SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Does it bother you to spend the holidays....

Kathsgrdn
19 years ago

with friends and their families? A couple years ago, my friend and neighbor invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her family at her house. Her dad, step-mother, brother and his girlfriend were there along with her two kids. My kids were with their dad and his girlfriend that year. I went, but when her brother came in, he said "I thought it was going to be just us?". He ate and then spent the rest of the evening in the livingroom, while the rest of us talked at the table. I went home and decided I would never go back to one of their or anyone else's family dinners. I felt like an intruder. She invited me last year to either Xmas or Thanksgiving out at her dad's and I declined.

This year another friend invited me to her family get-together and I declined again. I know her parents and sister a little bit but there will be other people I don't know and I would feel really uncomfortable.

Years ago when I was single, a young couple invited me to Thanksgiving dinner. They had two little girls and had another young couple there with no kids. I felt uncomfortable then too. I don't think the one woman liked me being there at all.

Right in the middle of my divorce, I went to see an old friend of mine. It was right before the 4th of July. She was having a big bbq with her whole family and their kids. I was planning on staying but was in a lot of pain, and decided I couldn't stand to be in the middle of a big happy family right then, so I left early and went home. I've known her family for years, though...and have since gone back and had another bbq dinner with them all.

Does being single or divorced keep you away from big family-type get-togethers with friends? If I was married and my kids had gone with me, I think I would feel differently.

Comments (5)

Sponsored