Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

What would you call this 'stand' thing?

desertsteph
13 years ago

qvc used one to hang some little lip gloss thingys on - link below to see it. it's the video part and seen just seconds into the video.

I want some 'stands' like this to hang Christmas ornaments on since I don't plan to put up a tree anymore. I'm also on the look out for something to use in making a mobile to hang some ornaments on.

don't even know what they'd be called to search online for some.

thx!

Here is a link that might be useful: qvc video of 'stand'

Comments (10)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Try these links.

Here is a link that might be useful: ornament display stands

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh mama g - that is so obvious and I totally missed it...duh!

thank you so much - I found a bunch of them to go thru.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

LOL, steph, I wouldn't have known, either, but my brother and SIL gave me a fancy ornament and stand for Christmas a few years ago. We didn't have a tree last year, too many things going on, and didn't really miss it. That's a great solution for special ornaments.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Steph, look here, too. Jewelry display stands could work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire Mountain Gems

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Pier 1 has really cute ornament trees before Christmas. I use them for my really pretty ornaments.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nancy - gee, I get an email from them about every day too! lol! will check them out.

marti - thx for the pier 1 heads up also. we have one of those rather close. with Christmas stuff already in the stores I might stop in soon and see if they have them out yet. before they get picked over.

I do have a lot of special ornaments from yrs past I want to put a few stands in the rooms i use. that might mean I need about 6 of them. or more!

I don't mind ordering from Firemountain because I have before but otherwise it would be easier to get them locally.

I found some at Amazon also. I linked to a set of 2 that look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: stands

• User
    13 years ago

That is an old time German "feather tree" idea. It can be flat and multibranched like an espaliered pear tree on a fence, or it can be free standing and 3 dimensional. The concept has been around for years.

Think the old cup racks, my mother had one she got with a set of Maxwell House cups, and it sat for years on her kitchen counter beside the coffee pot.

You could even make one to hang from the ceiling like a mobile, especially if you had a collection of crystals to display. Think the bare bones of a baby crib mobile.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

moccasin - I remember those cups racks! and I've thought about mobiles also. I'll just have to figure out how to do it. maybe I'll look for a mobile at good will to use as a sample.

I have several wind chimes to put up and I thought I'd take a good look at them also. At Christmas I can switch my regular ones out for the ornament ones. I bought up a bunch of southwestern ornaments when they were half to 2/3's off after Christmas a few yrs in a row. I'll probably end up giving some to my sister - she was too sick to go with me at the time.

• User
    13 years ago

Steph, a lovely idea to make the mobiles with your southwestern ornaments.

Around here, a lot of folks collect driftwood, and then use tiny screw eyes and monofilament fishing line to hang their shells or other things from those. I am in love with Swarovski and Waterford crystals, their Christmas starts, and that is what I give my granddaughters and grandnieces as a present every Christmas. By the time they are grown, they will be able to decorate a small tree with their collections, I figure. But putting them on a mobile inside near an A/C vent will keep them moving.

I have three types of tuned musical windchimes that I've acquired over the years. The first one was made by Grace Note Chimes, then J. W. Stannard (also make musical instruments), and then Woodstock Chimes. Woodstock chimes had a screensaver program that I used for a long time, because the sound kept my house alive with intermittent tinkling and sounding of random notes. I think each of those folks maintains a website where you can listen to the sound of each of their chimes. Tuned chimes are wonderful.

I still have chimes located around myy house here, where their tones let me know what the breeze outside is doing. It makes me feel connected to my environment.

I had one huge chime I left up north in MA, but the strong winds there broke the cords holding it together. I have yet to mail it back to Grace Note Chimes to let them reassemble it for me. It sounds like church bells, so full, resonant, and mellow. I won't throw it away, it is gorgeous.

To get a start at building your own mobiles, instructions should be available in many places, plus check your local library.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grace Note Chimes

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have a lot of twigs on the land... I'll have to watch for a good shaped one to use for a mobile.

is the 'urn' part on that website something that is attached to the bottom of a chime? I'll have to spend more time on that site. I saved it.

church bells would be great. I still remember chimes from the church on the next corner a block from our house. every Sunday - I loved hearing them. maybe they were bells.

my chimes don't have a set sound - just a tingly sound. 1 I bought and 1 ds3 sent me. There's a partial wall at the front entrance with a cut out area in it - I plan to hang one there. not sure yet about the other one.

I'll check those things out - I'll see what I get thru google also.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations