Return to the Single Life Forum

o
Coffee Shop V - not just for coffee drinkers!

Posted by kayjones (plant_lady2@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Dec 8, 07 at 16:29

We came from here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/singles/msg092104213113.html?99

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Shop V - not just for coffee drinkers!

Well, today is a bust - it's icy and nasty outdoors - can't even walk the dog. I just don't see what purpose this weather serves - I guess mother nature figures the auto body shops need to make a bit of money, too.

I do have a solution to this issue - let's start a cult and all move to a warm climate!

o

Yes, everyone could go down to Miami and overwinter with Barbara!

No complaints here about icy weather though, since winters are pretty mild in southeastern South Carolina.

Thanks, K.J., for starting Coffee Shop V. CS threads have always been a great place for musings and mind rambles - no particular subject matter.

Can't believe how the SL forum has come to life - all you young folks seem so full of energy. Great party last night. Keep it up!

I began some Christmas baking today. Have to get a goody box ready to mail to California to DD and SIL. It's the first year they have been too far away to join family in the holiday festivities, so I at least want them to have some home made goodies to sustain them.

o

You are welcome.

We aren't 'celebrating' this year - just no heart in either of us to do so, since Gary died. I do, however, wish each of you fullfillment in your life.

I went out and bought each of us (me and my stepson) a laptop computer for his Christmas and graduation, and for me because I'm a good Mom!

o

Thanks Jo!

Where is everyone-probably out Christmas Shopping,or at a Christmas Party. I'll be doing that next week - if I can find something to wear. It's been so long since I did something like that...

Eloise - I may just be getting the camera you purchased for your DD. Ive bugged Michael to death about his because QVC was selling the same camera. He tipped me about the place where he purchased his camera and I've spent a lot of time just looking at the selection - pretty good and also I really liked the prices. I'm going to give it until tomorrow to decide. But I really like both his and the one you purchased - tough decision.

Take care all - hope your day was a good one.

gng

o

Nice job Jo...I posted on the other one just to see if it would go over 100....don't think it would do that in the old days. I had to take a nap since you people "forced" me to stay up so late last night... ;) Got my second wind, walked on semi icy streets up to the tavern and shot a few games of pool. Got home without falling on my butt so it was a good night. gng, I did add one last pic to your camera thread. That's from my old camera. It would print 8x10 picture quality photos. Something like that is probably all you need. I just like new toys.

o

Good morning all. IT's bright and sunny here in Tampa (just north of Tampa actually). We've been unseasonably warm - over 80 yesterday.

Sorry I missed your party last night! I was too pooped! I was up at 6 am and didn't stop till 10 pm last night. My brother and his wife and a Christmas party for 60 people and my job was to vacate the other out of there! I picked up my mother and took her to a hair appointment. Dropped her off at my apartment. Then back over to my brothers to get his cat and two youngest sons, litter box too. Then Mom, Adam, Nick and I went to the grand opening of my church's new building and finished the afternoon with a fresh air concert by recording artist Leonardo.

Then back to my apartment where I made my mother's potato soup. Swimming for the boys (heated pool) and back here again for pie and hot tea.

Today will be busy too. A few hours to myself this morning (I have to color my hair!), then a Florida Orchestra concert at 2 pm in St. Petersburg, and dinner at my girlfriends. At 8:30, I'm taking Callie to the mall to get our picture taken as a Christmas gift to my mom and then one alone of me for Rich.

Here's hoping the dog won't be too spooked!

Have a great Sunday,
Barbara

o

Good morning, all - it's icy and nasty here this morning. I don't like being forced to stay indoors, but at the risk of breaking the 'bank', I will stay indoors! LOL Is it too early to start joking around and laughing - hope not.

That's it - let's post our funniest jokes - as many as you like - laughing makes life easier and longer!!!!

I WILL START A NEW THREAD FOR JOKES.

o

Greetings all,

Thanks Jo for starting CS V. They do tend to get long, but that is good! I think this got Gerry to post again, yeah!!! Now, where is Gene?

Jo, I hope some of the Christmas spirit rubs on you! You are such a great mom to take care of your s-son! Laptops are neat!

Gerry, I can smell the baking of your cookies! Your DD and SIL will be thrilled to receive them, and am sure they will be a bit home-sick. For some reason, I got a craving for persimmons so I bought some and baked some persimmon cookies -- they are good! I took some to my DD's home and I froze some in small plastic bags so I won't eat them all at once, lol!

Michael and gng, I posted on your other tread about cameras. Gng, we await your photo!

Yes, let's all go to Barbara's! Wow, you sure were busy yesterday.

I accomplished a lot myself yesterday as far as Christmas shopping and grocery shopping. Bought two coffee mugs that have my grandkids pictures on them. One for my DD that says 'World's Greatest Mom' (she really is!), the other says 'Daddy's Pride and Joy'. Also finished pretty much all my Christmas shopping, now I just need to mail out a couple of packages tomorrow. Also bought a bottle of wine (for the hostess) and a $10 Starbuck gift card (exhcange) for a Christmas party today at 5 PM. I taped the gift card in a large box and decorated it very pretty. Seemed like it would be more fun to walk in with a nice box instead of a small envelope! Last night I was trying to sort out all the gift receipts to go with the various gifts I bought -- what a pain in the butt! At least Macy's put a 'Customer Return Label' sticker on the tags so I didn't need a gift receipt to keep track of. I didn't get my tree because it started to rain hard and I didn't want to deal with bringing home a wet tree and trying to get it off the top of my suv. Hopefully, I can get it today.

Later all, have to get ready for 9 AM church! Eloise

o

Eloise, if those picture cups are the ones I am familiar with, I am sure you know those cups need to be for display only - water will ruin the picture.

I learned this the hard way - ruined a cup and a flower pot by 'washing' them. I guess it's ok if you 'swish' them, but regular washing ruined mine.

As for getting the Christmas spirit, I have never really been that excited about it - it's too commercialized and I have always had the duties of putting up the deco and taking it down and cleaning it up for months after the holiday. Also, with Gary gone, there isn't a lot of incentive, and Joseph could care less - he doesn't care WHEN I spend money on him, only that I DO IT!

o

Hi! If any of you in those cold regions have started packing to head to Barbara's for overwintering,,,,,She lives in Tampa - not Miami!! Sorry, my bad. Barbara - do you have room in your back yard for a few pup tents?

o

Another cold, dark and dank day here...I may go out and get that pup tent this afternoon gerry...had a skiff of snow to set on top of the ice. Looks like a good day to stay in and watch football.

o

Michael - Cold, dark and dank days can be wonderful, too. If you have a fireplace, build a fire. Light a few candles, softly play whatever type music you like, nap in your chair - or on the couch, watch some football, have some of that stuff you drink on Friday nights! Tomorrow the sun will shine.

eloise, DD called this afternoon. She doesn't seem to have hit a point where she's becoming homesick. She and her husband, and several other residents and their wives/husbands or SO's who have no family anywhere near have sorta banded together. They have a poker night one night a month, at Thanksgiving everybody cooked something and they all ate at one couple's home and are planning to do the same for Christmas. Rachel says she has decorated the palm trees and other trees/bushes in her yard, the house eaves, etc with the little white lights. They had to buy lights as they left all their Christmas decorations here. They have their tree up but so far no decorations on it - just lights. I so hope she stays in the spirit and continues to enjoy this life experience. They, too, are doing the no gifting thing this year, but do plan to host a drop-in on the 15th.

Barbara, I'd like your recipe for potato soup if you have one. I usually just throw in whatever I might have on hand and can never make it come out tasting anywhere near like my mother's did. I know there's a million recipes for potato soup, but there must be a secret ingredient in the basic recipe I don't know about.

KJ, after reading over some past posts, I realized your situation, the fairly recent loss of your husband, trying to finish raising your step-son. I know none of this is easy for you, yet you still seem to have a handle on life. You are to be admired for that.

The weather here has been exceptionally warm today, upper 70's.

o

Gerry, yes - I lost my husband to pancreatic cancer on April 17 of this year. It was the most horrific thing I have every experienced! I am made strong because friends (like you) have been here to support me emotionally - it was a huge loss for our family.

Where is your daughter living, that she has palm trees? You may have posted that bit of information, but I guess I missed it - sorry. Jo

o

Hi everyone from SW Florida. I'm new to this forum, but not THS. Been hanging around here off and on for years now.

Anyway, I can't complain about the weather here, so I won't make those of you who are in snow and ice sad. You're all invited to come visit next year during the summer, so you'll all appreciate not having to live through Florida summers every year!

o

Welcome to the Singles forum. As you can see, it is a slow forum, but when there is a frenzy of posting, we have fun! I hope you will come back often and contribute whatever you like.

o

Jo - My daughter lives near Sacramento, CA, in the town of Davis. They moved out there in July of this year so her husband can do a 3 year residency at the Univ. of Calif at Davis. He is specializing in Neurology at the Veterinary Hospital there.

Junkyardgirl - You have email

o

Greetings all,

Jo, not sure if they are the same cups. We have cups with the picture of my first two grandkids for over 10 years and they are still fine. I take whatever pix I want on a cd and they put it in their computer to retrieve the imagine and then put it on the cup, t-shirt, or whatever else. They use heat to put it on because when I picked up the two cups an hour later, they were still hot. Sorry about your hubby. It must have been extremely hard on you seeing him suffer like that. Takes time, but eventually the pain is not so great.

Gerry, how wonderful; your dd and sil really made friends immediately. You will definitely have to visit them at some point. Although I am sure you miss them, at least you know they have friends around them and so they are not alone especially during the holidays.

Michael, hope you don't have too many "cold, dark and dank days". Yes, drink some of that "stuff you drink on Friday nights" as Gerry said, and have one for me, lol!

Welcome junkyardgirl! We are just a bunch of friends from around the U.S. that like to keep in touch via GW. Hope you stay with us.

Finally got my Christmas tree today. It's out back in a bucket of water. I will bring it in tonight and start decorating.

Later. Eloise

o

Glad to see you finally got your tree Eloise....yet another nasty day here, but no beverage like I do on friday evenings.tomorrow is a school (work) day...I did follow Gerry's advice yesterday and watched football with adult beverages and chili..... Supposed to have a half inch of ice on everything by morning.

Welcome junkyardgirl...I hope to see more of your posts. Be careful what you offer or you might have more campers than you know what to do with. We won't be worse than In-laws coming to visit, promise.. :)

o

Michael, I hope you slept alone last night! ROFLMAO!!!

o

Hope y'all don't mind if I ramble a bit.

I just hit "send" on an email to a very special friend. Then I realized I had included a sentence that he would puzzle over. I keep forgetting that everyone doesn't think like I do, and might not catch a hidden meaning. To prevent his thinking I have turned into a total nut case, I will send an explanation later. Or maybe not....I'm sure he will figure it out.

My mother suffered from chronic optimism. She was always saying things would be better tomorrow, the sun will shine tomorrow, all clouds have a silver lining, etc. She would have loved the following little story:

This man had twin boys who were as opposite as day and night. One was always optimistic, the other a gloomy pessimist.

One year for their birthday, Dad decided to give his pessimist son every conceivable toy, game, latest fad. For his optimist son, he gave a big load of horse manure.

His pessimist son began crying, "I'll have to read all these instructions before I can play with these toys, the batteries will always be dead when I want to play, they will all be broken soon, ".....and on and on and on.

His optimist son was happily jumping all over the big pile of horse manure. "And why are you so happy?", Dad asked.

His son replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

So, when someone dumps a load of crap on you remember: there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere. Just wade thru 'til you find it.

Goodnight, all

o

Good Early Tuesday morning all.

Wow - I missed a lot yesterday. Sorry for that. All of you are so special - make my day most times, and it seems funny when we don't touch base. I did a some cleaning, football and running errands. My ex stopped by to fix a headlight on my car - he's a mechanic along with being a truck driver, so it's easier to have him do those things instead of explaining to the garage that I shouldn't have to pay $100 to have a headlight installed. In my car you have to take out the battery and a lot of other stuff just to change the silly thing. After that, we moved some things to the outside attic so I don't have a pile of boxes, etc. sitting in the middle of my living room floor. By the time I realized it, it was 8:00 last night. I finally began decorating my tree tonight - will finish tomorrow.

Eloise/Michael - thanks for the camera tips. I haven't read them yet but will shortly. Still on the fence but I think I'm going to use the site Michael told me about. Such great reviews for them! Eloise, do you have your car back yet? If you posted already, sorry I missed it.

gerry - great story on being positive. That type of thinking really work if you think about it. Some things are really impossible but many times you can't change it. Positive thoughts can sometimes get you through it. The other thing, I just finished watching Mary Poppins and I love that word - supercalafragalisticexpialidotious!! You can't help but laugh when you say it!

The weather is really something right now, seems like everywhere. I'm glad I'm home instead of in Chicago where I was a few years ago in the winter. I know we need moisture here in MD, whatever the type,but it would be nice to have some real sun for a change. It's been rainy and foggy the last few days. But, the temps weren't that bad during the day - I guess the reason for the fog. I'm ready to bring out that Disaranno to cheer things up around here.

Junkyard - glad to see you here! Yes, it's slow sometimes but we kind of speed it up when we feel like it. I think this is the best Forum for that. I'm still recovering from Friday night's party!! I think we all had a crazy good time!

K-J; I know you talk about the loss of your hubby. I know that was tough. My sister lost a very close friend about 2years ago to the same thing. By the time her Drs admitted the problem, she was close to end stage. I must say, I admire your strength and courage. I know how hard it can be to get into the holdiays. My DD was a Daddy's girl, and my ex just won't celebrate Christmas at all. This year I said something about it and told him that Cheryl would want him to at least put up a tree. The other day he said he just might this year. DD was such a nut (a good one). On her last Christmas with us, on her own and with no warning, she bought home a HUGE 10ft real tree on top of the hood of her car. She'd only been driving for a year, and to do that...!! So I know she would be happy to have Dad have a tree. We'll see what happens with that one. Anyway, it's good to see you keep on keeping on! You add so much to the SLF!!

Oh, and BTW, RE the Jokes thread, I can't tell them with a straight face (but isn't that the general idea!!), but I sure do laugh at them! That would be so fun!

mimi- you have me out of breath with all that running around. Hope you had chance to take a breather!!

Anyway all - gonna take a nap til time to get up for work - YUK!! Have a good one..

gng

o

Greetings all,

I finally got my tree up, but still need to do some other decorations like my fireplace, tables, etc. Close to the top of the tree is a very special ornament; my son, who is in heaven, made this for me when he was a kid. It is a mouse holding a candy cane, and is made out of cloth. I treasure this and it each year, it has the spot right on top and front of the tree. I need to start wrapping gifts too! I am now getting very excited about Christmas, although I think this year went by too quickly. I'll post more later. Eloise

o

Oh, Eloise - your tree is gorgeous!

o

Eloise - I LOVE your tree!! I love candy canes so I know the tree topper is special, especially since it also has such a special meaning. I once had a 2 and a half foot long candy cane that was probably 3 inches around. I got from the local drug store. I kept that thing for years, until I got sick of everyone telling me that is was going to get moldy - yeah, right.

Anyway, glad to hear from ya. I too still have to wrap and I'm also re-thinking some of the gifts I've already purchased. I wanted to do some more outside tomorrow but the weather is really going to be pretty awful. Maybe Saturday AM before the snow hits.

Camera, what camera!! I'm such a chicken. But, your picture is getting me there. Feeling pretty guilty about not having anything to post. Still deciding at least.

o

When I used to buy and wrap gifts, I thought I was such a smug shopper - I'd buy gifts throughout the year and hide them. THAT old lady (in the mirror) would move them, and when Christmas rolled around, I couldn't find the ones I bought earlier.

I had to go and buy new ones - happened EVERY year. She also used to move my 'on sale' wrapping paper and cards. I finally gave up and just give money now! LOL

o

Beautiful tree, Eloise. I'm not putting up a tree this year, so it's nice to see other people's.

Today is my day off, so I'm going thrift shopping for myself with part of my Christmas Bonus. I might go buy a new pair of shoes, if I can't find one at the thrift stores.

I'm going to call my mother and sister, then I'll get going. Right now I'm drinking my coffee (I slept in this morning). I can't live without my coffee, so the Coffee Shop is a great place for me to be this morning.

Have a great day, everyone!

o

Very nice tree, Eloise....I'm not doing a tree again this year. Doing Christmas at my moms, so no need to do it here. I got Ava's trike put together so she can ride it right away, hopefully we won't have too white of a Christmas and I'll try to have a pic of her. gng!!...do I have to hack your computer and steal your credit card number in order for you to get a dang camera??? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Thanks all, and my home smells so wonderful because of the live tree!

Gerry, sounds like your mom was great; being optimistic is better than being pessimistic! That's a great story, and isn't it the truth that there are people like that!

I don't remember where I read it, or heard it, whether it is true (hope so), or even the entire story, and I can't even do it justice, but it went something like this: Every payday, when the father came home from work, the mother would gather the family around the table and she would then proceed to divide the money into envelopes for various expenses, e.g., to pay the rent, to buy food, to pay for utilities, etc., and at the end she would always say this amount to go into the savings account. This happened year in and year out. The kids grew up and all became successful. When their parents died, the kids found out that their parents had no money, as a matter of fact they were quite poor. The gift this mother gave her kids was to make them feel very secure growing up. They believe there was a savings account, so they never knew or felt poor although they were. The money set aside actually went towards some other bill or to buy food, and never to a savings account.

Jo, I too tried buying gifts ahead of time. My problem, when it came to the gifts I bought my family, was that I would get excited about what I bought, and give the gifts as I couldn't wait. I would have to buy for Christmas again, so that didn't work for me -- too costly!

gng, those candy canes have so many preservatives that they can last a life-time. I don't think there is any actual food substance in those things. Sometimes we just hang them on the tree as decorations, but the ones on my tree now are made of plastic. It's not easy buying a camera. I start by goggling camera reviews, then select those that are appealing to me, and research those making a list of pros and cons. Then, I start crossing out those with the most negative reviews. I end with two selections that I go back and forth until I just make myself choose one. I've gone through this process four times now.

Junkyardgirl, I am an early bird, and coffee is the first thing I have while I am on the computer! I usually set up the coffee maker the night before so all I have to do is switch it on. It does have a timer, but I keep unplugging the coffee maker which of course changes the clock. Hope you bought your shoes and whatever else you were looking for.

Michael, I can just see Ava's face when she gets her trike! I know she will be very excited. That's great that you will be going to your mom's for Christmas. I'm sure she appreciates having you there.

Tomorrow early we are going on a train ride. The train takes you to this place where you cut your own tree. My family will be the ones cutting down their own tree, and I am just going along for the excitement of it all. My sils parents are also going, and I am taking everyone out to lunch afterwards. It will be a great outing.

Later. Eloise

o

oooh, Eloise, that train ride sounds so special. I love trains. My favorite uncle used to make boxcars and would take me to his job a lot when I was just a little one. My grandfather on my dad's side used to make the best creamed chipped beef on the Reading RR between PA and NY. My sister and I would love to ride with him during the summers. Have a wonderful time.

I know too about that Christmas tree smell. I miss that from my live tree last year. I have an artificial one this year because I still can't put one up by myself. Last year I fell right after Christmas and ripped a tendon and my rotator cuff in my shoulder. You should have seen me trying to get that dry tree out of my house with one arm in mid Frebruary!! I used to do landscaping (NOT GARDENING) and I called on all that skill to cut the tree down, limb by limb, inside the house - talk about a funny site. But, that's the only way I could do it. It wasn't funny at the time because of the pain, but now I just laugh outloud thinking that someone could have seem me doing that through my window!!

Glad you are enjoying your tree!!

o

Greetings all,

We had a wonderful time at the Christmas tree farm! The train ride was o.k., but it seemed longer than the last time we took this train. On Mother's Day, we did the same trip, but it included a dinner so I guess this is the reason the trip didn't seem as long -- we were so busy eating! Once we got there, my sil and gs immediately took off looking for a tree. We were all trying to catch up to them, but it was hard walking on the lumpy ground. I finally ventured off with my grandbaby and found a road we could have taken, duh! My dd said it was going to be cold so we all over dressed and it got hot. Carrying coats, mittens, cameras, etc., was not fun, but we made it! They got a very nice fresh tree. Once we left there, we ended up at the Red Lobster for a great lunch.

gng, I can vitualize you cutting that tree inside your home limb by limb, and can imagine the mess, lol! I always make a mess when I first get my tree in because invariably I decide to shape it in the house instead of outside. I end up with needles, branches and even sap sometimes on my carpet!

Wishing you all a great week.

Eloise

o

Believe it or not, just getting something to eat today, and taking a break (1:30 p.m.). I have a million and 7 things to do, and only time to do a million and one.

I'm off to the UPS office to mail my kids' presents, then back home to assemble more presents for other people. I hope they all get there on time, but if they don't....oh well!

o

jyg, that is late getting something to eat. When I worked and was totally swamped, I still took the time to walked either to the student store or the cafeteria to grab something and bring back to my office. Then, I would still go to lunch after that, lol! I learned early on in my career that they didn't appreciate me any more whether I slaved or just worked conscientiously. Instead what started happening was that they assumed I could take more on, so I started telling them no.

I have four more presents to wrap, and then I am done, yeah! Oops, forgot I have to write some Christmas cards and mail those.

Have to return a call for an appointment for physical therapy for my right shoulder (read on other thread about people falling, but that's not the case with me). I had it X-rayed a few months ago, but when they finally called for an appointment, I couldn't do their schedule. They were waiting for the January schedule, but now I haven't called. I heard on tv and then read up on the web and I believe what I have is a frozen shoulder. Apparently, one (mostly women 40 on up) can get this for no reason (as I did) or through an injury, and it is painful. I am very bad at going to the doctor's so this has been going on pretty much the entire year! I thought it would go away, but hadn't so I finally went in.

This week is my last yoga class at the local college. I really enjoyed it, and I do believe all those stretches did my shoulder good!

