Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

what's in your wallet?!!

User
13 years ago

Actually, WHAT'S IN YOUR DISHWASHER?

When both of us are here, I generally wash dishes every night. Filling out the load with whatever "clean" dishes that are covered with dust and could stand freshening a little.

But I just put my breakfast stuff in the DW and noticed.

The top tray is full. Absolutely FULL....of coffee cups, milk glasses, wine glasses, and plastic containers only top rack safe.

Down below? There is a little silverware. One plate from the steak I cooked indoors two days ago. A pyrex dish which I used to marinate the steak. The cutting board.

Not really enough to run the dishwasher. So I moved the heavy coffee cups to the bottom. I got some of the parrot bowls and toys to make it look full. And by tonight I think I might run the dish washer for the first time since....last Thursday? I think.

In the past, when I was much younger, and I lived on a house boat, I usually had only glasses and coffee cups in the sink. Apparently it is a characteristic of mine which will endure all my life.

Do any of you notice that you tend to use or dirty up, only certain kinds of things in your house?

I also use the small hand towels as bath mats, or door mats, since it helps the two dogs focus their indoor accidents to one spot. And I can then toss that towel into the washer quite easily. So I always have a lot of bath mats and small towels to fill out washing loads.

Comments (13)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Okay, I'll bite. Mostly glasses, I drink a lot of milk and we even drink coffee in glasses. And bowls from morning cereal. My cutting board is in there too, sometimes the dish scrub brush or sponge scrubbers. I have no problem filling the DW, but why do I hate unloading it? Usually when the dusty collectables go in, they are alone. I rarely wash by hand unless something is in the DW I need now.

Just for fun...my wallet hasn't much. Only 4 IDs of importance and a spot for cell phone. I hate purses, so I carry a very small wallet in whatever pocket exits. Anything another would load a purse with is in a small carrier in the car. And nothing of real value. I figure I'm close enough to the car if something is needed.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Like Emagineer, I hate unloading the d/w. I would love to have 2 dish drawers, bu I still can't swallow the cost. Maybe, someday.
    In my wallet? Don't ask! It hold all of those cards that you use in the stores to save 10 cents off of a $25 item, lol. But interestingly enough, my wallet does not have any money in it! I use a coin purse for my money. Reminds me of my grandmama. She either had her money in a change purse or tied up in a hankie and stuck down in her busom!!!!!111 lol

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I actually prefer just washing the dishes by hand, unless we have a big party. With just two of us, there aren't that many dishes, and I hate it when they pile up in the DW, and you have to take something out and hand wash it because you're out of dishes. We used to use a lot of paper plates, but decided washing dishes was 'greener'. I'm not really sure, since you still use water, soap, and hot water. I wonder which is really greener- paper, or china?

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

I enjoy washing dishes by hand too. We've never had a dishwasher, I've used my late in-laws when over at their place and it was nice, but noisy. I'm sure there are quieter ones now. I like looking out my scullery window while washing dishes. I can see birds, sky, clouds, flowers, butterflies and shrubbery and trees.

Below is a picture of where I wash dishes, otherwise knows as the 'scullery'.

FlowerLady

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

What a great shot of the scullery! I notice no overhead cabinets- that really opens things up. And the view out the window looks great, from what I can see. Who wouldn't mind washing a few dishes at that spot? Your window is very much like my mother's old place. Her view was a nice pond in the yard, and the woods beyond. You'd be surprised what you see if you spend a little time to look out the windows! Mom even kept a pair of binoculars by the sink so she could zoom in on any activity on the pond.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flowerlady, your setup by the sink is what I'm after when we redo our kitchen. No overhead cabs. Maybe a plate rack like the English have, but set sideways. I love having space enough for some of my smaller hanging plants or the small pots which can sit on the ledge. Every place which has high humidity is good for some plants.

In the new bath, which has a northern exposure, that is where I'll have the african violets and the low light lovers.

