Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryinmd

HGTV Green Home

terryinmd
16 years ago

I can see a few things I would change, but overall I like the plan. One thing they aren't telling us yet is what the square footage is, or how big any on the rooms are.

I would turn the porch off the bedroom and living room into a greenhouse, and I would build a basement for the mechanicals in order to make the bedrooms and sitting area on the second floor bigger.

Do you like it" what would you change?

Comments (3)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Terry,
    The link below has all the pics of the GreenHome, first two are plans. It is 2,000 sq. ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Home plans

• bloobird
    15 years ago

It's a cute place, but other than the word "GREEN" used as a decorative accessory in a few rooms, and a couple of solar panels, I'm afraid I don't see what's supposed to be so green about it. There don't seem to be any captions for the photos, and I didn't see the show, so maybe someone who did can tell me what's going on.

Why are they claiming it'sgreen? Is it the top of the line "Energy Star" appliances? Was it built with 100% recycled materials? Does it set back far enough from the ocean that it isn't going to damage fragile coastal ecosystems, or be knocked flat by storms? Where is the clothesline? How do they heat it in the winter? Why aren't the windows designed to take advantage of natural breezes for cooling? I saw the drainpipe, is there a system in place to trap rainwater for reuse? Is all the grey water running into a septic,or is there a way to recycle it on the landscaping? Where are the trees to shade that roof? I realize they had to bulldoze the native pines to clear the lot, but where are their replacements? That spiffy lawn; is it native grass that won't require watering and mowing and fertilizing? Are those shrublets native, or just something on sale from the nearest Big Box store/sponsor? Will they be invasive, or require copious amounts of water to survive?

Not sure why there are so many pictures of a big @ss gas guzzling SUV; another sponsor, perhaps? But the golf cart was a nice touch. I've always said that we'll know the Government is really serious about saving oil when they start mandating that new road construction be designed with access for golf carts. ;^)

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I wish I knew why they called it green too. It might work in CA or FL, but I can't see it working anywhere there is really cold weather. At least that living room would be a big heat loss for the house with windows on 3 sides. Also, looking at it from a furniture placement angle, they didn't leave anywhere for the tv, and the only place for the sofa really is the middle of the room.

I guess I did see at least one green thing. Eliminating a solid concrete driveway allows more ground for rainwater absorbtion, and less run off.

But it seems wasteful to have the sitting area upstairs, although I know that is the norm in bigger houses today. The kids have their own living room so they don't have to spend time with parents.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County