SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gneegirl

Good for the Soul

gneegirl
16 years ago

Hi all...

I've been recently thinking a lot about being home alone. I know that some of you are a little older than I am, but I've already gotten "over the hill", if you will, a good number of years ago. But I wonder about your thoughts on being home alone when something goes wrong.

Last year was a real eye-opener for me when I injured my shoulder very badly. It really took about 6 longs months for me to be albe to some of the little things. It has been almost a year now and I really count my blessings for being able to just put decorations on my tree. Now, I'm sitting in my house, alone, with a bummed knee that pretty much has me down for the count. So today, I'm really not a happy camper - especially when I could be using my days off to do something I want to do!! I finally got up to fix something to eat and kept looking for something comforting. I ended up making turkey and rice soup!!! Boy does it feel good - for the growls and my soul. What do you do?

gng

Comments (25)

• kayjones
    16 years ago

I am 57 - is that old? LOL

When I am alone in my house (I have a 17-yr. old son still at home), I play on the computer, phone a friend or two, soak in a bubble bath, walk the dog - heck, whatever I WANT to do!

I haven't been infirmed recently, so can't speak to that - but if I were, I love to read, so would catch up on that. There is always something on the idiot box like the history or travel channel or animal planet.

I can always surf the web - so much to learn on here! I work crossword puzzles and such as that. I am rarely at a loss for something to do!

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks K-J!! Guess I'm just getting bored with all of that. But that's probably only because I know I can't just get up and kick my heals right now. Plus, it hurts a lot. Guess that's why the turkey soup felt so good.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: thank you to members for

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello like to thank all members in Canada and US. taken time to trade and make new garden friends here.always take time to answer people.even if do not trade.does not cost anything to show caring and as most gardeners are filled with joy of peace all year long.gardening is good for our souls and minds.sprits.may all my new and older friends.have good new year.2008 To anyone who has yet traded with me looking forward to meeting you this coming year,all the best in seed growing may it be one of your best garden years so far. newwilly46
    ...See More

Another FUNNY thread from the archives

Q

Comments (2)
    I remember reading that...but it's still just as funny.... I am completely surprised that I didn't find a post from me on there...My DH has done a few things during our 42 years that I tell on him every now and then. patti
    ...See More

Confessions aren't always good for the soul :-)

Q

Comments (11)
    Lessons learned : Never make important decisions impulsively or in anger! Handle all important conversations in person! And number 1! TURN OFF AUTOCORRECT!
    ...See More

Complete IKEA Kitchen Renovation Before & After

Q

Comments (54)
    @sushipup1 - yep! do you have an email address? I'll send you his contact info. I don't think he's on houzz, otherwise I'd just link his profile. @The Patchman Roofing Company- Thank you so much! @Oliviag- Thank you! Honestly, for the amount of time it took, I have absolutely no complaints. From demo to done, I think all in we were about four weeks and change, including waiting for countertop fabrication. It's hard remembering there was ever a different kitchen, honestly. It's so perfect for our aesthetic and our house - it was absolutely worth it!
    ...See More
  • Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I'd probably be doing something similar to what Jo suggested. I don't wish forced days off on anyone, but as long as it isn't a longterm injury, I feel I'd appreciate any cold days off that I can get. I hope you get well soon lady!

• gabrielesgarden
    16 years ago

i know what you mean. I have an elbow that i'm contemplating getting surgery on at some point because the cortisone shots just arent working anymore. I dont need it now but will at some point and wen I do, I'll be down for a couple weeks. What will I do? who will help me while i'm healing? And that surgery would be my choice, but what if something beyond my control happens. That is the scary part of being alone and growing older, but then you never really know what life will bring you even if you weren't alone.

even being healthy and active, during this time of year i get bored with it all. it's cold and dark, no cable, want to conserve on energy so I wont heat my whole house, feel confined in one room and cold in the others....my choice I suppose, but that's another part of being alone, you ave to pay your bills alone too!