Later.

o

Eloise - oooooh, frozen shoulder!!! So sorry to hear that. That's exactly what happened to mine, after my fall. It is super painful too. I remember trying to move my arm with the other hand and it WOULD NOT budge!!! Keep stretching - wall walks and all. I've found that even now when it locks up, that the isometrics help a lot. Something as simple as touching a wall really does make a difference. I often had a 2hr commute to work and when pressure from the seat against the damaged part was too painful on those long trips, I would use the stearing wheal as a wall. Good luck with that and keep at it. Otherwise you start back to sqaare one!! I got so sick of therapy that I finally just stopped going - a real mental drain. But I am constantly stretching and exercising. I just don't have the muscle tone back yet. Of course I had significant damage though, so it's probably taking a little longer for my muscles to get back.

Best wishes!!

o

I have torn rotator cuff muscles, and my shoulder hurts all the time as well. I hate not being able to sleep on my right side (as I have all my life) and I hate not being able to work all day in the garden, or in the house. I don't have an appt. again until Feb. 5! I'm going to tell him to either find out what is causing it, or let me go to someone who will. It's been 9 months this has been going on, and I'm about to lose my job because of it.

o

Just a suggestion JYG - try some magnesium. I've been hearing so much lately how anyone over 50 should have approx. 500mg/day. I can't say it is a miracle drug and I'm not a medical pro by any sense of the word (although I grew up with a nurse for a Mom and biochemist for a Dad, with a sister who went through all but 3 mos nursing school, and I worked for a huge medical facility for more than 5 years) but my Dr. suggested taking it because I was having the foggies and thyroid problem. I am a recently diagnosed diabetic - YUK!. She was going to test my magnesium levels but suggested I try some first. I take 250mg - one in AM and one at night. I can't tell you the difference it has made; even wiht my shoulder pain. It has been an awful year with my shoulder injury - nothing seemed to keep the progress. You know, the 2 steps forward one step backwards thing. No guarantees, but since starting on it, I can touch my shoulder without wincing now. Like I said, not making a recommendation, but it's worth a try. The main thing, as I mentioned to Eloise, exercise and stretching are critical. One thing, the neck may be the culprit. I've learned so much about the anatomy of the neck and shoulder connections. I can press high up on my neck, close to the middle of my skull, and can feel the pain in my shoulder - rotater cuff. Go figure. My neighbor is going to a spine specialist now because they think her shoulder pain is related to the neck. The computer and so much time on the phone are definite culprits.

Sorry for being long-winded here, but I truly feel your pain!! Hope it goes well with the Dr., but in the meantime, just stretch, stretch, stretch!!

gng

o

I am a "side" sleeper myself and I had chronic shoulder pain, especially during the winter months... since I have gotten my waterbed, I had yet to even recall those days, until I read your post JYG. That was 2 years ago and I have a very physical job. Not guaranteeing it's a cure to anyone out there, but it definitely healed me.

o

Thanks for the info gng, my calcium tablet only has 80 mg of magnesium. I'll buy some maybe today. What do you mean by 'foggies'? My physical therapy is not until Jan. 14. Years ago, I injured my left shoulder cutting down a rubber plant tree. That also took a while to heal, and physical therapy did the trick. It really sucks when we are slowed down by age let alone injuries.

JYG, oh that hurts just to read about your rotater cuff muscle. Your appointment is even further away than mine. Hopefully, the Dr. will do the right thing by you.

Michael, we learned the hard way that waterbeds are not good here in earthquake country! My son had one; we had a large earthquake early in the morning and he couldn't get out of the bed! The earthquake had the water inside rolling like waves! They are comfortable though.

Let's all of us continue to do the best we can to keep ourselves as healthy and as safe as possible.

Later. Eloise

o

It's that time of year again when egg nog will be served almost everywhere. I have a question: Does the alcohol in egg nog kill any samonella germs?

o

The Shreveport Times:

"A caution: Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by thinking adding alcohol to eggnog kills these bacteria. Only heat can destroy salmonella."

So, bottom line: alcohol does NOT kill salmonella in raw eggs - only HEAT kills it.

o

ROTFL at the picture in my head of Eloise and hubby rocking and rolling on the waterbed! Too funny!

I know I need to take my vitamins again. I feel and sleep better when I do. I used to take a whole regimen, morning and night, but got out of the habit. I'll go take them tonight, just since you said so! I have calcium-magnesium-zinc tablets. They say the combination of the three is powerful, and I can say that they sure helped my back at one time.

o

Got you on the waterbed Michael - I was going to buy one a few years ago because I needed something that would provide support, but that wouldn't be so firm that I wouldn't be able to relax/sleep. I didn't like the waveless ones - for some strange reason, I felt motion sickness!! The others rocked just too much for me. I do have featherbeds though!!!!

Eloise, yeah, the picture of trying to get out of one during an earthquake - funny, but I guess kind of scary too.

"Foggies" - sometimes it would seem as though my head felt like a rubberband was wtrapped tight around it. I'd had a lot of sinus/ear infections when I was traveling a lot flying back and forth to/from Chicago. But after a while it like I was in a fog all the time. I had read, and my Dr. told me that it was probably the lower estrogen levels - if there is such a thing (LOL). But as I mentioned, when I told her about it again, she told me that it happens a lot with low magnesium levels. My sister is very into natural health and has done a lot of reasearch on a variety of natural remedies, supplements. She had told me about magnesium quite a while ago. Actually, magnesium helps a lot of other things as well - even thryroid problems. I can't verify from a practitioner's perspective, but I can tell you - no more foggies, and that's a good thing!! BTW, magnesium is often given during a heart attack - that HUGE syringe you may see on med shows that is inserted directly into the heart. It's probably mixed with something else, but mag is a muscle relaxant as well so that makes some sense (at least to me).

One thing to remember, always take your vitamins during the day and minerals at night. Minerals will relax you for a full-night's sleep. Viatmins rev you up for the day.

o

Good morning all,

Hmmmm, egg nog sounds good right now! As I am the only person in my family that likes it, usually I just buy a quart for myself and dilute that with some milk because I find it too sweet. My kids' great-grandmother used to make her's from scratch each year and add brandy to it (just for adults), yummy! She also used to either make or order fruitcake and soak it with brandy (or rum?) weeks before Christmas -- that was yummy too!

jyg and gng, it was my son's waterbed. I went in to see why my son wasn't already out of his room -- standing under a door frame as we were first told was a safe place during an earthquake -- and he said he couldn't get out of bed! It is indeed scary to be trapped like that.

"Foggies", I've had those, lol! One time I had such a horrible sinus infection that I ended up passing out; then, I went to my doctor. Get the picture, I do not like to go to the doctor's! As smart as I can be, I am not very smart when it comes to going to the doctor before things get worse.

Have to remember that: vitamins during the day and minerals at night, thanks!

Went to a wonderful Christmas play/lunch yesterday. Because my daughter's mil sings at their church, that was sponsoring the play, my grandbaby got to go on stage at the end when they called the kids up and was on Mrs. Santa Claus' arms during the last performance. We thought for sure she would flip out, but I think she was in shock and didn't cry. Afterwards some ladies were saying, oh that is the baby that was on stage. I felt like saying, do you want her autograph, lol!

You guys won't believe this. Friday I went to a nearby town, Burbank, looking for a new carseat for my grandbady for my car. My car overheated, totally! I called the Auto Club, who towed me home, and called the Jeep dealer. Monday I am having my car towed to the dealership although they are only working until noon, but I am getting a loaner car so won't be without a car.

Merry Christmas to all, Eloise.

o

Eloise, was visiting with my brother as I read about your Jeep....he has an 89 Cherokee and his was doing the same thing....finally they used a thermal temp gun and measured water temp into and out of the radiator and found that it was restricted....had to put in a new radiator and a new holding tank but it fixed it. Not sure if that is your problem, but he had it in the shop 3 times before they used the thermal gun. They changed thermostats and flushed the radiator the first two times thinking they had solved the problem. There should only be a 20 or so degree split between water in and water out...his had almost 100 degree split.

o

Eloise - I've said it before, and I'll say it again - thank Goodness for these Forums!! So much valuable information is exchanged on this GW site. I'm sure Eloise, you wouldn't have this info without having posted here, to have Michael, in this case, mention a possible cause. Good luck with your car - hope there is no additional damage.

Eggnog - Love it too. I haven't had any this year but I did have an egg-nog "drink" at Starbucks the other day. It was soooooo good!!

How sweet about your grandbaby!! Now you are famous!!

I posted on CS IV RE granite problem. There is a communication problem between my fabricator and the stone store. The stone store hasn't sent anything out yet. Just hoping they still have the stones reserved for me. Won't know until Wed!!! Install is supposed to be on the 11th. Everything is lined up for old countertop demo between now and the 11th. I'm going to HD tomorrow AM - 7:30 to pick out a sink. Since I don't have a lot of time, that's what I have to work with. The person I'm working with is a well-liked former HD employee so he'll be able to pull some strings if I have to special-order. So, again, hoping all works out with stone store.

Michael - I'm only a few hours from NJ. There are some beautiful places there but I know what you mean about it being a crazy place. But I'm sure your friend will argue that she isn't NJ!!! LOL!! Also, check out CSIV re my camera choice - I posted a link there.

I'm going to be crazy tomorrow - cooking TWO turkeys. If we don't "talk" between now and then, HAVE A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS ALL!!

gng

o

Greetings all,

Thank you all for all the great info you've provided. THANK YOU for sharing your life with me. I want to wish you all a safe and very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! This is what my DD did to their tree face:

o

Hi to everyone!!

I tried to post a response last night and then the puter crashed - again. I was POd that I just didn't feel like writing again. But I wanted to say, that's a heck of a Christmas tree Eloise! I bet that would be good for the front page of the local (or national) paper.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas day!!

gng

o

Have you taken your computer in to have it scanned for a virus? It is SO frustrating when your line to the outside world snaps - I KNOW! LOL

o

I'm actually thinking of doing that - it is still under warranty and needs a few bugs fixed otherwise. I'll be sure to have them check it for viruses then. I'd like to get a new one - more memory would help. I think that might be the problem because the trouble is wiht Explorer. The last time that happened - with old computer, it turned out to be a memory problem.

Thanks for the tip K-J.

o

Just checking in to wish everyone a very happy New Year and hope your Christmas was a joyous one.

That tree is so cute. I would never have thought of something like that. Totally lacking in imagination. The only thing I can do is copy someone else's ideas. Drat! In my next life I want to be more artistic. Or maybe a lap dog. Always wanted to lie around all day and be petted.

The next couple of days are going to be hectic for me so don't know when I'll be able to check in again. So, keep safe over the holiday.

Pris

o

I was just doing a quick run through on the other posts to catch up on what I've missed and caught Candlers query on CSIV. I have a cd burner at work and did mine there following the existing software instructions. My DIL tells me she took some of her old photos to the local HEB Grocery which has a photo developing service and they did it for her. With mine, I scanned all the photos into a file at home using the scanner software,copied to diskette and took that to work to be transferred to CD. There's probably an easier way but I was "winging" it.

Hope this helps. Of course, if you have a CD burner on your computer it will be much easier.

Pris

o

Greetings all,

I just went over to CS IV because I didn't understand what gng meant about Jo blowing it up (or something like that). Too funny that they had to limit it!

Michael, I just went back and saw Ava's first picture you posted and now the latest. They sure grow fast, don't they? She definitely is a cutie and I can see why she is Grandpa's girl.

Isn't it amazing how one simple little addition can make something look good? I too was impressed when I first saw the hat on the tree at my DD's. The picture was taken from inside the house. My DD wanted the tree face to be looked at from the kitchn window.

gng, I hope you've solved your computer problems. Don't you just hate it when you don't have access?

We all had a wonderful Christmas yesterday, and I tried not to eat too much. I got some nice gifts, but these three I especially like: Snickers bar, biscotti (had one with my coffee today), and a gift card to Green Arrow which is a nursery close to my house (love buying plants)! Oh, and my DD got tickets for myself, her MIL, my 14 yo GD and my DD to go see the musical Wicked -- that'll be fun! Gene, I got some coffee, World Harvest Organic coffee "Tranquility'. I was going to have some this morning but noticed it was decaffeinated, and I need my caffeine first thing in the morning, lol! I might have some later on this afternoon to try it out. I also joked with my DD about the name and did she think I needed "tranquility".

Speaking of tranquility, Pris, don't stress yourself out too much. Maybe you need a cup of my 'Tranquility' coffee :-)

The Jeep dealer said it was the water pump in my car. Anyway, I was so PO'd at them because when I went there early in the morning on Monday, the manager left no message that I could have a loaner car. They insisted they didn't have a loaner and they had no way of contacting the manager, sure. I was so ticked off that I took my car back, although they said I could cause more damage. Today I am taking it here close to my home to get the water pump replaced. I have my SIL's car in the meantime.

Here's to a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Years, cheers! Eloise

o

Had to go back to work today, and it was insane. I think it's a full moon. I was so uptight all day!

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow, but I have a lot to do, so maybe I'll check in later on in the day.

o

eloise - did you get your water pump on your car replaced? I don't think I would have much confidence in the Jeep dealer now, so it's good you're taking it some place else.

At times in the past when I have had car problems, I would always try to have a male relative or friend along who was a bit mechanically minded to help me talk to them about it. So far, knock on wood, I have never had any problems in getting whatever repairs were needed done on a timely basis.

Sometimes I think dealerships hold training classes for their mechanics and other personnel on how to take advantage of their customers, especially female customers!!

o

Gerry, my ex was a mechanic for years and I know for sure, they may not take specific classes, but they sure are taught how to take your money!! Belts and tires are two of the typical ones, because you can't dispute them.

o

Good morning all,

I have a brother who is a mechanic by trade, but he lives in Arizona so that doesn't help me.

Gerry, I am between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes. I took my car to a place recommended by our pastor and a couple of women that take their car there. They tested my car and it was NOT the water pump, it was the thermastat (sp)! The new guy asked what Jeep had done to my car, because he said there is a noise coming from the transmission when you put the car on Park, which was on my list when I last took my car to the Jeep dealership. He said they need to fix it if not it will get worse in time and cause damage -- hence, my first sentence. I did not want to go to them ever again!

Through another lady from church, I have another place for my car. Her husband just past away less than a month ago from a tumor in his head. This couple has always been into cars and so I trust their choice of mechanic. They have recommended that place to several people, but I never had the need so didn't note where this place was exactly.

I've been fortunate in always having honest mechanics, probably because I never take my car to a dealership. Twice, I left shops when I felt they were not being honest. The first time I was at the Jeep dealership, there were several people in the waiting room and we all started complaining about the service. There was this man that was returning because the work they did to his truck was not correct; my last time there, I talked to a man because he too was unhappy about work they did to his car and the engine light that keep coming on. I'm adding the last two because I know mechanics take advantage of women, but you see, this place also did it to men!

jyg, hope you survived your day back to work, and enjoyed your day off.

Last night, I had a cup of World Harvest Organic coffee "Tranquility'. Not too bad, although next time I will add more coffee as I was off a bit in measurements for making one cup of coffee, lol! I know exactly how much coffee to add for my coffee mug that holds two cups, but making one cup can be a challenge for me :-)

Happy New Year.

o

I would call The Terminator, Mr. Gov himself - see if he can help you!

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-558-3160 ( new number )

o

Good morning all,

It was cold last night so I lit a fire in the fireplace, and it was so cozy. Heard in the news that we would get more rain sometime soon. I made some menudo and had some for dinner, yummy, nice and hot. Usually I make it for Christmas, but I was too busy and forgot about it. I'll take some for my DD as my grandkids don't like it.

Friday evening, I went to a friends home; there was five of us and we had lots of fun. We ate, then played a card game where the most we could lose was under $2. I am not a card player so they had to teach me. I don't recall the name of the game, but it was two rounds with nine hands each. We all put in a nickel for each hand and the person with the lowest score wins; then, at the end of those nine hands, the person with the lowest score gets a quarter from each of us.

Thanks Jo. The Terminator would be my last recourse. Yesterday a friend told me I could take it to a different Jeep dealership as the info is all in one computer, so I will contact them and see if this is the case.

I hope everyone is well and keeping warm. Eloise

o

Good morning! It is cold and damp here, even though the ground is covered in ice and snow. The sun is shining and will melt some of the crud, leaving mud and slush as it's gift to us.

Your Mexican soup sounds as if it would warm your tummy and soul, but I can't eat spicy food, so I will have to leave it to you.

Have a fun day and do something just for you.

o

Good Morning all. It's almost the last day of the year - a good time for reflecting on what to take from this year, and what not to take into next year. For me, it was a strange kind of year - some of it was so hectic and a little unnerving, but all-in-all, I think it turned out to be pretty balanced; some good and some not so good, but a pleasant year none-the-less. Having met all of you has truly been a pleaant surprise, and I thank you for that.

It is pretty chilly and gloomy here. I'm still trying to clean up from Christmas, but I'm getting there. I wish there was some sunshine to help motivate me a little more though. The templator will be here on Wednesday - YEAH, granite is finally coming!, so I have to have everything finished by then.

Yesterday I visited some friends from a few neighborhoods ago, and that was so much fun. I hadn't seen one friend in more than a year. She and I used to talk or see each other almost every day. It was great seeing her. Her grandchildren were over and OMG, am I getting old. Two of them are teens now, and there is a new baby - 9mos!! The last time I saw one of them, she hadn't even been in this world a full day yet. She'll be five next week on her birthday!! It was such a sweet day!!

I hope everyone is enjoying their day. More importantly, I hope you ARE NOT rooting for the Dallas Cowboys!!!

my best...

gng

o

Well, as all of you are aware, my year was NOT a good one. I am asking for a better year in 2008, starting with having the good sense to start preparing for my move to Florida NOW, instead of starting in 6 months!

I am also asking for a reduction in eating desire - I need to shed about 20 pounds, so PLEASE let me start Jan. 1!!!

o

Praying for a better year for you Jo. I know it's been a long one. I actually thought about you when writing that post. My heart really goes out to you for the strength you've mustered to make it through on top. I pray that your move goes well - what part of FL (I forgot)? With all that activity during the move, you may only need to work on 15lbs!! JAN 1 - here we come!!

Have a good one!

gng

o

Gnee, I plan to move to Panama City Beach, Florida. You know kids, though - by the time I am ready to move, my DIL may change her mind and move back to KC - WHO KNOWS?!!

o

KC, well that would be a change of heart, alright!! Either way, I hope it works out. It would just be a nicer trip to visit you in FL!!! LOL

o

Good morning all,

As the say goes, "out with the, old in with the new" -- the year that is, lol! Yesterday, I went out and bought myself four, new king-size pillows for my bed. I wanted to start the new year with something new.

Jo, soon the pain will lessen and you will feel better more often, on more days. When you feel sad, just tell yourself that at least now, your husband is not suffering. Hugs & kisses.

This is how I've lost some weight. I changed my eating habits by excluding foods with artificial flavoring, coloring and preservatives. At first, I thought it would be hard to find foods without these three components, but the more you look, the more you find them. Of course, I still eat some junk every once in a while, but it isn't daily.

Before you know it, it will be moving time for you Jo! What type of weather does PCB have? If you don't get the weather you now have, new year you won't be under ice and snow!

gng, isn't it amazing how we let so much time go by in seeing old friends? Then, when we do see them, it usually is like old times and you wonder why it took you so long to contact them. Sometimes, you go back to the same rut and it'll take you another span of time before you contact them again. Yay, your granite is almost here!!!!!

I need to do some cleaning. I have a friend spending Friday here and Saturday we are driving to go meet another friend. The two haven't seen each other for some time so this will be a good reunion.

Where's Gerry, Gene, Michael, Pris et al.?

Wishing you all a happier and healthier New Year! Eloise

o

Happy New Year to all,

Eloise - I'm still lurking around.

Someone mentioned earlier about this being a time of reflection. I set aside a few minutes every morning for reflection, meditation, contemplation. Of course, one is more inclined to reflect on the year's events on this date, I suppose.

It has, at times, been scary, such as the day of the massacre at Virginia Tech, knowing my daughter and son-in-law were on campus and not being able to reach them, and they not being able to contact me.

The saddest, most heart-breaking moment I experienced this year was the day I learned that someone I love like my own child was diagnosed with an incurable illness. My heart aches every day for her and I pray daily for a miracle for her.

Another deep sadness, though it in no way compares to the above, was the loss of my faithful Keeshond companion, Ess, who died quietly in my arms in November. I miss her so.

Well laid plans have often gone awry, but I learned long ago to line all my plans with Lycra (so there's always room for stretch/give)

On a brighter note, I have made some wonderful new friends this year, some of the best being my on-line friends. I have also participated more in the affairs and events of my small community and have met some wonderful neighbors.(yes, me - the avowed hermit)(hermitress?)

An old love has come back into my life. At this point it is just a deep, abiding friendship, but a gal can hope, can't she? Anyway, it makes me happy.

So, whatever this coming New Year brings, I hope to make the best of it, good or not so good. I will take what comes and be grateful for Life.

I hope for each of you a New Year filled with Peace, Happiness, Abundance, and the materialization of all your dreams.

Gerry

o

Gerry, friendship is better than a 'relationship' anyhow - relationships will come and go, but friendship is forever!

o

Hello, Everyone. I'd like to say something about our New Year to come that's really witty. Seems there was a time expounding such sense or nonsense came easy. I still have my moments. Remember "Ode To A Crow"? But, all in all, the best I can do is speak how I feel. I wish to tell everyone I appreciate them being here and I wish for each of you a comforting 2008. Gene

o

Thank you Gerry!! I wish you the best for 2008 as well. It has been great to meet you. And yes, Jo is right - it's great to have friendships - much less work than with a relationship.

Happy New Year!!

gng

o

Eloise, Jo, Michael, Gene (sorry about Gerry in other message), pris, Gerry (got it right this time),Barbara...

now let's see, did I miss anyone...if so, here's to you too - Happy New Year. May your 2008 turn out great!!

cheers,

gng

o

Happy New Year!

I try not to reflect on the past year because if I do, I will be regretting not doing somethings, actually lots of things. So instead I look forward to the future and pray for a more productive life!

Isn't it just grand to have a place to come to when we feel like expressing whatever to our friends here. I feel extremely lucky to have joined this group :-)

Gerry, what great news; having an old love come back into your life -- it's never too late! I wish you well.

