Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About my sweet bird who died

Posted by junkyardgirl (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 07 at 20:56

Her name was Cricket, because when she was tiny (and I do mean tiny), she chirped like a cricket when she ate. I hand raised her from when she was less than a week old. Her parents were trying to kill her, because she was deformed. Her neck was twisted. I didn't know if she would life, but she did, and grew to be a beautiful white cockatiel. She was so very loving, and gave me kisses all the time. She loved sitting on my chest and being petted.

I think a rat got into the aviary and scared her, and she broke her neck. I found feathers that attest to that, and I saw the rat last night. I brought the other birds inside last night, and I'm bringing them in tonight, and tomorrow I'll put out rat bait. The citrus rats here are horrid!

I found her dead on the floor yesterday morning, and buried her next to her mother, right outside the screen porch, where the other birds could watch me. I cried and cried.

I'm thinking of giving the birds away. The aviary is in need of repair, and I don't have enough time for them. I'd love it if they all had good homes with people who could pay them more attention.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About my sweet bird who died

Jyg, I am so very sad about your gorgeous friend! If you decide to give the remaining birds away, could you perhaps donate them to a nursing home or the library? I am sure there are people who would fix the aviary and take good care of the birds. That way, you could still visit them!

o

K-J, what a sweat suggestion. I would never have thought about something that creative. You are right - she would be able to continue visiting and caring for her friends. You always have such great ideas!!

I hope this gives you some peace...

gng

o

I'll look into that, Kay. Thanks for the suggestion. The rehab where my mother was had an aviary. It was glass, and it had finches in it, some really pretty ones! The patients loved to go down and watch them.

o

Yes, lots of nursing homes have those glassed-in aviaries - there is a company that goes from home to home and maintains them.

o

How wonderful! I'm definitely gonna look into that, because they would love all that attention.

o

Well JYG, I just lost my yellow cockatiel! Sunny did not die, she flew away today! I have 3 zebra finches (last week 1 of 4 died), and 2 society finches, and had the one cockatiel. Anyway, their cages (3) are in my laundry room, and I went out back and left the door open as I do lots of times when I am either turning on the sprinklers or taking out trash. I was getting the water-hose to water my plumeria and saw "a yellow cockatiel" around the pool area. First thing I thought was that Sunny would have a friend if I caught this cockatiel, but then I decided to look in her cage. She was gone, and I have no clue how she got out because the cage was locked. She has a large rod iron cage that I've wheeled outdoors many times to give her fresh air. She must have squeezed through one of the bars. I went to get the pool leaf-netter to try to catch her with it, but accidently banged against the wall and it scared her away. She flew out of my sight. I keep looking out back to see if she comes back, but it might not happen as she was always in the cage and might not know where her home is :-( Eloise

o

Eloise, take her cage OUTSIDE and she might return to it when it's roosting time!!!! She recognizes her cage as 'home' and a safe place to be.

o

So sorry Eloise - hope she comes home soon. Maybe K-Js suggestion just might work. I've never had a bird - guess they make me kind of nervous. But when I was looking for a new house, the owner of one of the homes I looked into had one. The house was so neat and clean, as well as the birdcage. I played with the bird some and it turned out to be pretty fun. Don't think I would ever have one of my own because I'd be afraid it would fly away and I don't have the patience to take care of it. Now, a dog - that's another story; in a heartbeat!

Best of luck!!

gng

o

Oh, Eloise! If you can, walk around the neighborhood calling her. They usually don't fly too far at first. I had one who escaped twice, and the second time, we couldn't find her. The first time, we found her walking through tall grass in the neighbor's yard.

And yes, do put her cage outside and see if she comes home, but in the meantime, please post flyers so people will know who she belongs to.

o

Eloise, I just found this posted on another site:

When you best feathered friend escapes, you need to go out and search immediately. There is still a chance of you retrieving your bird if it has not gotten too far away.

Look in the trees right above you. Your bird may light there and never make a sound, out of fear, to let you know it is up right above you. If your bird is indeed in the tree, talk to it calmly, get a ladder and slowly go up it without startling your bird further. If you do not have the means of a ladder, most fire departments will help out in retrieving your pet.

Put the bird's cage outside in plain view with food, and leave it there until your bird is found.

Throw birdseeds or pellets on top of your roof, car or any other place that is clearly visible. Your bird could land there, see you and fly back to you.

Take the cassette recordings that you made to various spots in your neighborhood. If possible ask some of your neighbors to help you play the recordings.

Now, if you cannot locate your bird at all, put up signs/posters around the neighborhood, grocery stores, schools, libraries and any other public place that allows you to hang your signs/posters.

Pet stores, and vets are also a good place to hang your signs/posters. Usually, that is the first place someone would call if they locate a missing bird.

If you are going to write out your signs/posters, write legibly, listing the birds name, what type, age, special markings, last seen, if you offer a reward include that too and your phone number/email.

Put ads in the newspaper, giving a complete detailed description of your bird. Include the name of your bird and any phrases or songs it may know. That goes for the above paragraph also.

You may want to knock on some neighbors' doors to inform them of your beloved missing bird and for them to keep an eye out. For you tamed parrot owners, your bird will probably go to a human being when it gets hungry enough. That is why you need to inform your neighbors just in case your bird presents itself.

You can go as far as getting the neighborhood kids involved. Offer them a reward if they can locate your bird. Inform the kids not to catch the bird with their own hands, but to have a pillowcase to throw over the bird and then call an adult.

The best time to look for your bird, particularly cockatiels, is before sunrise and at dusk. That is when they are most active and searching for food.

Register your bird on the "Lost and Found Bird Hotlines."

911 Parrot Alert
Planned Parrothood
Lost & Found
Mickaboo Cockatiel Rescue
Birds N Ways
Bird Hobbyist
For Your Bird

o

Eloise, have you had any luck finding your bird?

o

jyg, sorry for taking over your post, but I felt it appropriate to list about my lost bird. I was right in assuming that because look at all the great response.

Thanks all for all this great info. I did put the cage out as Jo suggested yesterday. I hadn't thought about putting up posters but I will print some out today and go around. I have looked up at the citrus trees and also by my chicken coop because I figured if she got hungry, she could always eat some of the grains the chickens have, but nothing yet. Yesterday was extremely windy and I hope that didn't make her fly further away.

gng, a dog, huh! When my dd and grandkids lived with me, I bought them a cockerspaniel puppy, Patootie. To these day, Patootie will run away if she gets a chance, and no she is not mistreated.

Wow Jo, you are a bank of information! It's great being able to post and get such great input.

Will keep you all posted. Eloise

o

Eloise, you aren't the first person to tell me I am 'full of it'!

o

You are funny Jo!

Nothing to report on my lost bird :-(. I was gone most of the day yesterday shopping with my granddaughter (really got my exercise), but have the cage door open with food and water inside in case Sunny comes back.

Eloise

o

What a shame Eloise. I just logged on to see if you had good news. Still hoping it all works out.

gng

o

I'm still praying for your bird's safe return.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here