• pris
    16 years ago

I've been "home alone" since 1996. I don't think about it anymore. Initially my one concern was having someone walk up to the house without warning. I guess I need to explain that. I don't live in town and where I live is close to the border. We had illegals coming through all the time asking for food. This didn't bother me when I was married but did when I was alone. My answer was to make sure I had dogs around at all times. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have a dog that would bite anyone but I do want one that will tell me when a stranger approaches. Gives me time to be prepared for anything. What I've discovered is that no one approaches unannounced because they don't know that the dogs wont' bite.

But, like you, after my fall, I've been thinking of what I would do if that happened and I "couldn't get up." I don't have a solution yet, so let me know what you guys come up with.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Almost every community has programs, through churches, community volunteers or through the Division of Senior Services, to provide assistance to those who are home-bound.

Talk to the social worker at your local hospital and get the companionship and assistance you need. Medicare, Medicaid and most insurances will pay if there is a charge, but most of the time, there is no cost.

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, all good thoughts, guys!! Someone asked me how I was going to get around. If there is no one around, one becomes a pretty crative soul. This knee thing wasn't nearly as bad as the shoulder last year!! Now that was something - I knew I should have had someone call for ER help, and maybe if I had, I wouldn't have had so much trouble with my recovery. But all I kept thinking about was that I was 60 miles from home and if I landed in the hospital for surgery, it wouldn't have been a good thing. I drove all the way home and just kept screaming every once in a while to dull the pain I guess. I still don't believe how I got home, but somehow, home sounded pretty good at the time. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Besides, the thought of that commerical - "I've fallen and can't get up" was just too humiliating at the time! Good for a laugh or two now though.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Talk about something that warms the soul - I made some tortilla soup last night - it is AMAZING!

We just had a little ice storm pass through our town, and I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't get outdoors.

I decided I was hungry (it was really boredom), so heated up some soup, heated some garlic bread and - OH, MY! I highly recommend it.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Here's my recipe - OH SO EASY!

Jo's Almost Homemade Tortilla Soup

1 big can of Progresso Tortilla soup
    1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 can chili-ready tomatoes (Rotel)
    1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use Progresso canned chicken-noodle soup)
    1 large baking potato, cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 can any type of beans (I use chili beans)
    Salt and pepper to taste (add seasonings afterwards)

Combine all the ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes (stir often), until potatoes are soft.

This soup will warm your heart and soul and is even better the next day!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I'll have to try that, Jo...taking it easy today...pre Super Bowl snack, I sauteed shrimp in olive oil and red wine vinegar and topped with cayanne pepper. Might skip cooking tonight and order a pizza and hot wings around half time.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

It sounds like you have a plan, Michael!

I tried to call you again last night - I will give up now, LOL!

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jo, thanks for the recipe - it sounds so heartwarming. Besides, i LOVE tortilla soup!! I know about the boredom. But I had a pretty good day today though. I had to stop in to work for a couple of hours but all-in-all, I feel pretty satisfied (for a change). I guess now that I don't have to make so many decisions RE the kitchen, it's pretty quiet and I'm not anxious about anything (except the bills that will now start rolling in from the kitchen redo). Now I have to figure out what to do without football until August!

Michael, the next time you do shrimp, put some on ice and send it my way!! That sounds like a good appetizer before Jo's soup.

• pris
    16 years ago

Hi All,

Things here on the job are almost back to normal. I've taken a moment here and there to read up on the happenings here but not much time to post.

Mary, I am SO jealous. Your kitchen is fantastic. You can be so proud of what you've accomplished.

As to the current question. I had a co-worker ask me just last Friday what I did all weekend. My answer was - Anything I want to do. But seriously, I pretty much do what KJ does. I used to work in the yard a lot but since knee surgery getting up and down is a chore. I've had to settle for the less strenous type of activities.