Sadden by all who have lost loved ones including pets. I think this is what is called "life", but it stinks at times.

I'll be staying at my DD's for a couple of days, but will try to check in. Their computer has a program that blocks a lot of stuff (because of the kids) and it frustrates me when I am trying to get to the GW.

Be well my friends, Eloise.

o

Eloise, if you can't get into a site, try holding down the 'ctrl' key on the lower left corner of your keyboard - sometimes that will let you in.

o

Eloise - enjoy your stay with your DD!! Yes, reflecting over the past year is good in some regards, but when you have the whole world ahead of you, I say, just keep going. Of course we will take the lessons learned and all of our friends and relations, but I enjoy new experiences. With all the baggage from the year before, I probably wouldn't have room to open up and let them in.

Today would have been my DD's 32nd Bday. She left us when she was 18 - just 7 days before HS graduation. It's been a while but she is still surely missed - and by so many. Here's to you Cheryl!!! Funny, I used to call her "Monkey" because she was so acrobatic when she was young. When I woke up this morning, I sat up and said "Happy Birthday Monk (for short)". It was as if she was here and I hadn't missed a beat. Oh well, as I said, life moves on and I have to go with it. I just take her with me as I go. She was a truly a dynamic spirit and sometimes she is just the kick-in-the-pants to get me going.

Thanks all for listening, and also for just being friends. As Eloise mentioned, it's good to have somewhere safe to go to just kick things around.

take care...

gng

o

Good morning,

gng - Yes, we have to go on. I know the feelings you must have had all day yesterday. I, too, have lost a child and it is something one can never get over. The acute pain eases, but there will forever be a sadness in our hearts.

My firstborn, a son, died when he was 21 years old. Like your daughter, he was so full of life and living. He was my only child for over 10 years, and a coworker told me once that I really should have more children because if something happened to my son at least I would have others. I did have other children, a second son born when my oldest was 10 years old, then 5 years after that, a daughter. Now, I could say to that coworker that no matter how many children one has, the loss of one is not diminished. The pain is just as great. But we survive, we learn to smile again, to laugh again, but there will always be the ache in our hearts. My son would be 47 now, had he lived. My second son is now 37, and my daughter is same age as yours would be, she was 32 in Nov. They both declare their older brother is now their guardian angel and you know, I believe he is -- Just as Cheryl "Monk" looks over you. God bless.

I just opened an e-mail from my sister in the NC mountains which she sent around midnight last night. She said the snow began falling around 7:30 PM last evening and that she would try to get some good snow pictures today. Gene(Candler) lives up in that area, too, so perhaps he will post about the snow. I read somewhere that 5 to 9 inches had been predicted.

It's C-O-L-D here this morning also. Wind chill factor is 21 degrees, actual temp is 32. I live approximately 50 miles inland from the coast. But no snow in the forecast for this area.

OK, folks, I'm getting my photobucket account set up - add some pictures daily. One of these first days I'll attempt posting a couple.

It's time for that 3rd coffee. Y'all have a good day

Gerry

o

Greetings all,

Seems like Gerry and gng opened up more so I will as well. My 19 y.o. son did not leave us, he was taken away from us. Two guys murdered him for his car. He would have been 38 this Jan. 27. For many years, I was in a nightmare full of pain. You are right Gerry, there is no replacing that child, but instead one feels acute pain when there should be joy, e.g., a sibling marrying, the first grandchild, etc., because you know that child should have been here. For me, my belief in God, and time has brought me to where I am today.

This is not meant to make anyone sad. I am enjoying what I have here and now. I also truly believe my son is in God's arms.

Thank you for being here. Eloise

o

Oh, my Friends - I do feel so sad for you! I know the pain of losing someone who held your heart in the palm of his/her hand. Sometimes, it simply takes your breath away when you think of the tragic way they left us. No one can truely relate until it has happened in their life - I pray that we are the LAST ones this happens to!

o

Wow, what can I say...; you all are so special. Thank you for all that you say and do here. Everything each of you has said is so true. But, it is most believable because of your experiences. I can only say that we can lift up one another, in this fight to hold it together - for our loved ones and more importantly, for each other. I know that my faith held me during those early years. I often tell people that you have to have faith - in something, even if it is in a rock. You can't go through something like this alone. It is so much that even your friends/family combined don't have the strenth to handle that much emotion. You need to put it somewhere. I just happen to believe in my Lord and Savior, and also believe that He has my back.

Gerry, funny, the first thing people told me was that I could always have another child. Well, one child doesn't replace another. The other children - you love and cherish them just as much as the lost one. But nothing can replace that child. I agree with you there. I did not have other children; Cheryl was my only one. So now I "adopt" everyone else's, and also their grandchildren. It's fun that way sometimes.

Eloise, I think we understand when you say that you didn't want to bring on sadness. Yes, this type of stuff makes us sad. But I truly believe that sadnes is a state of mind that we have overcome with all of the joy we have in our hearts, and that we bring to all of our friends and families and even those needing comfort. So, what you said was OK. The sadness is only in your your tragic loss. I am so sorry for that.

Jo - I'd like to think we would be the last ones, but I don't think that's in the plan. But, we can be the supportive spirits that we are becasue we have experienced and hanlded the sadness, to be able to help the next ones in need.

OK, now to the weather - what the heck is happening with this COLD...brrrrrr!!! I thought we were having global warming!!

OK, granite update - the guys will be here tomorrow afternoon to template - YEAH!!! I'm so excited. More importantly, I'm so SCARED!!! I have a huge sink issue - my cabinet is only 24" and it has been you-know-what to find a sink. I just learned from "Kitchens" that I may only be able to get a 15" (Interior) sink. Yee-gads; what can you do in that!! Well, that just means that I can't do dishes - LOL!!

I'm heading off to la-la land. Thanks everyone for being YOU. We'll see you on the flip side. BTW, sorry for loooooong post.

gng

o

Gnee, if your posts were short, we wouldn't be happy - we LOVE your posts!

I wonder where Michael is - we haven't had a good 'Ripple Rant' in a Loooooooong time!

o

K-J, thanks. Sometimes I post only to respond to something someone has said - out of respect for that person's thought, I guess. But somestime it's just my bubbling over, so I'm never sure if I've overstepped. Much appreciated!!

Yeah, where the heck is that guy!! He's been hiding out again. Rant or not, just want to be sure he's OK. I'm still recovering from that last one - LOL!! It would be fun though.

OK everyone - GRANITE TEMPLATE TODAY!!! Boy of boy, was it fun!! I ended up spending a lot more, I know. At the last minute, I asked the guy to measure for a full backsplash in part of the kitchen. I was originally getting a 5" backsplash. I don't have price yet - will get that tomorrow. I finally think the kitchen will turn out OK, even without a plan or KD. Yep, it was just me, and all the people that I bugged to death. Install is still set for the 11th -2 days before my birthday!! I'll keep you posted.

Hope everyone is doing well.

gng

o

Good morning all,

I'm still at my dd's and their computer is driving me insane! It's super slow, and the keys stick. There are 3 computers here, but only 2 have internet and 1 of those is not working, and this one is the pits. I'm also not that thrilled with their coffee, lol!

I will be going home later today, but am picking a friend from L.A. who will be spending the night. Tomorrow, 3 of us are going to Ventura (close to Santa Barbara) to visit some other friends -- that'll be fun provided the storm we are expecting doesn't get here.

You all write beautifully whether it's providing very useful info, personal, or just ranting and raving, lol!

Anyone do biddings on ebay? I never used to, but now I've done it three times -- all for brugmansia cuttings! I hope I don't kill the cuttings.

Seems like the holidays and winter made us feel blue thinking about our loved ones. Hugs to all.

Here's something lighter. I ordered this Bluetooth headset for my cell now that this year it will be illegal to use your hand-held phone when driving (I usually pull over to dial). When I read the info online, I didn't see anywhere that this was for use with "Bluetooth enabled cell phones". I have to check my phone agreement to see if I'm eligible for a free phone that will work with the Bluetooth. I ordered two because the price was right, and I am giving one to my grandson which he can use with his cell or other stuff. I hate not knowing all the terminology or what works with what for the current gadgets.

Be well. Eloise

o

Eloise, that's why God gave us Google.com!! It is my bible, because I don't know much about modern technology, either. My stepson is able to explain or do tech things for me, but he speaks 'teenese' and I can't understand a word he says! When he says something to me, I look for signs of fire or blood - and if I don't see either of those, I just nod and 'uhuh'!

o

Just a quick note to check in. Happy New Year everyone. I haven't had time to---never mind. Keeping busy trying to please 4 bosses now instead of 1. Retirement is looking better & better.

Maybe when I get through the next couple of weeks I'll have time to see what's going on. In the meantime, be careful and be happy.

Pris

o

LOL, Pris - I read you loud and clear!

o

Hello,

Eloise, I guess you're home by now. The storm - is that sweeping down from the north by any chance? Got an e-mail and pics from Rachel today around noon. She said the storm battering northern California has left her courtyard demolished. They had very heavy rains and winds of 60mph and she says it reminded her of our hurricanes here on the East Coast. The pictures were so dark I couldn't tell much about them except for overturned flower pots, broken bird bath. She did say trellis was blown down, wind chimes, etc. broken, but that she, her DH and the dogs were OK. She was afraid I had seen it on national TV and she didn't want me to worry. So if you're getting the same storm, I hope it has abated somewhat before it reaches your area. Stay safe.

We're having unusual weather here, too, for this area. Hard freeze and power outage left my water lines frozen last night. We dropped to 18 degrees here and wind chill was in single digits. I'm up and running now though. Will be OK here tonight so long as we keep power and leave the faucets dripping.

KJ - Know what you mean about teen-talk. My children are well past their teens, but sometimes it seems even they are speaking a foreign language. And now DD has begun to pick up on that California slang (sorry, eloise - no offense intended):-)

gng, did you get the granite in yesterday? Bet it's beautiful. Yes, pictures, please.

Had some wonderful news from DD in Cal earlier this week. Her DH's grandparents gave them just the BEST Christmas gift ever - plane tickets back to Charleston. They will be flying back the latter part of February. I am just so excited. That news has certainly cured my January blahs!

It's Friday night - when does the party begin?

Take care.
Gerry

o

Gerry, what a wonderful gift for them AND YOU!

As for the party, unless Michael shows up, we won't have much of a party. He seems to have vanished, so maybe I will call him. If I call him, we will talk for HOURS and he won't make it to the party, so maybe I won't call him and he will show up.

o

KJ - Just read some on-line news stories about the California storm. DD's area due to be hit by a 2nd storm tomorrow. Down in Southern California in Eloise's area people are being told to evacuate, mostly in those burned out areas from earlier this year because they may be hit with flooding and landslides. So she may not be doing a lot of posting. I'm saying a prayer for her safety and for that of my daughter and her DH. Perhaps eloise decided to remain at her daughter's home instead of driving home this afternoon.

Yes, I was telling someone just yesterday that a lot of people will benefit from that gift. Every year my son has a huge oyster roast/cook out around Feb 19 (which is his birthday and his daughter's is on the 20th) so a lot of family and friends of Rachel's will be there.

o

This 'party girl' is tired and headed for bed - good night, all!

o

Good evening all. It's 10:30 PM, and just got home from dinner with a friend who is spending the night. We went to a Korean bbq place, yummy! It is raining hard outside, and although we needed rain, it has ruined my plans for tomorrow. We had to cancel going to Ventura because there are flood warnings, rats!

