Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

New Living Room

Shades_of_idaho
12 years ago

Been really busy the last few days. We removed the carpet from the living room and installed matching vinyl. The vinyl matches kitchen dinning room and since all are open to each other it really looks larger now with the floors all the same. I was so tired of fighting the dirty carpet. We have to large house dogs and two inside kitties and we live rural.

So the flooring guy decided to come a day early, Friday instead of today. We had company that left at 5:30AM Thursday morning and I do not think I let his sheets even cool down before I was putting guest room back together to be able to move living room furniture into it. Sheese I should get a picture of how much I crammed into that tiny room. Even the living room couch is in there up on end.

I got most of the furniture out myself and had Joe help with a couple of things. We both worked on removing the old carpet and tack strips and gazillion staples in the pad. Cleaned it all up.Exhausted Thursday evening.

Yesterday morning while waiting for the floor guy to arrive I got a hair to paint the living room while every thing was out. OMG With no plans and 90 miles round trip to paint store,I grabbed all the partial cans of paint I had and started mixing them together. Heheheh I think I mixed my own version of Dried Hydrangea. It is a very light green. Reads almost white in bright light and more green in the evening.

This morning I finished the last living room wall then we went shopping for a couple of area rugs. I wanted an 8 by 10 but found two 6 by 8's so that will have to do. I did not want to pay much because they will just get ruined and when they do I do not want to feel bad tossing them out.

I put some pictures up at my flicker page. The floor guy said it would be best not to move the furniture back in for 48 hours. That is fine with me.

Today is #19 anniversary. We celebrated with store bought chicken, slaw ,french bread and beer. I am going to nap the rest of the day. I just can not do any more. I did get the lawn mowed before we ate our chicken. Let it rain. Supposed to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slow Progress

Comments (13)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It looks good. You have been so busy! Enjoy your nap.

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

We took out over half the carpet in this house, and went with ceramic tile. Much easier to clean, and the fur babies like it in the hot weather. Under the carpet was nasty! Our new place will be mostly wood floors with a few area rugs. I'm undecided on the kitchen yet.

Doesn't look like slow progress to me! These things always involve more than you think going in. Keep up the good work, and happy 19th!

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marti and Jay,

For awhile I was beginning to wonder if I had lost my mind to take on so much at one time. I am in the going back together stage and now I am so glad I did paint. The two area rugs I bought are a perfect fit. There is an area rug seam in the middle of the room and I have a trunk over part of it. It will be fine. Furniture is on both ends so it should all stay in place. If not then there are special rubber pads to use. I just use shelf liners and have a couple of rolls if needed.

I have the furniture back except for two small pieces. The room feels so much larger not being contained to the exact carpet areas. There was a large vinyl landing at the official front door. For us it is the court yard door. So now the couch can go back a few inches and makes it all look so much larger.

The hang up for us is the metal strip between dinning room and living room. He did not have one wide enough so we have another area rug covering that to keep it from getting tripped over. He is going to bring us one this week. WAHHH I will do what I can to put the dinning room back but this is the area rug for it. I keep telling myself I must be adaptable.

Side note. I found furniture foot pads. They were expensive for my pocket book at $2.15 per set of four. I was cringing to pay that. BUT they are better then I realized. they have a sticky tape to keep them on the furniture feet. They are meant to be left on. The furniture slides like a dream with them on. This will make cleaning easier. The down side it I really have to be careful sitting down onto my recliner as it wants to slide away.

OK I am going to feed us then back to work. My work time verses resting time is getting shorter. I am pretty done in. It will be worth it in the end.

OH Shoot I forgot to take a picture with all our living room furniture crammed into my tiny 9 by 13 sewing room that already had it's own furniture in it. Was a sight to see and NO I am not putting the stuff back in there for a picture any time soon.

• User
    12 years ago

Looking good in those pictures, Shades. I think I saw them on your album a week ago. But now the text makes sense of it all.

Love that you took the odds and ends of paint buckets and made your own Dried Hydrangea. Always good when you can get rid of more paint cans, they just wind up cluttering it all up, and the paint ruins before you find a use for it.

I usually do the painting here, because DH is the sloppiest painter ever. Only he did the priming of the Teahouse wood, sigh......I'll do the top coat in the fall, and the inside as well. We HAD to prime because those carpenter bees were drilling holes in the bare wood of the eaves.

Cannot wait to see the master bath mirror and tile work trimmed out. But don't rush. Just do it when you get around to it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ML. finally feeling rested after this fiasco. The floor guy is supposed to come tomorrow to add the final strip between floors and then we need to add the base board. THEN I can put all the little stuff back. I am kind of enjoying the peaceful look of minimal. I seriously might edit when putting things back.

