Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bzyathome

What's Your Weather Like?

bzyathome
17 years ago

I thought I'd start a thread on our weather.....

We are experiencing more moisture this summer than we've had in several years. There have actually been "flood warnings" throughout the ENTIRE state of New Mexico. This is unusual for us. I've lived here 32 years and have never really seen this happen. Every night on TV there are tickers running at the bottom of the screen warning of the flash flooding.

In my particular county, there has been less flooding than near the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area. Their drainage systems are not working very well so they're experiencing lots of problems. Here in Aztec, we are only having small problems but all the Arroyos are running pretty full.

On the UP side, the lawns and gardens in my area are doing well. Nothing is waterlogged yet!lol

Our downpour last week caused some of the sand/dirt in my yard to run downhill but it wasn't horrible or unfixable. I just really feel bad for the folks south of me having all the flooding and the mud is horrendous. So far so good for us and I'm so very Thankful!!!

And today....it's cloudy, drizzling off & on and very humid. As a Kansas kid, I hate the humidity and we NEVER have humidity for very long here and this time it seems like it's been humid for weeks on end. Yuck!! The old asthma has been acting up and my hair is sticking to my head and the skeeters are actually out & about during the day. Hate that!

So......how's your weather????

Marilyn in NM

Comments (12)

• ranaeluvstexas
    17 years ago

Well this is our first full summer in North Texas and as of about 10 days ago we had had over 30 days of 100+ temps... which is record setting for our area to have that many which has increased since then and all this week it's spose to be 103-105 so it's deffinitly a record setting year for us.
    It has rained 5 times at our house in the last year- also unusual... this is second year of drought worsened by no winter rains last year.
    Some communities have banned any outside watering- and people are turning in their neighbors to code enforcement.
    Our restrictions are 10am - 6pm only soaker hoses allowed.

All in all we love it- we like the heat and were well trained living in Oklahoma for 20 years so we are managing well but looking forward to the end of September when things will break around here.... hopefully.

next....

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Here in SC, we've had a string of days with mid to upper 90's (high humidity-heat index 100+) with scattered thunderstorms every afternoon, but that's our normal August weather. Overall, we're still at a deficit for rainfall, but not nearly as bad as it was last year. We seem to go from extremely dry to extremely wet with no midpoint. This weekend was wonderful however, even with the rain. The temps on Saturday stayed in the 60 - 70 degree range, with just a little higher on Sunday. This week the temps are climbing again, but hopefully won't get as bad as it was.

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

This past weekend was just gorgeous here in the Northeast (lower New York State). The temps hovered around 75-80, with little humidity. I actually feel and smell a difference in the air, and hear the different sounds of the upcoming change of seasons...some people look at me like I've lost my mind when I mention that, but I tell you, we're on the verge of our seasonal change. What a welcome relief!
    All you warm weather folks ~ you'd love it here during this past summer. I wish we welcomed the hot and humid weather, but neither of us can tolerate it for too long a stretch LOL. After what seems like a very long spell of mid to upper 90's and above, we've just about had our fill. I'm looking forward to autumn around here. The air gets crisp, the days are sunny but cool, apples are ready for picking, pies are in the oven and the aroma wafts through the house, a cup of tea in the early evening when it gets chilly, a walk through the woods, and I feel like I'm in heaven.

• ranaeluvstexas
    17 years ago

Mrs Marv your making me home sick- Rochester Finger Lakes Area :-)
    We went home for 10 days in Mid OCT about 4-5 years ago it was nice I was hoping for an experience such as you described but that year ya'll had an extended heat wave and the trees hadn't even begun to change :-( and it was in the high 80's lol ohh well it was still great to be home
    One of these times we'll time it right and get to experienc the fantastic NY Fall again.
    Enjoy Heavan this year and take lots of pics for me.
    RaNae

• angelcub
    17 years ago

We've been having cooler than average temps for a couple of weeks. We're barely in the 70s and even the inland areas of So.Ca. are below average. Very strange for Aug. I've been wearing socks and light weight pants in the mornings and evenings, plus closing windows at night. But it's great weather for working outside so I'm taking advantage of it and getting the vegie beds ready for fall seedlings. Afternoons you'll find me napping on the porch swing. Life is good!

Diana

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Mrsmary, Isn't it interesting how you can actually "smell" fall? It is the same here, or maybe just a few of us that feel the difference. Although, this isn't happening yet here.

Marilyn, The rain has let up, but getting more starting today and humidity sticking around. Jumping around from low 70s to low 90s....Very strange summer for CO and your location. Now I am beginning to wonder what winter has in store for us....could be deep in snow this year. When we went to the mountains (I-70 area), I was floored at the amount of dead trees from pine beetles. Most of my trips in the area have been in the winter and didn't realize the damage. Actuallly love snow, bring on whatever nature wants. Albuquerque has made a bit of a mess with their water diversions, the Rio Grande dammed which led to the cotton wood forests in sad shape. Wonder what the big houses along the river are experiencing with their rain. Or any houses, anywhere, as rain just isn't something planned for building.