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey there pris - missed you!! Thanks for the compliment on my ktichen. I know what you mean about not being able to do as much in the yard. My body won't allow it anymore - shucks. When I can though, it's so relaxing and it feels good to see the progress. I have someone cutting the grass now because I can't get to it regularly. It's less strenguous to sit back and watch his great work from my patio - LOL...

gng

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Mary, please tell me your yard man is young, built for speed, and appreciates mature women!!! If so, I'll come sit with you and watch him work, too!! ROFLMAO!!! Can you say 'hoonie-hoonie man'?!

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not on your life Jo! He is FAR from that. I did work for a landscaping company for 5 yrs. Now the owner of that compnay was what you want!! Ninety year old women would flirt with him. Now that's funny to watch!!

• pris
    16 years ago

Hmmm----Yard "man". I was thinking yard "kid" but your way sounds much better. I wonder how much interviewing you have to do to get one easy on the eyes??? I'm thinking around 25 - 30, washboard abs. What can you add to the description??? (kinda like grabbing a tiger by the tail. What do you do with it once you get it?)

• kayjones
    16 years ago

No, I wouldn't want a 30-yr. old - I want one about 45 - one who isn't still chasing another animal's tail every waking moment, but has his priorities straight - one who will make sure MY YARD is well-cared-for before he goes over to 'do' the neighbor's!

I have no question what I will 'do' with it if I get it - he's the one who needs to worry. If I need a reference, I can provide one! LOL

• jeaninwa
    16 years ago

Woo Hoo!!! YOU GO GIRL!!
    LoL

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

I was home alone when I broke my arm a few years ago. Luckily, I had a BF a phone call away, so he was able to come take me to the hospital. I was afraid, because I could feel myself going into shock and was trying to stay conscious. I am facing now having another surgery, and not having anyone to take care of me. I'm not one to ask for help, even though I have friends and neighbors who would help me gladly. I know I'll be needing some help for a few days, so I'm going to ask a neighbor, but it does frighten me that something will happen when I'm alone.

Makes me want to go out and get one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" buttons.

I had a cousin whose MIL fell onto the floor furnace, and couldn't get up, and died there. I think it must have been a horrible death.

So yes, it frightens me now to be alone, even though if I had had a problem when my son was very small (and I was living alone with him), I don't see how he could have helped. Somehow, I wasn't afraid then, I guess because I talked to or saw my parents every day, so if I didn't get in touch, I knew they would be over to check.

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey JYG - I posted on your thread. You may want to start lining up help now - friends, neighbors, church, job friends. They may not be able to do everything, but one may be able to do one thing while another something else.

In the situation with your son, remember, you were playing the caretaker/nurturer role, and probably didn't even think about yourself.

Sending hugs!

MICHAEL - OK, glad I didn't have that cup of coffee in my hand when I read your post!! BUT, last I looked in the mirror, I don't look like that!! Good joke Kid!!

gng

• kayjones
    16 years ago

JYG, when one gets over the age of 50, it's a good idea to have someone you talk to every day. Make sure one of you calls the other every day, so that if one of you calls and can't reach the other, the other will know that something is wrong, and can call the appropriate person.

• gneegirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good point Jo!

• kayjones
    16 years ago

I implemented this plan where I work: I have 55 elderly residents and they are on the 'Buddy' system, whereby two people team up and check on the well-being of each other. The two are usually in adjoining apartments. With this plan, if someone falls, they can knock on their wall and the neighbor can go help or call 911.

If one team member doesn't get a response to a phone call or a knock on the door, that person will go get management, who will check on that person.

On December 24, 2007, our facility had a routine fire drill. One of our residents didn't come out for the fire drill, and her 'Buddy' couldn't get a response from her apartment. Management went in and found her dead, of a heart attack - she was wedged between the couch and her coffee table - had probably been dead about an hour.

It is especially important, when going outside your home, to let someone know your plans - we read in the papers all the time, about some older person 'missing' - no one knew where to start looking, and by the time they were found, it was too late.

It's OK to let people 'up in your business' when you get past 50 - it could save your life!

DON'T FORGET to give YOUR EMERGENCY CONTACT your Buddy's name and phone number - VERY IMPORTANT if you can't be reached!!!!

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus