Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

renaging on parental responsabilities order

Posted by cattie25 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 15:56

Hello there,
I'm after some advice please.
I live in Scotland and had my 2 girls in 1995 and 1998. I was not married to their father and we separated in late 1998.
In September 2003 we signed the equal parental responsibilities order.
Since 2004 he has nothing to do with his children on any level and i would go as far as to say he has been quite cruel when they have attempted to have contact with him.
He pays no maintenance.
Can i take him to court for failing in his duties as a father?
Can i take him to court to remove him from the order?
It seems crazy that he can renage to the detriment of his children.
All advice would be gratefully received.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: renaging on parental responsabilities order

You need to visit with a family attorney in Scotland - we wouldn't have an idea about the laws in Scotland.

RE: renaging on parental responsabilities order

See a family-law attorney where you live in Scotland. You won't learn anything here worth knowing.

RE: renaging on parental responsabilities order

Since I have no idea about Scottish law, I'm not going to offer any legal advice; however, I will say one thing -- Why would you want HIM to have a relationship or contact with your daughters??? You said he has had NOTHING to do with them since 2004, and he has been "quite cruel" when they have attempted to contact him. He is a cold, abusive father and your daughters deserve far better than that! If you need his financial assistance (child support), then yes, you should seek legal advice so he is forced to fulfill his parental responsibilities (financially). However, if you can manage without his financial assistance, you should keep a person like him away from your daughters. Your children are your top priority, and you must protect them! Do not allow their father to mentally and emotionally abuse them.

If you'd like to discuss more about this, let me know. I hope you have a support (emotional) system in place, such as family and friends who have a great deal of common sense, which is something many people seem to lack.

Best wishes to you and your daughters!

RE: renaging on parental responsabilities order

Over here, we have organizations, the largest of which is called Big Brothers (and Big Sisters) where you can go and sign up to have people who are checked out to be 'honorable', come and see your children for a few hours a week. They play, take them on outings, etc., and generally become "more" family (plus giving you a break as well), and it's free. Do you know of any such orgs. over there that could help out?

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here