Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Spring is so late this year...how about in your area?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

We had a cold winter and a very wet spring, so the daffodils and hyacinths are just now starting to bloom. That's about three weeks late, compared to most springs.

How about you...has the weather delayed your spring? Have you been able to get out and garden? What's blooming in your area?

It's been too wet to plant much of anything, but today is sunny and it's finally drying out...so I'm hoping to move some roses. Once I get that done, I can plant my veggie garden (I hope). I still need to get peas planted! :)

Comments (9)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Yes it is late here too. We have had so much wind. Finally got the weeds sprayed off yesterday. Raining this morning. The spring bulbs are just now blooming. Usually they are finishing in April. I am happy to see some flowers again. Finally. Winter is my favorite time so I am not complaining about late spring. DUCKING

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL! Don't worry, all the snow has finally melted, so no snowballs left to throw at you :)

I do like winter and snow, especially in December, January and even February...but not in April and May. This spring was so rainy, cold and even snowy that the daffodils are still blooming. The warm weather yesterday has gotten the lilacs leafing out a bit, but nothing much with the fruit trees so far.

It was really pretty yesterday, sunny and 70 degrees! Today is cool and rainy, but we're supposed to get more nice weather in the next few days...so maybe I'll have some time to at least get my peas planted. I'm so far behind this spring! I'll probably be planting beans right after the peas :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Yes we had sun yesterday too and no wind. I sprayed the weeds in the yard. Used the BIG tank on the side by side. Loving it. not really fond of spraying. there is no other way for me. Too many weeds to do by hand. My hands will not take it. Or my back. This year I MUST make this yard more manageable.

While hanging laundry this morning I saw lots of pretty bulbs blooming. Will try to get a picture.

The floor guy was supposed to come Saturday to put vinyl in our living room. Well I called him this morning just to be sure he was still on schedule and he has decided to come tomorrow. So I have a council meeting at three tomorrow and have had to up my plans to move out of living room to today. I am about half way there. Company left at 5:30 this morning. YIKES. Guest room is crammed. So back to work for me. Coffee is gone. Busy day.

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Spring was short here, and summer is early. It's been very hot- well above 'normal'. I've never figured out what they mean by normal or average temperatures- we are usually well over or under the so-called 'normal'. If you average the numbers out, it comes out about right, but it seems to rarely be at the actual number.

• User
    12 years ago

We've had NO RAIN for about two months now, very unusual. And we've had some nights in May which got down to 50 degrees, cooler than I can ever remember. The jasmine is still sparsely blooming, but it really put on a show for all of April and most of May. I cannot wait for it to cover that chain link fence across the back 100 feet of our lot. But for now, I'm deep watering plants on a rotating schedule. I hate to think of the water bill, even though we have an irrigation meter w/o the sewer treatment fees. But I'd rather pay the water costs than purchase new plants and put them in the ground. All the planting of this spring about KILLED me. However, I love the garden. More of my red patio stones (cement) are required to finish the Moon Walk, what I'm calling the garden path....because my little boy Maltese, Moon Pie, does not like to get his feet wet or on the grass. He loves the walk.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

And we are in big time rain tonight. Been pouring for a few hours. We did have a couple of nice days. I planted the veggies or most of them Was going to plant the seeds then heard of the storm coming and did not really want them to sit and rot in the cold for several days. Supposed to be wet and wild here through the weekend.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh well. We had our chance to get rain, but the other side of town got it. And there was a tornado warning again, but it got cancelled later on. Our siren down at the corner went off though. So I guess I go back to watering the plants again. Bummer.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Rained again last night. Good for the little plants I have transplanted. Still waiting on putting the rest of the veggies out. Today we have partial sun but the wind is awful. A good day to spend inside. I did get a pretty full day in the yard yesterday. 52 degrees right now.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

The Iris are finally Springing here.I uploaded some pictures to Flicker. With the cool and lots of rain they are huge and very vibrant this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 Iris and Spring Flowers