Thank you Gerry for shooting those prayers up for me. I am doing fine and am safe as I pray your family up in northern California are as well. I don't know where this storm is coming from, but as you posted, they keep warning about flooding especially on those areas where we had the fires. Every intersection was flooded on my way back home. There aren't too many cars out on the road so that is good. We also went to the mall to pick up a ring I had to for my granddaughter, and there weren't a lot of people. Part might be because of the storm and the other might be because everybody is broke from Christmas. WHAT GREAT NEWS about your dd and sil getting tickets back to Charleston!! I know you are happy, happy, happy!!! Gerry, my b.d. is Feb. 20 and my granddaughter's is Feb. 19 -- so can we come to the oyster roast :-)

It is Friday, but I have no clue where the party is, ha, ha! Where is Michael? Is he posting somewhere else and left us? Boo hoo.

Jo, I know one can find out lots of stuff goggling, but sometimes I forget that it's there. Goodnight Jo; sweet dreams.

It was great being able to use my computer again. It is so fast compared to what I have tried to use at my DD these couple of days.

May you all have a soft blanket to keep you warm.

o

Good morning Eloise! We are happy you made it home and back to the warmth of your 'nest' - now, we pray that you can stay home!

I have NO IDEA where Michael is - guess I will try to call him sometime this evening if he doesn't post. He may be out of town.

o

Good Saturday morning,

It IS Saturday, isn't it? Had this problem all day yesterday thinking it was Saturday. Even picked up Friday's paper from the box and wondered why they didn't bring a Saturday paper. I don't always pick up my paper each day since it is a long way out to the mailbox and paper box. Now and then I will make a special trip to get it, but usually it's only if I plan on going out somewhere else anyway. I seldom get any mail except junk mail and bills and once all the bills are in I just sort of ignore the mail unless I'm expecting something.

Eloise - glad you are home safe. Sure, come on over to the oyster roast. The more the merrier. It gets kinda wild sometimes. We always start out with a kiddie birthday party which takes place while preparations are being made for the adult oyster roast. At times the yard will be full of kids, and a number of people bring their dogs (but only if they are well behaved and small) By the time the kiddie party breaks up, we're ready to start roasting oysters (and cooking other things on the grill, too, since a lot of people don't care for oysters) - and to break out the beer and hard cider.

DD & SIL have always been there for the party, but this year their being there will be even more special since none of us have seen them since back in July, just before they left for California. So this year maybe we should call it a "Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Welcome Home" party!

Have a great weekend all.

o

Hi All!...I'm alive and kicking, just haven't had the time or desire to spend much time on the net the last few days....I work for a small company and am finding that when the warrior takes off a few days, double the work is waiting when he comes back. Boss is off on a ski weekend and will probably get snowed in, so I don't expect next week to be much more fun. I might be up for a rant after this week for sure....hope everybody is having a great weekend!

o

I almost called you, Bud - you had us concerned! What do you MEAN: 'no desire to spend time on the net'?!!!

Don't you know how much you have been missed over the last five years, and now you don't want to spend time with us? Harumph - bah, humbug!

o

No offense intended by my statement...just long days on the job and too much drama in my life in the evening on the phone....Daughter quitting a good job (she was in a stressful situation so I can't complain), her leaning on me because her mom checked into rehab, calling plumbers to fix my moms possible EXPENSIVE sewer problems and watching bowl games... all tends to wear a guy out. Told KC she has dropped 2 bombshells and the year was only 4 days old, what next?..heh

o

LOL Michael - your family sounds as if they are actors in a movie plot!!! Hey, there ya go - sell your story to Mike Myers - he'll make a best-selling movie out of it! Well, you are still our favorite guy on this forum!

o

If my life were made into a movie, I'd walk out halfway through and ask for my money back from the manager. Looks like since it's just life, I'll just have to stick around and see how the movie ends.

o
one more note

I did read an article on heavy drinking that scared the hell out of me though...

that settles it...after today, no more reading!

o
ok, off to bed now...just finished the cup

but seriously, I am only limiting myself to one cup of beer a day. I will keep this new years resolution!!

Photobucket

o

Are you a funny one or WHAT?!

o

Jo, I hope you too are home all warm and cozy. The rain stopped for now which is good because it gives the water a chance to soak in instead of running down the streets like a river. We were going dancing last night, but then a movie "High Crimes" came on and we just got into it and by the time it was over, it was too late to go out. At one time, I would have still gone out, lol!

Gerry, the party sounds like the ones we had when I was growing up. We didn't need to invite friends because the family (siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins) was more than enough to make a party.

Glad you are back Michael. I thought you had ran off with Ava's trike, lol! Jobs can be a PITA, but a necessary evil if one likes to eat. So where are you in the line of "one cup of beer a day" drinkers -- just kidding. I assume out of view, is a bunch of drunks laying in piles, lol! Amazing what we think is cool or fun when we are younger.

Eloise

o

Good morning, Eloise! Yep, I didn't even go to church today. I went dancing last night - just not my 'cup of tea' anymore - I was bored and the guy I went with wanted to dance a lot, so I suggested he ask some girls setting at another table, but he wouldn't do that. I am just not healed enough to be out and about. I sent him an email telling him how sorry I was that I wasn't ready to date - he can move on and find someone who is.

o

Howdy, Folks. For Christmas one of my presents was a Starbucks Sampler box with six 2.5 ounce packs: Christmas Blend, House Blend, Caffe' Verona, Guatemala Antigua, Kenya, and Sumatra. I have no idea to the cost. I'm passing this along for those who wish to try different coffees. Admittedly, my prior purchases of samplers such as from Caribou was sort of pricy. I'm about 12 miles from downtown Asheville, but there's not a Caribou coffee house there. Could have saved shipping.

The one cup a day thing really brought a smile, T. Glad your humor is there. BTW, I appreciate the reply on Heating and Cooling. I had them use the wrap from Home Depot and had 6" insulation put between the garage ceiling joists. Only thing I can say so far is that it sure makes the garage colder. Don't know what to do with the other wrap.

Distance between newly acquire friends create problems, don't they. I've met someone via THS and would like to live close enough for an occasional dinner out, museum visit, or just a walk. But even if we met half way a round trip for each would be a half day or so. I think it's true when it's said the older one gets the less likely they care for driving.

Going back a ways a THS friend posted they lost their spouse not too long ago. Of course our loss is constantly with us. She commented on daily reminders and I think one was mail being in his name. It's been almost seven years since my wife died. Over the years mail to her has lessened but something still comes about once a month. For the first year I responded asking her name be removed from their mailing list. It didn't seem to help. Getting something now doesn't bother me like it use to. The time thing. Just thought I'd let you know.

I like to get Christmas presents I can use, like the coffee. With trying to reduce fuel oil costs I've kept my thermostat lower. I wear a sweat shirt in the house. I got an Old Navy fleece pull over as a present. It keeps me a lot warmer. I wear it so much I might get another.

So much for my rambling. Recently I got a "words of wisdom" pass through e-mail. One said the biggest troublemaker you'll ever encounter is the one that watches you from your mirror. Seems all of the good sayings have been taken, doesn't it. I wish everyone well. Gene

o

Gene, what a delightful post - THANK YOU! I may have been the one you referred to as getting mail in my deceased husband's name - it's almost daily at this point. I try to get his name removed, and most of the time it works if I send a death certificate.

Since I quit smoking, not only have I gained 20 pounds, but coffee doesn't taste as good to me. I can still drink it if I add cocoa mix to it, but I am down from two pots a day to two cups a day since Gary became ill - I guess I enjoy it more when I am drinking it with someone I love!

o

Hi All, doing my laundry and relaxing for the day. Kind of dark and dank out but at least above freezing. Might take a ride out for a sunset photo in a bit....always looking to improve settings on my previous one.
Eloise, you all couldn't be so lucky as to lose me...you're stuck with me. Just sometimes I take a little break.

Gene, glad that insulation helped you out. I'd never use it in an attic situation but for what you wanted it was worth a try. As far as the leftovers, I was at a clients house recently, where I had installed a garage heater last year and he had cut the stuff into strips and put it over each segmant of his garage doors. Said it made a major difference in retaining the heat.

Jo, sounds to me like you need to get out and do more hiking like we did that time I came to visit. Very scenic and envigorating!

Mary!....did you ever get your camera??...inquiring minds want to know...heh

Hope everyone is having a quiet Sunday.

o
One more

after seeing my cup picture, my brother sent me this one...wants me to impose our pics over these guys faces..ha

Photobucket

o

Michael, it's not hiking that I need! Teeheee!!!

o
Hmmmm

LOL

o

Oh, my! Are we getting just a tad naughty here? Smirk :-/
Would be fun though, eh?

o

Well, maybe a tad! Sex IS the best diet plan in the world - when your having sex, you aren't thinking about food!

o

I've heard rumor that it is good for the cardiovascular system...not sure about weight loss though. Amazing to think that someone is getting paid to conduct that research though...where do I sign up?

o

Good morning all,

Jo send that guy to me. If I go out dancing, that is what I want to be doing! It's good that you went out, even if it was only to find out you weren't ready to be out and about. On some other occasion, you will be better and then able to enjoy being out.

I had too much coffee yesterday and couldn't sleep last night. I finally fell asleep sometime around 2 AM and was awake at 5:10 AM -- I hate that! Coffee will affect me sometimes when having coffee late in the afternoon, and other times I am fine.

Gene that sounds like a wonderful gift, and you are right, it's great to get gifts we can use! I've had the Christmas Blend, House Blend, and have tasted the Sumatra, however, the latter was not from Starbucks.

Yesterday when I took a friend home who had been visiting since Friday, we went to eat at what is known as The Farmer's Market in Los Angeles. They also have this large shopping and park area (The Grove) attached so we went shopping after eating Brazillian food. Afterwards we went into Barnes and Nobles to look at some books and to have dessert. We both have Starbucks gift cards, but the girl said they didn't accept them because they were not Starbucks. That was a shocker because the name Starbucks was on everything! Apparently, they had just bought this franchise from Starbucks. Anyway, that was my fourth cup of coffee for the day and I think that was the one that kept me up most of the night. The problem is that I have never been able to nap during the day so I will feel lousy all day and try to go to bed early.

Michael, that's another good cartoon you posted, lol! If you post your pictures on the face of those two guys, show us. Glad you didn't abandon ship and are still with us.

Guess I'll take down my Christmas tree. I would normally have taken it down on Saturday and then taken it to the recycling center, but had company. I have to check online what is the latest date one can take it to be recycled. I hope I can still take it to the recycling center. If I missed that date, I have to cut it in half and put it out in my green garbage can that will be collected on Thursday. My tree is seven feet tall and dry now so I really don't want to have to try cutting it!

Happy week all.

o

Hi all - just checking in (when I should be asleep 'cause I have to be in a class in the very early AM). But I wanted to say Hi, and I just have to tell you that you all are too funny. I learned somewhere in school many moons ago that sex was a must-have. At this point, I'd like to ask Maslow how the heck he thought that one up. But I tend to agree - it's a necessary evil - LOL.

gotta go guys - or I'll embarrass myself in class tomorrow. Anyone have some spare toothpicks.