Diana, my son is in LA for a month on business. He told me the weather was in the low 70s. I was raised in So CA, but we always joked that anyone could be the weather"woman", just say it would be in the 70s and you'd be 90% right. I do remember the visits back though and summer was darn hot with humidity compared to CO. Let's hope not a lot of rain this year for you or the slides in past.

Apparent that we are all getting odd weather, good or bad, seems to throw us off a tad for gardening and outdoor play.

Sandy

• bzyathome
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandy, just wanted to let you know that Hatch, NM and Socorro, NM were both completely flooded Tuesday night. We were watching the news and were shocked to see the images of water everywhere, especially here in NM. I was wondering if you got up to Breckenridge on your trip too. It's one of my favorite places. There's a little art gallery in an old Victorian house that is just awesome.

Diana, my brother-in-law just got back from Carlsbad and said it wasn't hot at all. He said it was just beautiful while they were there. We were planning an October trip out there, too, but DH doesn't really want to go too far with gas prices like they are now, so I think it's going to be on the back burner for awhile. We're seeing $3.15 at the pumps here in Oil&Gas Country. We actually have a gas refinery just 10 miles from our house. Scarey that we pay such high prices.

Mrsmarv, I'm smelling Fall, too. It seems like the air is just changing. I love Autumn and am actually going to go shop for a few mums today. I just can't stand not starting to get them put out around the porch and start decorating for Fall. I love the colors, the smell and the feel!

Marilyn in NM

• georich5
    17 years ago

Checkin' in from Ohio!!!

We finally got a break from the heat and rain. Yard no longer squishes when you walk through it and I don't have to wear my barn boots to the garden anymore. After a $140.OMG electric bill the AC is off and windows are open except last night when Pepe LePeux wandered by. Tomatoes are finally in and with the corn season in full bloom I'm in country heaven. Gas was $2.74 a gal. this morning so I'm afraid to blink or it'll go back up.
    Last night DH had coffee and Bailey's on the porch for me when I got home from work.

Loving this time of year, georgeanne

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Well, Ernesto is headed in our direction. Rain and winds are supposed to start tomorrow. He was a hurricane then went back to a tropical storm. He could break up over Cuba which would be nice. Or he could gather strength and become a hurricane again after going over the warmer waters. Only time will tell. He is not like Katrina, Ruby, Frances, Jeanne, or Wilma. Let's hope he just fizzles right on out heading back out to sea.

FlowerLady

• bzyathome
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FlowerLady, I'm hoping Ernesto fizzles out, too! Here in New Mexico, we've had rain and some drizzly days but for the past 3 days it's been fairly nice and lower temps making the sunny days very bearable. Fall is definitely in the air. We could smell wood smoke in the air while it drizzled for a few minutes Friday evening and it just cools off and feels so different than it did 2 weeks ago.
    I LOVE FALL!!!! I'm so ready for the Autumn colors and leaves falling and stew on the stove with fresh bread!
    Marilyn in NM

• angelcub
    17 years ago

I'm ready for fall, as well! We had a mini heat wave last week for a few days, then cool again, but warmed up yesterday to 90. We spent most of the day outside adding amendment to some new garden beds, and DH put in the sprinkler pipes, etc. to get them on with the rest of the system. Now I can start planting in a few weeks when it's cooler.

Today is warm again but the breeze and ceiling fans are keeping things bearable. My kitties are crashed on the wood floors. They look so funny all spread out like little fur rugs. : )

Here's hoping Ernesto is in drip dry condition when he finds Florida. Take care, (((Flowerlady)))!

Diana

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Good morning all ~ Ernesto is still heading in our direction and is a tropical storm so far. If it stays on the projected path we will be on the wet and windy side. Right now it is hot, breezy and clouds are starting to circulate. The rains are supposed to start this afternoon. I'm at work waiting on a huge crate to get here, and plan to leave before the weather gets too bad.

My stomach is a little in knots, just because of the hurricanes we've been through recently. This will be rain and more rain with some wind. They are predicting 5-8" of rain in a 24 hour period. I just want to get back home and hunker down.

Marilyn ~ I sure wish we would really have some fall weather. Down here where the tropics begin, we barely have a sign of autumn, as much stays green all year. I'd love to smell the burning wood scents and see the trees changing colors, etc. etc. Enjoy and think of me down here where it's hot and humid for much of the year. Do you use a bread machine? I really enjoy using mine. I don't have time to do it the good old-fashioned way.

Diana ~ Your kitties stretched out like little rugs sounds like a cute picture.

We've got to rig an above ground sprinkler system for our cottage gardens. We've been busy enclosing the pole barn and doing other things after Wilma's fury passed over us last year. Hopefully this fall/winter/spring we'll be able to get some other projects underway. There's always something to do that's for sure.

Happy Fall to all of you who are blessed with living where there are a change of seasons.

FlowerLady