Oh yeah, Idie2live, my grandma tied my lunch money in the corner of a hanky and then to my belt loops. I still put things in my bosoms....so to speak....even lost my car keys in there one day. :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

No dishwasher here either. I also enjoy washing dishes by hand. I have smaller sun flowers out our window right now for just a little longer. Frost will get them soon.

My wallet is also small. I have the cards and a little money and a small coin purse side to carry my keys and one tube of lipstick.

Chris

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shades, next year I'll have to send you some of my moon flower seeds. They are huge white night bloomers, related to the morning glory. And then some of my nasturtium seeds, they seem to make tons of seeds, and we have about a 200 foot long bed of nasturtiums up north. They love cooler weather, would not grow in Alabama for me, so I'm overdoing it a wee bit while I have the chance. They climb too.

Strange isn't it, that flower families have such different members too?.....just like human families.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH That would be wonderful ML. I love nasturtiums. Are moon flowers fragrant or just pretty? Thanks so much for the offer.

• xantippe
    13 years ago

We have no dishwasher, but not from choice. If/when we remodel our tiny 1920's kitchen, we will put one in, but for now, I am the dishwasher.

But if we did have one, it would be full of mugs. We use a ridiculous number of mugs per day (see the tea thread) and, for some reason I cannot fathom, a ridiculous number of teaspoons (which are not, by the way, used for tea).

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Flowerlady, you do have a pretty spot! Loretta, I am sorry you can't have your dish drawers. I wonder, though if you have a spot where you could do what we have done.

Raising up that DW makes all the difference in the world!

DH is our chief cook and bottle washer. I fill in when I am in the kitchen and have time and energy. My knees don't like to stand, my hands don't like to hold, and my fingers get hyper-extended when trying to hold a heavy item, so I do not make cleaning dishes a regular activity. Any way, DH rarely lets a day pass without thanking me for designing the kitchen so that the DW is raised about 15 - 16 inches off the floor.

My wallet is the opposite of Loretta's. It holds my money. Nothing ese. I got it in the little boy's section at Target. It is shaped like a real paper money wallet, but has a zippered compartment for change. My purse just got downsized. It has a side zippered opening for credit card slots and paper money. I keep my extra $ bills there if I don't want it all in my wallet. I keep credit and health insurance cards and those pesky cards that Loretta has, for big savings at two drug store chains, one for PetSmart, another for Pets Supplies Plus. The center portion of the purse has my asthma inhaler, a few things like lotion and dental floss, and room for my cell phone. My wallet fit nicely into the one flap pocket on the outside of my purse, so I can take it out and run into a store without everything else. I do have a new larger purse that I have not used yet. I got the small and the larger ones at Target when the dog ate my prior purse. I still have all the odds and ends I am famous for carrying with me i the old gnawed-on purse. I think I will do as Emagineer does, keep it in the car. To much to cart around.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Not much in my wallet, which is why there isn't much in my dishwasher. I need a new one. lol

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use a leather money clip/picture id/card holder for my basic shopping. I slip it into this small leather bag which can be a fanny pack I suppose, but I sling it carabiner fashion across my shoulder so it stays securely under my arm. I have a boat clip on my key ring so that I always can clip it to the purse. That key ring is where all the shopping cards (grocery, CVS, PetSmart, Booksamillion, Hallmark, library card) are hanging too. Inside the purse, one zipper has my checkbook and cash along with the money clip/credit cards/ID, another zipper which is roomier carries my cell phone and digital camera (just in case I see something worth snapping), then my comb and lipstick and my glucose tablets for emergencies, and then in the smallest compartment are my calling cards with all my information like email, phones, and addresses--saves a lot of time.

I went small with my purse because someone is always behind me in line and they are in a rush, not wanting to wait on a little ole lady to put her change or credit card back in its proper spot. I don't like to be casual with financial matters, so I simplified them. So far so good. I have both hands free to carry packages or push a cart, and never have to put my purse down on store counters....a sure way to have it stolen out from under you.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County