Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Fun and Free Singles site

Posted by kayjones (plant_lady2@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 17:16

If you want to meet folks in your area to hang out with or email or whatever, go to PLENTYoffish.coX. Replace the 'X' with an 'm'. I have met some really fun people on this site, whom I chat with regularly. It costs NOTHING to use the site.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Fun and Free Singles site

Oh Kay, I tried POF way back when. It was bottom fishing for me! But everyone has different experiences.

o

Since I am not looking for anyone to date, I don't have any expectations. It's fun to read the profiles, request pictures, then sit and shake my head. How can someone post that they are slender or average, then send a picture where they look 9 months pregnant? Some even post a picture with their ex! It's just a hoot. Another good place to read personals ads is craigslist.org - some unbelievable stuff on there! LOL

o

It's great to be so superior. Yea, have no sign of being fifty plus. Because you are so honest?

These posts are like dealing with a cat in heat.

It has been constant begging. I wish you would take your own advice from previous posts from you - especialy about self esteem. But no, it's all about you. Until you get relief, we will continue to hear your desparate search...six months after a husband.. you don't waste anytime....

o

Yes, single sites can be a form of entertainment. I had my fill long ago. I won't say there aren't very nice people there and I met a few very nice men who became friends. A few. The singles sites cut a wide swath.

o

Ouch, Walksalone. If you have personal issues with Kay, it might be better to take it off the forum.

o

Barnmom, I don't know walksalone at all - there is no offense taken by me - her screen name says it all. I really appreciate your concern, Barnmom, but I think the post has gotten all the recognition is deserves.

o

I've been on a couple of free dating sites. I met some nice guys, but none for me. Got some interesting pictures of the lower half of male anatomies. Learned not to open emails while eating, after spitting my coffee all over my keyboard and having to buy a new one.

I got into a relationship for a couple of years, then went back to the same sites, and guess what? The same people, men and women, were STILL there, with the SAME pics, and same profiles. I wonder how old they actually are now, and what they look like. One man had a very nice picture of himself, very handsome, slender. We talked a few times, never could get together because of whatever. I looked at his profile out of curiosity the other day, and he has new pics...about 50 lbs. heavier. At least he's honest about posting current pics, no matter how they look.

I did meet one man and date him awhile. It wasn't a love match, but we're still close friends, and always will be.

All in all, though, it was just a strange experience, and one I don't wish to repeat.

o

Junkyardgirl, I have checked out several free sites, and those same people are on all the sites. I belong to POF because I enjoy talking to people. I did meet a nice man, quite nice looking and popular, who I went on a hike with, but other than that, I just email them a couple of times, find out I'm not really interested in them, and that's that. I was finally able to shake a 50-yr. old man who was bugging me for awhile - that's just too young for me.

A few years ago, I actually had a brief relationship with someone I met right here on Gardenweb. It was delightful and great memories were made - it didn't work out, but I still consider him one of my 'best friends' to this day.

It is sad to see so many people spending their lives alone - there are others to get involved with if you'll put yourself out there.

o

Kay, you should try one of the POF get togethers. I've never been, but I know people who have, and they seem like fun.

I like the forums there. It's a great place to discuss relationships, but I'll warn you, the posts you place show up on your profile, so be careful what you say, or you could scare off potential suitors. One man wrote me to say that he was going to write and ask to meet me, but he saw on a forum post that I said I wasn't going to ever live with anyone again before marriage, and he thought living together was essential to getting to know each other. BULL!! Why buy a cow when you can get the milk for free?

o

I have only said generic things on a couple of threads - I normally don't post unless I feel strongly about the topic or feel as comfortable with the people as I do here.

I have had offers to meet guys on POF and actually did meet one, but that's it. I am looking for email buddys and they are looking for other type buddies - they are NOT looking for a real relationship! LOL

o

LOL Yeah, I had a few of those too. They get really crude really quickly, so at least you know what they want, and can say no and block them. Anytime someone new joins, they call them "fresh meat", because they vultures are on them before they can even post sometimes! I got an email 15 seconds after my profile posted! Desperation is not a pretty thing. Now I just have a profile for the forums, and it's hidden, with nothing on it but a message saying I'm only there for the forums.

o

What site are you referring to, junk? If it is the POF site, where do I hide my profile?

o

If you are looking for another free site to check out, I much preferred okcupid.com to POF. It seems to attract a smart crowd and there are fun tests to take.

o

I will check it out - thanks. I doubt there is a site where the subscribers want an old lady, like me, who is wanting an old man to just 'hang out' with! LOL

o

You'd be surprised! OKCupid cuts a very wide swath. Yes, there are a lot of young people but that's the case on all sites. We older folks are harder to find on all singles sites.

o

I realize there are lonely people, just my speed, right in my neighborhood, but they are hard to find - they tend to stay indoors and play on the computer, just as I do! LOL

o

I take my laptop and work and socialize at a caf downtown. As a self-employed artist I tend to become rather isolated. Here I have a large and varied group of friends: teachers, students, artists, actors, musicians, writers, professionals, hangers-on, et al. It's a good hang out. I don't come in the evenings for music, by then I'm ready for my comforter and a glass of wine at home.

Here is a link to an employee's Myspace page about the caf and the main website (which hasn't been updated in ages).

Warning: the Myspace page is a slow load, it's image heavy.

http://queenbeancoffee.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Bean Myspace Page

o

Oh, I loved that site - which one is you?

o

I'd be surprised to find my photo there. Though I have spent a lot of time there, I don't recall having my photo taken. I took a few months off when I worked out of town as a consultant and I think the photos were taken then. If I'm there, I'm the one who looks like everyone's mom over in the corner with a Mac. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here