don't even know about this site, so you have gifted many children by sharing this.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH Dear totally forgot about this thread. Life gets in my way some times.

Jay I do think you would enjoy reading this series. I would look for them in your library or old used book store as the prices on amazon seem pretty high. They are light reading. More from a time in the world when things were more simple. I do enjoy the new world or computers and tech toys. Even more I enjoy going back to the simple times. These books are this way.

ML I will also look into your site to see what is there. Thanks. I do read more on the computer then I actually do picking up a book. I used to lay in bed and read before going to sleep but now it is not comfortable to do so.

Thanks Chris

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Oh, I've been forgetting to check on this side--love this thread! I've been so lucky to have an aunt who loves and collects books--not valuable books, just interesting books. She started reading to me when I was an infant (I've heard that story many times!), and I've always had access to her books. A GIRL OF THE LIMBERLOST was one of my favorites--I tried to read HER FATHER'S DAUGHTER, but didn't enjoy it. I have my own copies of several of Stratton-Porter's books, now.

Since we lived in Clark Co., Oh, when I was a child, Lois Lenske was one of my favs, too. My children were raised in So.Ohio where Jesse Stuart is a legend--my husband has an autographed copy of MR.GALLION'S SCHOOL,from 1967.

I don't know which came first, my love of the past, so my love of 'old-fashioned' books, or my learning to love the old ways, through old books!

• User
    13 years ago

Emagineer, of all the things you might have said, your response leaves me the most appreciative. Thank YOU.

I've come to realize that in this world we can only change the things we reach out and touch.

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Robert James Waller really pulled me in with High Plains Tango which focuses on Carlisle McMillan, a young carpenter and Robert Kincaid's (Bridges of Madison County) illigitmate son, as he retreats to a dying and forgotten town in the high plains where he perfects his craft and finds himself while rebuilding a small, abandoned cabin. If Carlisle were real, he would be one of us. I'm also very enamoured with another character, Susanna Benteen. If there are any Susanna Benteens out there for real, please look me up.

Dan Millman introduced me to the concept of acute awareness in The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. A path I wish I could stay on.

There are many more. Too many to list but these are particularly special to me.

Scott

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

I've read many of the 'classics' mentioned here. :o) It's neat how books can give a very diverse group of people a common point.
    One of my very favourite authors is Jamie Langston Turner. Her style of writing is quite different than the 'norm' it seems. It takes awhile to get into her books but there's much in them that makes a person think - all wrapped up in interesting stories. I think my fav. of hers is called 'Some Wildflower in my Heart'.
    ~Missy

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon

• User
    13 years ago

Scott says, "Dan Millman introduced me to the concept of acute awareness in The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. A path I wish I could stay on. "

Scott, I will look that one up.

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Moc - Millman tells the fictionalized account of himself as a college student and his introduction to the concept of living in the moment and being acutely aware of everything going on around you at that exact moment. Some might call it a state of enlightenment and he does explore that concept too. Although this is a fictional tale, he tells the tale as if it really happened to him and I gather that parts of it did actually happen but he embelishes. Much more tame and understandable than Ekhart Tolle.

I swear that with a little practice, there are times when if you really really focus on all the details creating one particular moment and really take in those details, it is almost like stopping time for one brief moment. Weird and unbelieveable, but attainable. Good luck.

An aging hippie chick I met near Brevard, NC got me interested in reading the book then coached me along for a short while. But like daffodils in spring, or desert flowers after a rainstorm, our time together was brief yet memorable.

Scott

• User
    13 years ago

I just was reading some ads about the Kindle, and ran across their link to free books that you can download from numerous sites. And because it has been of interest to Emagineer's daughter, as well as many other people around here, I want to share this with all of you.

My original favorite, Project Gutenberg, is now much reinforced by sub collections of American and Canadian titles. It's worth keeping track of this resource, because I think students everywhere can have trouble finding a library copy of some things to read for assignments. And I
    am pleased to note, that the very first children's book, GOODY TWO SHOES, is included in these titles.

Let us know if you are able to find some long lost out of print title you treasure from your younger years. Maybe not childhood, but lifetime.

Have fun, everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downloadable Online Free Books/Literature

• User
    13 years ago

Ok, I found a craft project on HOUZZ which takes a fat old book and turns it into an art project. Like a vase or something, cutting it out in a vase shape, removing the covers, and then securing the front to the back.
    I link below the instructions to doing this.

Not recommended to do this with a book you plan to read in the future!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vase from Old Book