I took pic tonight with my sister's camera. Not sure how they came out. Having MAJOR problems with the fabricator and I'm so fed up with them. I can't wait until Friday and they are outta here! But, it will look nice - I hope. Friday, Friday, Friday...Granite, Granite, Granite - yeah!!!

see ya,

gng

o

Gnee, my dear - sex is a physiological function that should NOT be denied! I have had guys tell me the were going to explode if they didn't have sex SOON! I ran like a mad deer, 'cause I didn't want them exploding all over my clean clothes!!!!

o

OMG Jo - that is too funny!! I can just picture that one!! I'd run like you know what!

o

Past couple of days have been shitty to say the least. Murphy's Law kicked in full speed.

My GS and GD had gone skiing for a couple of days and it turned out that everyone but my GD was sick with what appears to be a one or more day flu.

Sunday, got a cold sore on my lip - hate it -- and dont want to be out in public.

Monday, my DD called if I could watch my grandbaby because my SIL had been throwing up all night and couldn't care for her (he returns to work next Monday). Went to pick up my GD after school and the car died. I was able to start it up again, but it just wouldn't hold. I realized that if I kept giving it gas it would not die. I made sure the traffic was clear, put on Neutral, pressed on the brake with my left foot and gave it some gas with my right, then quickly put on Drive and went on to my DD's house, whew! I got their car keys and went and picked up my GS from school. After my DD got home from work, I drove my SILs car home.

Tuesday, brought their car back and took mine to a highly recommended mechanic nearby (started right away with no problem). He couldnt take it then because there were other cars before me. One of my society finches died :-(, and my cockatiel that flew away never returned.

Wednesday, left my car with mechanic and took the bus home, which is only 4 miles , but it took about 1 just to get home! I hate riding the bus, but last year I had to one day, and I hope this will be the only time this year. Put my cell in my pocket and went out to my back yard to empty some accumulated water under some plants. My phone slipped out of my pocket and into water -- its a goner! For the past three days I had been wanting to order a new phone, but couldnt decide on one. Just so happened earlier in the morning I force myself to pick one and actually ordered online -- should be here from 2-5 days. Called the mechanic to tell him to call my home phone when my car was ready. My DD picked me up after work and dropped me off at the mechanics. He gave it a tune-up and did a fuel injection service to make sure all the lines were clear. Told me the noise was definitely having to do with the transmission and I needed to take it back to the Jeep dealership - yuck! When my DD picked me up, she mentioned my SIL had gone to pick up my GS from school and then going to the pound!!!??? Whatever for? Havent you gotten our bad news? Apparently their three dogs broke through the fencing in the back yard that is by a wash and had been missing for two days! My poor GS was carrying such a heavy load and felt no one cared. My DD had already made posters to put out and she could see he felt a load off his shoulders -- poor baby. I said once I picked up my car I would go to their home to help search for the dogs. Got my car and decided to go down this street which is on the other side of the wash. Saw a boy with his dog and asked if he had seen a black lab, cocker spaniel and Shih Tzu, and he said his neighbor had been talking about them! The neighbor wasnt home, but the boys mom came out and started telling me about what her neighbor had said. This mom rescues stray dogs, but she wasnt home when our dogs went through. I wanted to call my DD but I didnt have me cell. I wanted to give this lady their home number, but its in my cell, I couldnt remember it, and usually I have numbers written down in my calendar, but I had just bought a new one and hadnt added the numbers! I gave her my number instead. Went to my DDs and she said they (SIL, GS and grandbaby) had called from the pound and all three dogs were there -- thank God! They didnt have their collars on because the black lab ALWAYS pulls hers and the other dogs off, and since they are in the back yard, we never worried. Anyway, they had the pound put in chips on all three now. Came home, called the Jeep dealership who tells me to bring in the car Monday. Monday, why not tomorrow?? They have too many cars already. Monday, I have physical therapy for my right shoulder and need my car so hopefully I can take it in the following Monday. Not having a reliable car is extremely stressful on me. I cried, had two glasses of wine, got online, and am much better, thank you very much!

All in all, things are on the mend. My cold sore is better, the rest of us havent gotten the flu, the dogs are home, and I found a wonderful mechanic. On the latter, my DD sometimes drops off this lady that works where she does at this mechanics. I told him about it and it turns out his son goes to school where my DD works, and he loves that school!

I am usually very good at handling stressful situations, but darn it, enough is enough! How do you all handle stuff when it seems too much is happening all at once?

o

eloise - OMG, girl - keep kicking. There has to be a pony in there somewhere! :-) (((( ))))

o

I am sorry for all the drama in your life at this time - like Gerry said, there's a pony in that hay stack - just be patient and this, too, shall pass.

I only THOUGHT I had stress until my husband got sick and died - now, I realize everything up to that point and since, was/is just an annoyance - nothing can hurt me now - I just don't care anymore about the little stuff - I know it will pass or work itself out in due time.

o

Oh Eloise, I am so sorry for all that is happening for you right now. Sounds like life is really getting in your way - thank goodness for wine bottles!! I hope things are better for you soon. BTW, a good cry is a drug of choice sometimes!!

Hang in there - there is a rainbow coming (hurry up, hurry up, hurry up and get here!!)

Miles of smiles to ya Kid!!

gng

o

Thanks Gerry, Jo and gng; I do feel much better today. I WANT A PONY, lol!! I went to the mall, then grocery shopping at Costco, and cooked some taco meat for dinner. Fedex delivered my new cell today! I needed a break right now from trying to input all my phone numbers. Don't know if I had gone to a Verizon store if they would have been able to transfer them from my old phone as it is not working. Oh well.

Jo, you are right in the sense that we have endured more serious stuff with our loss, and that alone should put other problems into prospective. But, when it is one thing after another, and you all know I have been dealing with my car for the longest, well it got to be too much!

gng, yes, a good cry always helps wash away what is bothering us! This reminds me -- quite a few years ago, I went to the bathroom and one of our students was crying. She didn't know why, but another girl came in and started crying just because the other girl was crying. Soon there was about five of us crying. Afterwards we all had a good laugh, and we all felt great.

O.k. back to the phone. Good evening all.

o

So glad you are feeling better Eloise!!!

OK, now I can yell it out - TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!! My neighbor just finished putting up the crown molding in the kitchen and family room - it is BOOTIFUL!! The chair rail goes in tomorrow after the granite is installed. Now I have to pick out the backsplash tiles and flooring. What is wrong with me - my bank won't give me money unless I put some it there!! I don't have to put in there!! But, once it is all finished, I won't want to do anything but stare at it so that'll save some money - I hope. I'm glad they didn't do the trims ealier because now I see how easy it would have been to rearrange my kitchen - MO MONEY, MO MONEY!! Oh well...

OK, now that I've calmed down, hope everyone is still hanging in there. Seems like we all have been going through "life" lately and I just want to wish everyone well.

See ya,

gng

o

Eloise, you know I didn't mean to diminish your feelings - I was talking about myself. I have been overwhelmed on may occasions, but now I realize I made way too much out of those incidents, in comparison to recent events.

o

Good morning all,

Jo, Don't worry, I didn't take it that way. As time goes by after a loss, we eventually return to reacting to minor incidents in life. I think this is o.k. as we need to be able to vent, if not we might truly flip out! Hope this makes sense.

Happy for you gng, FRIDAY! Soon your kitchen will be done and you can start using it, or just staring at it, lol! I stop myself from doing major upgrades here in the house because everything costs so much! When I sell my home, it will be 'as is'.

Almost done with inputting phone numbers. Today, I am taking the new phone and Bluetooth so my grandson can program. I am sure I can figure out how to do this, but I want my 11 y.o. GS to "help me" (wink)!

Later. Eloise

o

OK, I'm speechless, but I just had to talk to you guys. I've never done, nor expected to do anything like this in my life. One it started - buying a new cooktop which turned into having to get a new countertop, and then having to decide on type of countertop becacuse Silestone cost too much, to having to upgrade the electric, and you know the rest. But, I am so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to comlete this. I also have some wonderful friends and neighbors, and family, that have helped in one way or another, and prayed A LOT (for it to be finished more than anything). I'm also thankful that it is OVER, for now.

I'll check back in later.

Hope all are OK.

gng

o

Mary, can you post pictures?

o

Hey Jo - I will. I took a couple during install but so much was going on that I'm not sure how they will turn out. I'm totally exhausted and probably can't even absorb how to do that. I'll probably post some tomorrow - well no, not until Sunday when the faucess and cooktop will be installed. I have to wait 24hrs to hook up the faucet and the plumber can't get here until Sunday. Definitely Sunday.

Believe me, it's not a great big redo, so don't expect a whole bunch. BUT, it is just so beautiful; I couldn't even imagine it would turn out this way. Happiness is relative and subjective, and this is so much more than what so many others can do. I am just so overwhelmed with this blessing. It has been a long, long time and I know now that it was worth every hour. When the granite guys left, I was outside and I just let out a bill yell - IT'S OVER!!!

I'm trying not to preoccupy the Forum with this, especially since you all are so important to me, but today, I can't help it. I sincerely hope you guys are smiling in your worlds too!!

gng

o

Occupy the forum, girl - we are all SO PROUD of you - you are very brave to attempt all that remodeling and you have EVERY right to yell from the rooftop! It is gorgeous, I AM SURE!

o

Jo, my gosh, you are going to really make me head for the kleenex!! I've been in such awe at how beautiful it looks that I know I want to let it all out. But so far, I've been very good - no kleenex. I just so calm and at peace with the outcome.

You are so sweet - looking out for all of us. Thank you so much!! I know you have your challenges, like most of us here on this Forum, but you have been so supportive.

BTW, it's time to start a new thread - you've been pretty creative lately. How about another one. It's getting quiet again.

Oh MICHAEL - have you come up for air yet, now that today's games are over!! GO PATS! No, I'm not a Pats fan, but they're on a roll and it's kind of fun watching it sometimes - I don't like Brady, but he's a smart QB.

Eloise - how ya holding up - you're pretty quiet...

See y'all - shuteye time. I need to rest so I can clean up tomorrow and COOK in my new kitchen!

gng

o

I'm here ..watched the game....well, 95% of it anyway then took a little nap....that's why I'm here at 2 in the morning, my time....Since my Bronco's are out of it, I want to see New England win it all. (I just put the kiss of death on them,watch and see) My week from hell is hopefully over and just relaxing this weekend. I'm sure I'm ticking off some people because I just shut off my phone..I want quiet....Happy (Belated) Birthday to you, Mary!!!

o

Good morning all,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, gng! I was going to try to make one of those fancy b.d. greetings, but it takes me too much time thinking on how it works, lol!

Michael, "belated"? I thought gng's birthday was today.

I am doing just great! Been busy sewing some cushions for my grandbaby's rocking chair. My cell phone is now all setup with Bluetooth. I have to read more instructions on the various abilities of my new phone.

Think I will bake some biscotti today as I have nothing sweet to have with my coffee in the morning.

