Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

Before-n-after: Living Room

idie2live
13 years ago

I hope these pics are not too large. I put the before and after side by side so you could see the changes without scrolling down. This is from last year.

About 7 years ago, I had my chairs upholstered and bought these curtains. But I never got around to painting and accessorizing this room. It was just so dull! So I decided to paint last fall. Before pics on the left and after on the right.

Plain white wall to COLOR! Smaller table, new rug and new lamp.

{{!gwi}}

This recess where the painting is hanging used to be a doorway I cut out to make the bedroom a dining room. After a few years of having it, I decided to have it closed up and use the room to enlarge my bedroom and make a walkin closet. I left it recessed so I could have 4" deep shelves. I wasn't sure how useful they would be, but they work just fine.

I got rid of my dining room table, china cabinet and buffet. I found this table in an antique mall for $150. It matches the sofa that the upholster GAVE me!

{{!gwi}}

This is the painting I found last summer that made me decide to paint. I had been looking for a painting with a rainy scene and some red color if possible. I found a couple, but none were large enough. I happened accross this one at the mall and loved it.

This is the closest to the real colors. The top seems to shift to tan with daylight and a hint of green with lamplight.

{{!gwi}}

After the porch was enclosed and new door installed

Comments (11)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Are you the one that showed your progress on having the porch enclosed? Amazing what changes can take place and what you have done.

You should post over on discussions that your post is here, would have been fine there. I think our group still forgets discussions.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Emagineer. That was me with the porch. I was thinking that it was so difficult to compare the before and after if you have to go through the long threads on the other side. So I thought I would put them over here where they would be at the beginning of the post.

• User
    13 years ago

Ok, this is the "conversation" side, and the on-topic "discussion" is the other one. It is the "conversation" side, this side, which is mostly forgotten.

As long as we all figure out something to do with this side, it will be nice to have it. Idie2live, you have a good approach to keeping it easy, always a winner in my book.

And I am pleased to see the inside of your living room, with the view looking toward the finished porch. Your french door is the perfect touch. I don't think I saw your LR before. I like the chairrail, the paint job, the brown color....even the large preliminary test patch on the original wall color, and the ceiling painted too. The 4" deep shelf recessed into the wall makes an architectural statement, as well as organizing your displayed items. That drop leaf table is a real spacesaver, and the wood is nice and rich looking.

And someone GAVE you the sofa? Wow, it is gorgeous. Fits your style perfectly. I don't know if you have another red/orange pillow for your sofa, but I think one with some red in the design (not a solid color) would tie in with the painting behind the sofa. Or maybe a throw with some red in it, draped across the sofa arm? The blue in your sofa pillows is the ONLY blue I could ever live with. It reminds me of wet silk and the rain going on in your painting.

Well, if I ever finish any projects here, I'll post the before and afters....cut to the chase...like a project in digest form.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I loved those colors the first time I saw them!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I love your LR - and your sofa... and painting... and rug... and shelves etc

did your 'old' front door move out to the porch front door? I love that door also! what a great room!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I do too! Where did you get that sofa Loretta? It is so pretty.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all.
    Steph, the original door did move out front.
    Martia, a guy I know gave me the sofa and did the upholstery very, very cheaply. I think he was looking for a girlfriend. lol
    The sofa and the table are Duncan Phyfe "style". A.K.A knockoffs!

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

idie - Great changes you've made! I also love rainy/gloomy weather pictures.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Idie ~ I love your living room colors, furniture and the view looking out to your porch. A lovely place to come home to.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flower Lady, your porch-turned-office was the main inspiration for mine. After asking you about the doors and windows, I kind of thought it might work for me, and it has. Thanks

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

Wow, loving that! Your couch is awesome.