Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelia00

Garage sales, yeah!!!

Pamela Church
17 years ago

Hubby and I decided to get up early and hit the yard sales today. We found aprox. 50 ft. of 1x12's for $5.00 (yippee, one step closer to my candlestick shelves!), a stained glass accent lamp that is perfect on my mantle for $1.50, and a really cool 1930's filing cabinet/drawer combo for $30. Who needs Walmart??!!

Comments (6)

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Wow, you got some bargains that's for sure. Garage/yard sales are lots of fun.

Enjoy your new finds.

FlowerLady

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

I love garage sales! Great finds by you!

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

My Aunt Inez furnished her entire beach house with garage/tag/flea market finds. And she found some of the best stuff ever. One of the best birthday presents she and my mom got me was a set of tin-lined copper cookware. They paid $25.00 for 3 frying pans, an au gratin pan, and 2 saucepans with lids (and were convinced that they could have gotten them for less, but didn't quibble because there was another lady eyeing them up LOL). I love them and use them to this day...and whenever I do, I think of both of them and remember how much fun they were.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Most of my house is garage sale/thrift store or side of the road finds. We also love antique malls but I'm fussy about the prices I will pay there.
    I have not been to a yard sale this year (OK, ONE. I went to ONE, a friends). I'm in withdrawl I think. Perhaps it's because a year ago hubby hit the motherload with a yard sale around the corner. For $100 he bought a box of our "good" dishware, a bucket chair that needs recovering but it's so cool, two bertoia chairs which are mesh chairs from the 50's (they were broken but BIL is welding them for us), a large box of vintage planters, dishes for a friends set that made a lovely Christmas present...and then when some things didn't sell the guy came down and just gave them to us (a few vases, some clothing for hubby...). Now I know a bunch of broken and battered chairs don't sound like much, but man, these things are really worth a lot of $$ now (that box of dishes we got was worth $150 alone!!) and I won't pay $$ for things when they can be found for .00 even if in disrepair.
    Another neighbour had a good sale last year and I bought some unusual pieces of aluminum ware, some great vintage brooches and the cutest dinner bell in the shape of a tulip pixie.
    The year before DH's great finds, our church had a bazaar and it was INCREDIBLE. So many beautiful 50's linens!

Church bazaars are the BEST. I miss them. Not many have bazaars anymore!

GGG

• Pamela Church
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GGG - Church sales are great! My last "steal" at a church (is that a sin? lol) was a very long school cubby shelf complete with hooks for the kids coats. Hubby thought it was too long to use whole and that he'd have to cut it, but it fit perfectly over our front window and is now home to some of my glass collection.

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

i've been yard saling for 25 years now and love the thrill of the hunt! sales are not as good as it was a few years ago, but then again, i'm running out of room to put my 'treasures'
    i always look for good scrap lumber at yard sales.