A blessed Sunday to all, Eloise

o

Michael, you will need to send me your cell number again, just in case I need to call you! LOL

Eloise, how do you get away with eating sweets - I eat them and gain weight - never used to be that way until the last year!

Mary, HAPPY BIRTHDAY - WOW, to be 39 again - how sweet that is! Hugs, ((((((Mary))))))!

o

You're right Eloise, for some reason I was thinking that Mary had said Saturday was her birthday earlier this week. After checking the GW birthday list I saw it was indeed today....guess I'm just used to being a day late and a dollar short...need to check the list more often so we don't miss anyones birthday, I guess.

Jo, I thought I gave you my cell # recently. That's all I have anymore. Gave up my landline, as I didn't see the sense in paying 2 phone bills.

o

Well, I guess you did, but it won't do me any good if you TURN IT OFF!

o

And here I have a sticky note on my monitor screen "Birthday wishes to gng - 01/16!!! Glad I peeked in tonight before closing down the computer.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GNEEGIRL

Oh, to be 39 again. No, I take that back because if I were 39 again it would mean I had a 2 year old busy getting into things. I enjoyed it then, but now I just don't have the energy.

In addition to the birthday wishes, gng, enjoy that new kitchen.

I can't seem to get by here much as I'd like, but I've just stayed so darned busy recently. No, not any special projects or remodeling jobs - just livin'.

o

Hi all - thanks for the Bday greetings!! Would you believe it was a "nothing" day - just overjoyed to have water in the kitchen now!!

I too need to check for other's birthdays - not fair to just celebrate mine! Seriously, I think they are important. We always at least recognized everyone's birthday growing up. But when I got older, I used it as a day for everyone to have fun - share, I guess. Lately it's not as much since I can't PAAARTE like I used to (thank Goodness for that - LOL).

Eloise, you have one up on me. I have a plain-ole camera phone that I don't even know how to use! Things like that used to come naturally to me, but not lately - age maybe?? No, can't be; you guys have a few on me and can do it. Don't tell me it's ME!

Why isn't the holiday tomorrow instead of next Monday!!

'nite all...

gng

o

Good evening all,

Just got back from physical therapy. There was someone else here having shoulder problems, but forgot who. Anyway, I did a few exercises, and got an elastic band to do them at home. I almost canceled because my arm (frozen right shoulder) is almost 100% better on its own, and with some help from my yoga classes, but decided to go in case they've come up with new therapy. My x-ray showed some calcification which the PT person said caused some of the pain when I move my arm a certain way. I won't make anymore appointments unless it gets worse.

gng, oh please believe me, I too am so far behind on new technology. At some point, I just resigned myself that I didn't need all the new stuff, but by next year, we will not be able to talk on a hand-held phone while driving. I don't do much of that, and lots of times I pull over to dial. I might as well be prepared when that new law kicks in next year in case I have an emergency where I had to make a call while driving. This is my first camera phone only because the model I chose came with it. When I got my previous phone, I knew I would not be taking pictures with it or text-messaging, as I most likely won't be doing with this new one.

Did I ever tell you all about the time I pretended to take a picture with my phone, although I didn't have a camera phone? Has to do with a guy doing graffiti. Don't want to repeat the story if I've already told you guys.

Jo, I get away with eating sweets sometimes because I am extremely busy five days a week with my grandbaby, lol! All day, I am up and down on the floor playing with blocks and other toys, crawling around, tumbling, etc., playing peek-a-boo from room to room, I take her for long walks (she's in the stroller), and run after her outdoors. She very active and prefers running instead of walking. When she naps, I straighten around the house, wash clothes, etc., just to keep myself busy. At home I clean, try to work out in the yard, do some exercise with a dvd, go shopping, etc. Then, there are some days (weekend) when I just vegetate, lol!

Gerry, do tell. Are you very busy lately because of that old love that came back into your life? Sure hope so!

Have to start reading the DMV manual to renew my driver's license in February. It has been 10 years since I've had to do that and am not looking forward to it. I downloaded the manual, but it's too many pages so haven't printed it out. I went by a DMV not too far from my home to get a copy of the manual, but it was closed. I mean closed permanently, rats!

Later.

o

Hope your shoulder problems stay at a minumum Eloise, I know that pain oh so well....mine has abated for a year or so and hope it continues...I was worried about calcification just because I have done mostly physical labor all my life.

Mary, I have a camera phone and it's ok in decent in great light situations and that's about it. Was on a job the other day where a squirrel had buried himself and died in a flue vent on a furnace. Phone cam didn't do it justice. Now I am carrying my 4 megapixel with me so I don't miss a dandy like that again.

Jo, I had my phone off for one evening...haven't heard from ya in all the other days it was on.

o

Oh, Michael - you will, you WILL!

o

Eloise - you sound like my sister with her 18mo old granddaughter!! It is so funny listening to her tell me about the day. Now she calls me to tell me that I need to watch one episode or the other of the Backyardigans!! My niece runs like none other, except her dad. I kept him when he was a baby and boy did I get my exercise chasing after him.

I just renewed my DL but only had to do the eye test. I had to take the written test a while back and almost failed it! I took my nephew to get his Lerner's permit and missed 3 questions. He passed with flying colors. I would rather have taken the road test. If I had to take the writtent test today, I'd be in trouble.

When I finally get my camera, I'd like to have it with me for "those moments" too. Those are the best shots. Maybe soon - when the kitchen is finally finished. I found out yesterday that my neighbor that is doing the rest of the work had to have his 16yr old daughter rushed by ambulance to the hospital. When he came home form work he found her on the floor unable to move. She had probably been laying there all day. She had called her Dad earlier and left a garbled message. They coulnd't find anything but she is supposed to go to another Dr. today. I hope she is alright - sweet girl. He is a single dad and really worries that he is being a good father. I'd hate it something really went wrong with her. So, my kitchen work is on the back burner for a while. I just want to see his daughter OK. I'm saying prayers...

o

Thanks Michael. Years ago, I injured my left shoulder and it took a long time to heal, mostly because I didn't go to the doc right away. I kept thinking the pain was going to go away. With that shoulder, at least I had a reason; I had cut down a rubber plant tree in the back yard and had sawed and pulled until it was trimmed of all the branches that had gotten burnt with the cold. I suppose there is a reason for the injured right shoulder as well. I used to run (for exercise) and one morning when I was running around 3 AM, I cut a corner too close and didn't realized there was a sprinkler head sticking out. I went down hard on the sidewalk and thought for sure I had fractured my knee. Thank God I didn't, possibly because I was taking lots of vitamins and minerals to keep up with my daily run. I kept thinking that when I got older, I would start to feel the aches and pain from that fall, but so far so good. We certainly are in a catch 22. If we are active, we wear out our bodies, if we are not active, it deteriorates!

gng, I love being a grandma! Yesterday, I laughed so hard because my grandbaby (16 mos) kept stealing a tennis ball from their shih tzu. The dog would run after her and you could see the look on my GB's face when she ran towards me to pick her up. You know that feeling when someone is going to catch you. Then she would throw the ball down and go back to taking the ball. Sometimes she would pat the dog and say nice, nice, then would steal the ball. At the end, the dog was pooped, but not my GB. I had to put the dog out in the back yard to rest, lol!

I pray your neighbor's daughter is fine and that it was only something minor that made her faint. You are so right that your kitchen can wait. I could see if you had hired a company to do the work, but your neighbor whom you know, would be hard to expect the work completed considering what is going on with his family.

I keep putting off trying to get that stupid DMV manual - agh!

A grand day to all.

o

Any updates on your neighbors daughter, Mary?.....I hope she is ok.

o

I can't believe this thread hasn't been kiboshed yet.

o

Is there something wrong with this thread - am I missing something?

o

I assume that JYG is referring to the original 100 post rule that we all expected on the last Coffee Shop thread....could be mistaken though.

o

Only 8 posts to go, then the onus is on someone to start Coffee Shop IV

o
duh

VI...duhhhhhh...always was bad at French

o
had to do it...and now, to bed.

VII posts to go.

o

Hi all - just checking in. I'm kinda wiped out - probabaly a sinus infection. I go to the Dr. on Monday. Went to the Ortho today for my knee and got THE SHOT! It is NO HELP!! I feel awful and my knee hurts worse. So, I'm not much company tonight, but I wanted to check in and say Hi. (sorry for the pity party, but I'll be better tomorrow - drinking lots of water)

Not sure what number we are on, but I'm sure we're close just from looking at the scroll bar. What was it before - 150???

Michael, hope you are feeling better. Everyone, hope you're doing OK as well.

Oh, BTW, my neighbor's daughter seems to be OK. She went to the Dr yesterday. Her dad called as said they think it was exhaustion but he's running more test. She goes back in two weeks unless something else happens. They were so thankful for my support - although I did nothing more that be a good neighbor, and listen, that they sent a plate (good) food for dinner last night. They are truly special and I'm glad to have them as neighbors.

See ya guys!

gng

o

Oh, Gnee, I am so sorry for your pain - if I was nearby, I would massage it for you. I know a sinus infection is no picnic, either - gosh, girl - you are falling apart on us!

o

I am the 147th poster, unless someone else is posting at the same time I am!!

gng, soon you will be back 100%. It's no fun when you go to the doctor for help and come back feeling worst!

I am so happy to hear your neighbor's daughter is fine. It truly is a blessing when you end up with great neighbors -- I don't have any good neighbors myself. I have met more neighbors at my DD's then here where I live. Neighbors to the right and in front -- don't even want to know; neighbor to the left - a young couple with a child and they are always gone.

Later.

o

Good morning, everyone! It's another single-digit temperate day here in KCMO, but hey - it's not snowing, so I'm counting my blessings.

Today is laundry and spiffing-up-the-house day, which I don't mind. I am still dealing with the head cold - yuk. I did sleep throught the night, so am thankful for that. I hope everyone has a truely great day!

o

Down to the next to last post....didn't go to work again today, was still running a fever and had strange dreams during the night....like getting sent off hundreds of miles a way to do my job. Woke up this morning feeling like I had already put in a full 8 hrs, called in and went back to bed and slept until almost 10...I NEVER do that. 2 days to get this bug out of my system, then back to reality on Monday.

o

Oh my Jo and Michael, I didn't know both of you were sick as well? I really hope you two will be 100% soon. Knock on wood, so far so good for me considering two of my GKs and SIL had been sick. I have been very fortunate my entire life that I normally don't catch colds and have had the flu only once. Of course, I have other aches and pains.

Michael, you don't have Monday off? Here, most places closed for ML King. We are having a bbq at my DD's.

Jo, I've been meaning to ask, when you move to FL, is your step son going with you?

Saturday, and hopefully I will stay home and do some stuff around here. I get restless and then take off to the stores or nurseries (plants). Most likely it is out of boredom not restlessnes, lol!

I haven't checked my email yet because I don't want to start my day with bad news. My aunt (mom's sister) is in hospice care and mom was going to see her yesterday. My aunt is in her late 80s (bless her), and got cancer about a year ago. My cousins took her to the doctor a week ago with jaundice, and they found out the cancer had spread to her pancreas. I already told mom I would not be coming to AZ when my aunt passes. She knows I can't deal with death/funerals as the pain becomes mine.

Hope everyone else is safe from the bug.

Eloise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here