Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

It's been one of those days

TxMarti
12 years ago

First of all, the ash plywood we ordered from the lumberyard came in. We paid premium price for domestic because they said the imported had a thin veneer. Well, this one has spots in it that have no veneer at all. And the lumberyard has a no returns policy.

Then dh came home after noon totally stressed because the big whigs at his company made some "simple" changes that will cause headaches for the next year and a lot of people will probably lose some of their best customers.

He needed a break so we took my little SUV to get the ash hardwood we need. It was rainy and cloudy and we didn't want to risk the wood getting wet in the pickup.

Then we got a call that his dad had a stroke at the nursing home and they haven't been able to rouse him. They waited all day before calling in the doctor. He'll be there in the morning.

Then we found that our septic tank is full. Thought it was the pump, but it's just full and needs to be emptied tomorrow. Meanwhile, dd had offered our house to two friends who are spending the weekend here to go to a concert. They were supposed to come tonight but I told her to call and tell them not to come until tomorrow.

What next?

The good news is that I put the last coat of finish on the cabinets this afternoon. At least I hope it's the last. I hope I like the way it looks tomorrow. Right now I'm not thrilled.

Comments (6)

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Wow! That's a rough patch for sure! You have my sympathy and wishes for a less-stressful tomorrow.

Sorry, but the lumber yard has to take back defective goods, or I don't pay for them. Returns are one thing; defective is quite another.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Today has gotten better, and worse.

Because of the recent rain, septic companies are really busy and I couldn't get anyone to come until Monday. Then I got a call from one I had left a message and they said they could this afternoon. So I got that done.

Dr came to see fil and dh, bil & mil were there. He said he didn't think fil would come out of this and called in hospice.

Because of the septic stuff, I told dd to either tell her friends to make other arrangements or not come. And now with fil, dh couldn't handle a bunch of groupies coming and going at all hours.

I don't know how long fil has. Dr said there is only a slight chance he could wake up.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think we should go out and buy one of those lottery tickets. Just got a call from dh and fil is waking up. The hospice nurse was checking his vitals and moving him around and he opened his eyes. She started jostling him and calling his name and he answered. Then said he was thirsty. Dh asked him if he wanted his dentures and he opened his mouth. So his mind is working. The nurses are in shock. I think mil is in shock too.

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Well, that certainly is great news! Hope he continues to recover.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do too. I asked dh what mil's reaction was and he said he thought she was a little let down. She had steeled herself for the worst and his waking up caught her by surprise. I know the whole thing has taken a toll on her too. She has said before that she hates to see him like this and that it is really not a life that he has now, just an existence. He is fairly miserable at the nursing home and I wish there was another option.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

marti, I'm so sorry--I had no idea your family was going through this. I hope your FIL continues to improve. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz