Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

GW Galleries and Conversations and IVillage

User
13 years ago

I am totally confused by what I just saw and do not understand.

I went to the GW Galleries looking to find the spot that they put Idie2live's bedroom picture that they asked to use somewhere.

I entered search terms of Smaller Homes, thinking I'd get some stuff uploaded by smaller homes people. No results at all. Then I clicked on the bedroom gallery, and it was the same old 25 pictures I'd seen before. I also discovered that a link there took me to HGTV website. And I then discovered something which is iVillage forums, message boards, whatever. They appear to have community leaders who do the posting of discussion subjects, and then if you are interested you respond. ???? Am I not figuring out something which is simple?

I was checking to see how GardenWeb fits into the iVillage scheme of things. At the top of the page, where it says, "More iVillage" there are additional places affiliated with iVillage, and the last one listed is GardenWeb. I did not realize that iVillage has a big umbrella to cover so many spots. I still do not understand the nature of what they call the forums and the community leaders. There was no place to go to FAQ or ABOUT or anything other than JOIN.

If I don't know what it is I'm joining, how can I say yea or nay?

I'm asking for someone who knows these things to give me the benefit of their experience.

Well, I'll be back later, because I am going grocery shopping very soon. I have to be back in time to watch OBSESSION or whatever it is this season on A&E....about hoarding and obsessive-compulsives.

Comments (9)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Garden Web was bought by IVillage a couple of years ago. The other sites may be part of such also. I suspect HGTV owns IVillage. They have used a number of photos and stories from here. Nothing changed regarding the format of any of the sites forums you see listed. That is why it may be confusing, they were there before all became one.

How they work management wise and cost is not of interest unless they start charging us. I love that this is all free. GW has had a lot of computer problems, but always solved and alert us to it.

I don't think we have ever had a specific person assigned for monitoring a forum. My vision os GW is a group of people who go through posts and answer our email for whatever a concern may be.

As for searching, it is the worse. I stick to a specific forum and search for one or two words. On the net I found that small, little, cottage does work. There are few sites for smaller homes or just articles, but mostly the apt. thing or some oddity.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in and straighten me out or add some more info.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your observations, Emagineer.
    You were the one making a suggestion a while back about keeping a Gallery for Smaller Homes?

How do we go about creating it? I cannot figure out the way Galleries operates, when I go poking around over there.
    To create it, what do we do?

I can see that a lot of our photos would be easier to find there since the scrolling feature for long long posts on the discussion side is not very efficient at finding pictures the second time.

Maybe if we create it, they will come? And can we keep posting pictures to our discussions too? Best of all possible worlds, wouldn't you say?

• idie2live
    13 years ago

ML, I don't know how this site works, but GW is ownwd by iVillage, which is owned by NBC, which is owned by GE.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input, I have no idea about the way things work here. But, like they say, "follow the money" is always a good start at figuring things out.

It is truly amazing that things keep working with GW being such a distant outpost. It is very suitable that GE is the Wiz behind the box I think.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

ML I am clueless too on the workings of GW. As long as it keeps working I am happy. I do know it used to be if you mentioned HGTV you got sent to Disneyland and that was NOT fun.

Chris

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I did suggest a gallery for us. But it was a suggestion that we use the conversation side since it wasn't being used much. Otherwise, writing to the powers to be is needed. We can still use our conversation side and make sure a post is titled kitchens, a color, furniture, etc.

On the Home Decorating Forum they have a unique gal that posts most of the pics. She does a great job and enjoys hearing from those who have used her photos as inspiration. The one issue she may have is a lot of the photos are from magazines and not sure about copy rights.

We really only need to start posts on design subjects and insert our photos to get going. Before and afters would be great too. I sure have a lot of those.

And I also think it is fine to keep conversations going too and mix the two subjects. We are still a "small" group.

Lately the posts have become really long. We probably need to think beyond and post a new subject if a current title starts getting off original subject. Sometimes it is hard to be the one to make the first post, I know I'm always a bit hesitant....like the Ghost STories. Which were fun, but no one knows they are there unless reading "way" down.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

"I went to the GW Galleries looking to find the spot that they put Idie2live's bedroom picture that they asked to use somewhere. "

I did the same thing ML and couldnt find Idie's picture anywhere in their gallery over there. I think that area's a whole new section of ivillage - it doesn't seem related to the forums here.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

ML, Trance, they said they would email me when/if they use the photo. No word yet.

Emagineer, you are right, we could do before and afters over here in a seperate thread. I am going to post my living room when I get a chance. My kitchen is still on hold for the summer.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

ah ok thanks L! Let us know when and where so we can go have a look :)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm