Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Condo, House, Apartment? Where do you live?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 14:01

I'm a SF, 50, and am moving (for several reasons) from my current home. I'd debating whether to move into another single family home or condo. Just wondering -- where do singles live? Condo, house, apartment, or?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Condo, House, Apartment? Where do you live?

I live in a house on 6 acres outside of town. If you are a social animal, then I wouldn't recommend it. I personally love my alone time so this doesn't bother me. I've also found that, with most people working now, even a single family house in town can be isolating. So, if you want to make new friends and socialize more, then, an apartment or condo would be better. (I would probably still be reclusive in that setting and a more outgoing person could still be so in a house in or out of town but personally I would hate to be driving all those miles just to visit with friends and socialize.) All in all, it depends on where you are most comfortable. I'm just guessing but I would bet more singles live in apartments or condos than in single family houses. Apartment complexes and condos have recreation areas and opportunities to mix whereas that is not available elsewhere.

o

are you looking to be around other single people or are you just curious how all us other singles live?

I personally live in my own single family home. It took 7 years of living in the same apartment alone/with daughter after my divorce before i could afford to buy my own home. I chose a home over a condo or townhome because I couldnt justify paying the constantly increasing homeowners association fees that go along with almost all the townhomes/condos in this city. Plus, I have a yard which I can garden in and entertain in.

I love living in my own house, and I love living alone!

o

I live in a 3/2 house with a pool. My daughter is still at home. Frankly, I'd be happy in a townhouse. I find the yard and pool and maintenance more than I want to deal with.

o

For over 20 years I was in a partnership of a trailer court. 6 months before my separation, purchased a nice sized mobile home and used three lots of it, while selling off the rest less than a year later. I by no means live in style, though I could call some of the potholes my swimming pool. It's all paid for and it's so nice not to have a mortgage or rent expense. 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths is perfect for me and occasional company. Dread the mowing, but if I want to find my horseshoes, I have to do it. :)

o

I have a 3 bdrm, 1 1/2 bath home with pool (although now emptied as it developed a crack). My lot is slightly under 10k sq ft. My home was on the market for six months, and I finally took it off. I will re-list around March or April. I love the space I have now, but find it hard to maintain as I am gone all week long. I hope to buy a home on a smaller lot, but not too small. I never plan to live in an apartment or condo as I don't want neighbors that close to me, and I love the privacy of my own yard.

o

I'm a 50 yr old SM with my two teenagers living with me. We're in a 3BR ranch, 2 baths on 2 acres just outside of the city limits. Best of both worlds - my next door neighbors also have a couple of acres but shopping, church and work are 5-10 minutes away.

I couldn't live in a condo or apt. complex - I'd be too close to everyone else and surely someone would make fun of my Buzz Lightyear jammie pants when I walked to the end of the driveway to get the paper in the morning.

I found apartments much more isolating than single family homes but YMMV. I love my yard, trees and even the deer that eat my garden down to the roots every year.

o

I'm a 50 yr old SM with my two teenagers living with me. We're in a 3BR ranch, 2 baths on 2 acres just outside of the city limits. Best of both worlds - my next door neighbors also have a couple of acres but shopping, church and work are 5-10 minutes away.

I couldn't live in a condo or apt. complex - I'd be too close to everyone else and surely someone would make fun of my Buzz Lightyear jammie pants when I walked to the end of the driveway to get the paper in the morning.

I found apartments much more isolating than single family homes but YMMV. I love my yard, trees and even the deer that eat my garden down to the roots every year.

o

When I was separated I lived in a 1bd apt but could't find a place to hide from me. Then I moved to a 2bd but still hated it. I bought a small bungalow - 913sf. I sold that to buy a 3/2 1860sf ranch with a little more than avg lot. It's a nice house - everyone loves it but me. I have great neighbors but would love a little more privacy. Will probably stay here for another 2 years and then decide if I want to move. Getting too old to do a lot of maintenance - it's been hard taking care of this house. Hopefully I'll find something with the privacy and also low maintenance. That will take some research though...

o

After the death of my husband this past spring, I sold our home and am now living (with my stepson and dog) in a 1,000 sq. ft. ranch-style house, which we rent. I plan to move to Florida this fall, will rent a house for one year, but will ultimately buy a small ranch-style house, because I don't want the noise of an apartment or condo setting. I DO want the yard to grow my plants in. I am good with living in isolation or not - I make friends easily, but my plants and my dog are my best friends! LOL

o

Built a home ten years ago. About 4000 sq ft under the roof so I sometimes wish I had built smaller. A few miles from a small town and eight miles from the bar. Endless garden space but also herds of deer that love garden vegtables. Probably moving on in a couple years. I work in the Michigan auto industry which is about to take another giant contraction. Only a matter of time until I'm out of a job.

o

Bunnyman, come to Florida with me - "Won't You Be My Neighbor"!

o

I live in a 1300 sf house, on a 1/4 acre lot. I wish I could have more space between me and the neighbors, but I'm planning on planting hedges and fruit trees, and trellising grapes as privacy hedges. I love the house, the layout and all, but it's a bit much to take care of by myself, what with all the repairs that need to be done. If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't buy a house, but rent a smaller one.

o

Hi, everyone! My youngest son has come up with the perfect solution for me: spend the summers in Florida, so I can be near the Grandkids and the rest of the time living with him in Las Vegas - hmmmmmmm, what a great idea NOT! LOL I want him to reunite with his kids, so that's not a viable plan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here