Now we have lived with this almost two weeks we are sorry we did not do it from the beginning, For some reason we thought it would feel cold and drafty. I know it is warmer now. Still with the area rugs I think it will be fine. So much easier to clean.

I added side edges to the bath mirror project and hope to get pictures of that. Then to work on the top. Holding back as I am doing this on the fly and still need to figure how to deal with the light fixture in my way. I am not willing to change the fixture. I want to make it work. So do I go overboard with really wide top band and incorporate the whole fixture or go really narrow and go under the light? Hummmmmmmmmmm Either way I m still going to have a bit of an awkward edge. So I am fiddling with another project tonight while I continue to consider what to do.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Decided to cut up an older spread I was not using to make cushion covers for the love seat in our dinning room. They are made to slip off for easy washing. Was a fun project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couch cover

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And another addition to our dinning room. Neighbor gave me this small drop leaf table. Exactly what I needed in our dinning room space. I have it in the half set up position here. It will comfortable seat 4 people if needed.

I will be painting it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small gate leg table

• User
    12 years ago

Shades, the table is great. It is a perfect selection for a small home dining space, where a regular table would be in the way if left out all the time.

I noticed in one of your photos that you have long lace hanging as a layer on your curtains. I do like the effect.
    I have a huge bag of doilies crocheted back in the 1940s and maybe some in the 1930s too, done by my grandma and my mother and her sisters. Some very patriotic so I know they were WWII vintage. Round, rectangular, etc. And I've been thinking they would make a good window treatment if I slip sewed them loosely together to create a lacy effect.

My elderly neighbor is concerned that I have nothing covering the high-up clerestory windows in the master bath, and the next door neighbor still gets on his roof to blow leaves and stare into our garden....or maybe the bathroom too?......so this could be a solution. Putting some bias tape on the back to create a casing, thread them on a tension rod, and insert in the three window frames on that north facing wall. The direct sun would not hit them, the hand hemming would not harm them, and I would get to look at something old in my old-inspired bath. Thanks for the photo. This idea just hit me as I looked at your room.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it is a pretty ruff table. It is my kind of table. It really is perfect for the space and already I sat down at it to prepare mail before heading off to work this morning. I have been leaving the one leaf open with chairs tucked at an angle under it. Does not take up any more room then the two chairs with round table between them did. Just maybe I can tempt DH into breakfast at the table. I think I am dreaming on that one.

I am anxious to paint it.The weather is too unpredictable. Was sunny then pouring down rain this afternoon. Then sunny again and again poured down rain a few minutes ago. Anyway I really need to have many windows open when I use the primer. I believe painting it will also make the design of it stand out. It is a darling table.

Neighbor is having a huge yard sale next week and she has SO MANY wonderful things. I might have to just stay away I have no more room for anything. WWWAAAHHHHH Not willing to get shed of anything I already have.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

'The furniture slides like a dream with them on. This will make cleaning easier. The down side it I really have to be careful sitting down onto my recliner as it wants to slide away.'

what brand are they? i need to get some of those but there are so many options I look and walk away... I will have to be careful about putting them under things I sit on I guess!

The LR floor looks great! I plan to do the same thing - and put area rugs down. Then in a few yrs if they are nasty looking I'll just have them hauled off to the dump. No regular carpet for me anymore!

congrats on the anniversary!

can't believe how much work you do either. yikes, I'd want a nap just thinking of all of that to do.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi Steph,

I did not keep the package they came in. I will see if the store has more of them next time we get that way to get the name for you. The good part is they have sticky that keep them stuck to the bottom of the feet. The others I have used do slide out from under the feet when moving them across carpet.

I added description to the picture linked to so will not type it all out again here. This is what I have been working on for three days. Took kennels apart as they were and made them into a different shape.

Got rained out today . Need many more pavers to go all the way to the end. Will take several trips to town.

Here is a link that might be useful: New kitty kennels.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I wouldn't have kept it either... but I know if I go buy some, I'll pick out the ones that don't work - lol! I do want things like that on my furniture this time so I can slide things around a bit to clean behind them.

Do your kitties ever try to climb over the fence to run free? I sure hope not...

and I saw your lilac bush - I sure miss my lilac bush I had in IN!

AND when you click on 'preview' does the screen space turn a deep berry color? yikes, that hurt my eyeballs trying to read my own post...

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Been crazy around here and I have not been to the store where I got them. I bought the last four packages. Hope they got more in. The best part is they stick to the furniture feet so they stay on.

The kitty can not get out of the kennel because there is a full top on it.Chain link panel up there on both sides.

I brought those lilac bushes as starts from our last house. So glad I did. I can't wait for them to grow up tall. then I will have lots of privacy in the back yard. And maybe a little shade if they get tall enough.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone