SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

Coffee? Maybe On topic

candler
19 years ago

Good Morning. I'm 70, widowed, and no close lady friends. I suppose I qualify for Singles do I not. First, I had a short lived email acquaintence with someone who worked at Vanderbilt University. I don't care to revive it but if she's reading I want to say hello. Next, I posted a note under Beverages that reads "Coffee or Coffee Maker For Good Coffee?". It's been about a week with no response. I drink a couple of cups every morning. Maxwellhouse French Roast - Mr. Coffee 10 cup maker. It's acceptable but I've been places that makes it a lot better than I. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? (Greetings from Western North Carolina)

Comments (86)

• joulesR4me
    18 years ago

Hey Candler/Gene (???) - glad someone else saw that show! And nope, not me featured ... though I'm every bit as attractive :-) I did, however, get involved with placing the TRK (Tile Repair Kit) into the shuttle. The contents table lists mixer gun, foam brushes, and plugs -- so the show must have been very accurate. But wow, wouldn't it be nice to be involved in development! Most of what I do here are repairs and stowage for flight. Sometimes that's enough, but it hasn't been lately ... thus, my return to school.
    We used to have a guy here that we called "the bobber". Short & round, always wore white collared shirts tucked into black pants with a belt --- resembled a fishing bobber. He had a miata and would don his black leather driving gloves before leaving the parking lot. What a guy - but climbed the ladder right outta here!

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Helen, Kerri, Joules, et al. Joules, did I read you were thinking of dropping THS? I like people who add life to these forums. I suppose I'm jealous but what should one expect from a 71 year old widower. My time expires this month and I'll renew. I'll do the same for you if you wish. Just let me know. Kerri, there's a few Starbucks in Asheville and I live about 15 miles out. I rarely go to their locations but will stop in one day mostly to browse. I hope you're enjoying your place and all that comes with home ownership. Sometimes one gets a good feeling handling matters independently. Karen, I hope you and the high rise are compatible. I'm sorry the gardening area is rather small. I imagine the trips you take are more enjoyable than before your move. As for my potential Miata I live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and not too far from its highest section (6000+ ft). This will be a fun early evening drive, I think. QUESTION. I prefer something sweet with my coffee. It started 15 years ago when I gave up smoking. Has anyone found something decent, but no sugar, that seems to taste pretty good as one is having coffee? Thanks, Gene. P.S. Joules, Candler is a community outside Asheville. In my working days coworkers sometimes would call me that. I go by Gene. Regards.

• Related Discussions

Bean? Maybe a coffee bean? He was Japanese, if that helps.

Q

Comments (3)
    Castor plant seeds. Highly toxic as seeds and plants. The plants are wonderfully ornamental and add a tropicalesque beauty to the garden. The plants are also purported to repel moles.
    ...See More

Cooking odors/off topic

Q

Comments (9)
    I also like the smell of fresh ground coffe beans, but don'y like coffee to drink. My dad used to know people who made coffee for resturants, and we used to visit every Saturday and I would go out to the store hous where they kept all the raw beans. They had these small 2 pound roasters there too. I would make my own blends from bout 10 different choices of beans. The beans were never ground until coffe was made, so one Christmas I bought my parents a Kitchen Aide coffee grinder. They don't make them anymore, but the unit did do a great job grinding beans. Grandmas house smelled of breads, both rye and sour dough, and also hermits and other things like donuts. Dreams of the old place are still with me as I have some a few times a month. In the summertime, the house had a strong smell of garlic and dill, coming from the big half sour pickle jar.
    ...See More

I'm back!!! (off-topic)

Q

Comments (5)
    I hope that the Club P Disney World 2010 event will draw some other pool builders from the forum. I'd love to meet some of you guys and girls, in person, in an element where you can just take your shoes off and enjoy each others company. Note to all builders, If you utilize the Polaris/Jandy product and save the points you'll never regret a Club P affair. I've been to a ton of them and have always had a fantastic time. No matter where we go we're in a great resort and treated like royalty. They spare no expense on the trip for their dealers. What I love is the fact that I get to ride locations I'd of never ridden in my life if I was footing the bill. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

Off Topic...Yum Cake

Q

Comments (19)
    @enduring, I'd use maybe 2 envelopes/packets for a Dishwasher. And I'd say.. 5 for a Front Loader. I'd put the powder directly in the drum, on the hottest & longest cycle possible. But.. the reason this works, is the Lemon (and only use the lemon) packets contain Citrates which will descale your appliance. If you want.. you could also add a tablespoon of OxiClean.. for even better results. You probably won't find this advice in a Miele Manual, but it'll certainly work in a pinch, and it'll do a very good job. :)
    ...See More
  • sienna_98
    18 years ago

I think you've got me on that one Gene. I, too, need something sweet with my coffee. I never smoked, but my dad worked for Nabisco and we always had sweets around the house. To keep the calories down, I usually nibble on a biscotti with my coffee, but I'm having trouble thinking of something that's sugar free. My best suggestion would be some of the less acidic fruits like pear or mango or baked apple (I really like a Golden Delicious apple sliced up and cooked in the microwave for about 2 minutes -- no sugar needed!). Or you could always try the sugarfree chocolates.

I know Starbucks gets a bit of a bad rap because it has grown into a large chain, but most of the ones in my area are staffed by very friendly barristas. Somedays it reminds me of the television program Cheers, as most of the staff know my 'usual' (I'm a diehard coffee drinker - 2 shots of espresso w/ a little foam on top) and several know me by name. Anway, I'm sure they'll be helpful and more than happy to answer your questions.

I'm definitely enjoying home ownership (or at least the nice big yard!). I have a major project in front of me that I've been putting off. The original owners liked wallpaper and for some bizarre reason, the builder adhered the paper directly onto the drywall, which I discovered after I started trying to scrape it off. I guess I need to get over to one of the remodeling forums and figure out if there is an easier, less damaging way to remove this paper. Ugh.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Kerri

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

"I know Starbucks gets a bit of a bad rap because it has grown into a large chain..."

No kidding! Some people talk about Starbucks as if it were diseased! lol You know what I say? Use it right back! I bought shares of stock in SBUX right after they went public in 1992. BEST investment I ever made. It has split at least four times -- probably lots more -- since then. And the potential for growth is still opening up.

No company is perfect. Arguments could be made against Starbucks for not pursuing enough free trade, for organic vs. non-organic, etc. But you have to pick your battles in everything. I've chosen to invest in a company whose bottom line is sound and still on the upswing. It's my little coffee-colored nest egg. :o)

Karen

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Karen, obviously I don't have any problems with Starbucks. I think it's the classic American success story. Why that upsets some people I don't know.

Congratulations on the wise investment.

Kerri

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well - a couple of things. I just realized that my THS anniversary date is in February and not May. I had it confused with a local on-line classified newspaper subscription. Let's see - Oh yea! We call them senior moments. The other is being presumptious about Joules leaving. I was only trying to be decent. Maybe we older folks should think a little more before offering to help. I tried to send her a note through THS and it's no longer valid. If she's gone I hope it was not because of me. Anyway, my current coffee is Summit Timor organic. It's not bad. I've had it for three days and it'll take longer than that for a good judgement. Also, I need to replenish my bottled water so I can try it with something other than from my well. It often shows a different taste and could enhance or detract from my opinion. I'm glad Starbucks did well for you, Karen. I've never heard anyone speak badly of them. From what few times I've been in one of their places everyone seemed to enjoy being there. I wish I had one closer. Kerri, I'm still working on finding something no fat and no sugar to go with coffee. Your suggestions are good and I may give them a try. Regards to all, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Gene, the parent site for the Single Life forum has been having some kind of technical problem for the last several days. That may be why your e-mail to Joules didn't go through. Not to worry. Tides always ebb and flow on the 'net. :o)

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning, All. My coffee trials have been going on for six months or more. I've come to several conclusions and close to others. Not having someone to discuss the process is a big drawback. Also, not having someone to help consume the coffee lengthens the trial. These days I can hardly wait to try something different. I'm from the depression era and reluctant to waste anything so I finish a bag before starting another. I know I've only touched the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Although it will create more expense I think I'll start buying small samplers when I find them. I guess they contain enough coffee to make a judgement of some type. I hope everyone's summer is starting well. It's pleasant in the Western N.C. mountains. Well, maybe except for keeping up a mountain log house I built as a second home and decided to sale (sale fell through) and doing a lot of mowing. I hope the foregoing does relate to the single life. The kids are busy with their lives and guess who is left. Regards, Gene

• bunnyman
    18 years ago

Good Morning Gene!

I've found I like frequently switching types of coffee. Each is different and entertains me for a time. I had a bag of Starbucks once that was some of the best coffee I've ever had in my life. Alas, after buying the same type over and over again it never reached the exotic flavor of the first bag so I have not bought SB coffee in a couple years.

No kids here just another weekend in the factory working.

: )
    michael

• Wings2W
    18 years ago

My niece works at SB and I have received it for Christmas.

I enjoy my coffee but not as much as the rest I suppose. I don't care for the flavored types. I do buy other brands, grind them, and mix them with my regular coffee (morning blend). It's enough of a perk for me.

SB gives away their used coffee grounds. They're good for the garden. : )

Wings

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Gene, the coffee samplers are a FAB idea! You get to try lots of different blends & varietals without spending a fortune. Lots of coffee places offer teensy, vacuum-packed samples of their most popular coffees. Millstone is a popular coffee brand carried by many grocery store chains. You should be able to find sampler sizes of their coffees. In your area I would suggest you try Target, Winn Dixie or Food Lion.

Also, I wouldn't worry about wasting any of those beans. I currently have four different kinds in my freezer, and I usually keep six or more! Whole beans will last a good long time if you keep them in your freezer, in an airtight container, and only take out as much as you need, when you need it. I know they'll tell you differently if you ask an employee of one of those coffee places. But the truth for me is, I've been keeping beans using this method for nearly 15 years and it WORKS!

I'm loving these posts about your coffee adventures. Keep 'em comin'!

Karen

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Morning all!

Gene, you said you've reached some conclusions, tell us! I know you like the Sumatra. Are there any others you've discovered that you really like/dislike? How are you brewing your coffee these days?

Summer is heating up here. We were fortunate enough to get rain over the holiday weekend, but we will be back in the 90's this week. I'm going to D.C. for my brother's wedding next weekend which should be interesting. My other brother and my sister just met the fiance this past weekend. My Dad and I haven't met her yet (whirlwind romance). I like to visit D.C. and it even sounds like it'll be cool -- at least compared to the 90's!

Much as I love living in Texas, summer is my least favorite time to be here and generally I just count down the days until fall. ;)

Hope you all have a good week!

Kerri

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

"Summer is heating up here."

Which reminds me...Gene, we've got to get you to try an iced Americano. Throw in a little splash of cream and it's pure heaven in a glass.

And in case anyone is beginning to wonder, I DO have other interests in life. lolol! But since this is a coffee thread, I'm still talkin' coffee. :o)

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning (Saturday), Karen, Kerri, Michael, Wing, and others. For years I drank Maxwellhouse French Roast. It was very acceptable. I wasn't into my coffee trials and didn't know switching coffees would be fun, as Michael said. So far I checked one supermarket's sampler packages. All were the flavored which I'm not trying at this time. There's more supermarket chains and about a half dozen gourmet places I'll eventually check. I'm still on Summit's Timor organic. It reminds me a little of Starbuck's (single origin)Summatra. I think I need to take Karen's advice and not worry about using the same type of bean so quickly. I keep them double bagged in the freezer so odor shouldn't penetrate, should it? At two morning cups and one late afternoon cup it takes a month to six weeks to consume a bag. If I were to switch between two I would have those beans in the freezer two to three months (double bagged of course). Would that be too long? I have an unopened Summit Organic House Blend and I think I'll start switching between this evening. Kerri, you must enjoy traveling. I envy you. I think I'd like to travel but don't seem to have time. My sister went into a nursing home; my brother and I bought her house (for rental) and acreage; and he lives in Colorado. So guess whose left to redo the house; keep it mowed; find a tenant;and so on and so on. Iced Americano? If I were a drinker I'd hope it contained alcohol. For some reason I doubt it. It sounds good but anything coffee flavored seems foreign if not hot. How does one make this, Karen? I'd like to give it a shot. I suppose Tuesday I'll head for Ft Myers for a week and to pick up the Miata. There's a fast ship that goes from Ft Myers to Key West; stays five hours; and return the same evening. I've never been to Key West so that should be an interesting trip. I didn't see the Edison house and museum my only other trip (year's ago) to Ft Myers. It's a must do. While there I'll look for coffee samplers, too. I watched a movie (Lady of the Lake, or something like that). She was giving advice to Merlin on how to handle a semi evil sorceress. She said "When we're forgotten we cease to exist". That would certainly start a platonic discussion, huh. Best regards, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Gene, a quick response to your question about how long to keep beans in the freezer (and then I've gotta hit the road -- when you're self-employed there's no such thing as days off).

I've still got a bag of Jamaican coffee beans that somebody gave me for Christmas. So IMO you don't need to worry about how long they'll last.

Double bagged? Hey, there's lots worse things a freezer could smell like than coffee! :o)

Off to work, back later......

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello, Everyone - Karen, this may be a little early but HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I sincerely hope it is one of your best and I wish for you nothing but better ones in the future.

I'm taking a laptop to Florida but have never tried accessing an ISP from anywhere other than home. So, I thought I'd better say it now. Sure shows a lot of computer savvy, huh.

I thought when you moved to the highrise you were retired. Maybe that was wishful thinking for you. Self employed? I'd like to hear about it sometime. I worked for the other person for most of my years but did consulting afterwards. I wasn't conditioned for the stress of self employment. Whether it caused a few medical problems I don't know. I heard someone say that one cannot make any money working for the other guy. That's probably true. I hope you can turn the work off at the end of the day. I couldn't.

Best regards, Gene

• bunnyman
    18 years ago

Just got a couple pounds of the good stuff from Renee. Nice fresh Costa Rican Terrazu and some Ethiopian Harrar. Nothing like having a friend in the coffee roasting business. Soon as I popped open the Priority Mail box the whole kitchen lit up with the smell of real coffee.

michael

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Michael -- Now, that is a true friend! ;) I haven't tried the Costa Rican, but I do like Ethiopian Harrar -- very smooth.

Gene -- I hope you are safely back from your trip and are enjoying the Miata. How was Key West? Did you visit Hemingway's place?

I had similar experience to yours when I was self-employed. I find I have a lot more 'free' time working for someone else as I can shut it off when I leave the office and never take it home. That is worth a lot to me. My current employment is less challenging, but it leaves me with the time and energy to pursue my hobbies.

I am fortunate to do some traveling. Hopefully that will increase soon as I now get a 3rd week of vacation. This year has been rather tame. I went to a conference in El Paso (with a fun side trip to New Mexico), just came back from my brother's wedding in D.C. (stayed at a great hotel that had Starbucks on one side and a book store on the other! -- my idea of heaven. ;)). I'll probably visit my Dad in Gulf Shores late summer/ early fall. Next year will be a little more adventurous as I have a conference in England, but with the current exchange rate, it's going to be rather pricey, which limits how long I can stay. Fortunately I went to school there and have already hit the major tourist destinations, but I can't be that close to Ireland and not visit family. Darn. ;)

Kerri

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Kerri, Michael, Karen, Wings, and Others. I didn't make it to Key West. It's strange how one can become conditioned to things. Although I could have stayed there a month or more (brother's house) I had mentally set seven days for the trip. It takes +/- 14 hours driving from Asheville (NC) to Ft Myers (Fl). The next day one only feels like hanging out at the pool, canal, watching TV, or whatever. The next day was touring Thomas Edison's museum/lab/home and seeing the area. The next two was visiting my favorite niece. The next I did some work on the house. The next I came back. I hope to get back in November and maybe I can get to Key West then. The Miata (bright red) is fun to drive and made it back just fine. My daughter drove it all the way back. Claimed it fit her better than my Blazer. Now that I'm back nothing but mowing. I'm going to the mountain place in a hour or so. I hope the mower won't bog down. Michael, I envy you having your own personal coffee contact. Does your friend have a web site from where he sells coffee? I'm trying to make it through Summit's Organic House Blend. I've been drinking so much robust coffee that regular just doesn't cut it. I have to add more coffee to get enough kick flavor. Kerri, I almost have the urge to say "Can I go, too?". It sounds that you are traveling enough to tolerate being a company person. If misery loves company I'm kinda glad you mentioned that you, too, couldn't cut the job off at the end of the day. I thought it may have just been me. I'm glad you're enjoying your trips. I have some weeks banked with RCI. I tried to book a week Gulf Shores a few months back. Apparently RCI didn't know the two RCI places there were still under repair from last year's hurricanes. I had called and didn't get answers. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and hope we'll all continue. I wish everyone well and hope it's a fun summer. Best regards, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Ethiopia Harrar is a most excellent coffee. My all-time favorite, in fact. The flavor is said to resemble blueberries. I don't taste blueberries. But Harrar IS very distinctive. Of course, the price point is commensurate with its singular taste. lol I get my Harrar from Intelligentsia, a local coffee roaster. Retails for about $10.95/lb.

Picking up a question from a few posts back...no Gene, I am not retired! lol I'm looking down the barrel of a 30-year mortgage, with 28 years to go. So there ain't no retirement in my immediate future. I live in a major metropolitan area. Space is at a premium. No single-family homes to be had in my area. And even if there were, they'd sell for about $1 million or more. So I'm quite content with my little space, which I share with my three girl kitties.

Iced coffee: just heat water and grind beans. Play around with proportions until you find what you like. I generally double the amount of beans I use for a hot cup of coffee. Ice and half-and-half get added last.

Karen

• bunnyman
    18 years ago

Gene... send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to provide you with an e-mail address for the best coffee I've found anywhere.

michael

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello, Everyone - Well, I'm just about to the end of my last bag of beans (Summit Organic House Blend). I'd rate it about a 6 or 7. Before I order the Ethopia Harrar or Costa Riocan Terrazu I thought I'd make a run to a speciality house or two to look for samplers.

I use a typical Mr. Coffee 10-cup makerr. I was in Goodwill and found a very clean Faberware Superfast 6-cup perculator. To test it I put in some water and it worked very well. I forsee a problem with grounds. I've never seen a throw away filter for a perculator. Have you? The water seems to get hotter than the Mr. Coffee. Does anyone use a perculator any more? Does anyone have advice to use/not us it? Would you think this might enhance/detract from coffee taste? Thanks, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Sorry, Gene. No advice here on the percolator/filter thingy. I use a tea kettle to heat my water, and a paper cone filter.

My main reason for popping in here now, though, is to rave about a new blend of African beans I just bought yesterday!

The blend is called Star & Crescent from Intelligentsia.

Wow! They took the very best of all the African coffees and made something absolutely awesome. Smells like chocolate and blueberries and a bunch of other good stuff my nose can't identify. lol The taste is equally divine.

I just checked Intelligentsia's website and they don't offer Star & Crescent there. But I first spied this blend at my local Whole Foods Grocery store. So maybe they'll have it near you, if you have a Whole Foods.

Karen

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Gene, there should be a metal filter with the percolator. No paper filter is necessary. Personally, I do like percolated coffee over drip coffee (your Mr. Coffee) and I suspect it's because of the hotter water over the beans brings out more flavor.

Karen, thanks for the heads up on the Star & Crescent. I'm fortunate enough to work in Austin and will be stopping by their new headquarters to check this coffee out. I know that I've liked the coffee that I have bought there in the past (Guatemala Antigua), and I'm looking forward to trying the Star & Crescent.

Kerri

• bunnyman
    18 years ago

I think percolators are considered the worst way to make coffee because the coffee gets boiled. Not that I have not drank many gallons of percolated coffee and been happy with it. I'm currently using a Mr. Coffee drip machine.

You can always try a pot and see if it is what you want.

michael

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Kerri, no promises on Star & Crescent being available in other markets. Intelligentsia is based in the city where I live. I'm not sure how far out they go as regards coffee bean distribution. But one would think that if Star & Crescent is available at a Whole Foods anywhere else, it would be in Austin! :o)

BTW, get hold of one of those Violet Crumble bars next time you're at Whole Foods. It's a little Australian confection and it's available at Whole Foods in Austin. The name has nothing to do with what's inside: a chocolately-merengue-y piece o' heaven!

Anybody wanna start a thread on the joys of chocolate??? lol

Karen

• Wings2W
    18 years ago

Just read, today, to put three pennies under your glass carafe. In a triangle shape. It's supposed to keep your fresh brewed tasting like fresh brewed all day. They say resturants use them too.

I'll try this one!

Wings

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Karen, I can't recall the brand name on the coffee that I bought at Whole foods, but if I don't see Intelligentsia, I will certainly ask for it. :)

The Violet Crumble sounds lovely, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait a few more days before trying one. I had 5 teeth extracted this week so my gums are still healing. I'm consoling myself with frappucino for breakfast and smoothies for lunch. LOL

Wings, I've not heard about the penny trick before. Let us know if it works!

Kerri

• grammahony
    18 years ago

Jumping in here on the coffee subject. I always drink the Folgers Hazelnut coffee. I buy the whole beans, and keep them in the refrigerator. About once a week, maybe twice, I grind up enough beans to make 5 or 6 pots, and put the ground up beans in an air tight canister. I have a Bunn coffee pot, 10 cup. I drink maybe 8 cups. Then shut it off. Later in the afternoon, I add another scoop of grounds, and more water, for my afternoon pick me up. Due about now. I also use the brown filters. The white ones have been bleached, and to me, that changes the flavor.
    I am gonna try that penny trick.
    Leslie

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Sunday Morning, All. I'm always amazed how much food for thought I acquire from our exchanges. I grind beans each time I have coffee. Some beans are always left in the grinder. It makes sense in grinding enough for several pots, as Leslie mentioned, as long as it is kept sealed well. That way I could empty the grinder each time. Make sense?

I just picked up a half pound sampler of Brazil Carrado (where do they get these names) from Port City Java. It's suppose to be an original origin coffee. I hope it turns out well. In different degrees I've liked about all coffees I've tried since last October but still would recommend some over others. I'll eventually try ones mentioned more recently on this board.

From a song: Life goes on - Like grass in the cracks in the sidewalk. Something to think about. Regards, Gene

• grammahony
    18 years ago

I prefer a mellow roast, nothing bitter or dark. My Mom on the other hand likes very strong coffee. I don't make 'weak' coffee, but not as strong as hers. I like to be able to drink it even if it gets cold.
    When I worked (retired 4 years ago) I took a thermous to work, because all they had was vending machine coffee. YUK. I hated it when I'd walk off and forget my coffee at home. I always drank it on the way to work too. It took 40 minutes to get there. Just enough time to drink a travel mug of hot coffee and get woke up. By the last cup, the coffee was not the steaming coffee I started the day out with. So I had to like it, to drink it cold.
    Leslie

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Tuesday Morning, Fellow THS Members. Not much going on with my coffee quest. I'm still on Brazil Carrado. I've not had what I would call a bad coffee since I began doing my thing last year. I have yet to order some previously mentioned. I eventually will.

About weekly I take my Miata out for a spin and stop at Port City Java. When I stop I'm usually in the mood for something sweet. I've been getting a moka (sp?) coffee with topping. I'm by myself and feel rather uncomfortable. I tried making something similar at home. Strong Carrado; half pack of Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix; couple scoops of CoolWhip; and a couple squirts of chocolate syrup. It was pretty good to drink but not as good as theirs.

Leslie, my Mom only used JFG and perked it on our coal kitchen stove. It came out very black and very strong. I began drinking coffee in my mid teens. When I drank coffee elsewhere I thought restaurants/people just didn't know how to make coffee. I later found, as mentioned in an earlier post, we are a nation of people who are accustom to drinking weak coffee.

A friend from the college days stopped by a while back. She and I were very close but went our own ways. She brought an Emily Dickison book. She suggested I read "PARTING". After she left I read it several times. I'm sure we all do not derive the same thoughts from words we read. Personally, I felt she referred to the life she and I had, and the feeling when we parted. We had a good life together as college sweethearts often do. But I felt sad realizing our parting created the same feeling in both of us.

MY life closed twice before its close;
    It yet remains to see
    If Immortality unveil
    A third event to me,

So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
    As these that twice befell,
    Parting is all we know of heaven,
    And all we need of hell.

I wish for everyone a pleasant Summer. Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

So Gene, does this mean that one or both of you might like to give it another try?

Karen

• sienna_98
    18 years ago

Good Morning Gene!

How would you describe the Brazil Carrado? Is it bold or mild? Is it smooth?

I'm not a big mocha fan only because I like my coffee to be really strong and prefer to have a sweet dessert to balance it out. My suggestion to create a mocha would be to purchase some chocolate flavored syrup at the gourmet coffee place (it's not like Hershey's, usually the gourmet coffee places (or any gourmet grocery) will carry an Italian brand of syrups (brand name is Toscani?), for flavoring coffee. I would follow the directions on the bottle for using syrup, add coffee and probably half n half or heavy cream, depending on how 'creamy' you like your drink. Some whipped topping and shaved chocolate on top and you're good to go! :)

I'm frequently on my own at coffee shops, but usually I have a book with me, or I read a paper, or I write some letters. Starbucks is often my home away from home, so I'm very comfortable there.

That's a lovely poem, if a bit dark. ;) On the other hand, I'm a fan of W.B. Yeats and so I have no room to speak, but I love the feral quality of his better poems. Not sure what that says about me, LOL.

Hope you have a good weekend. I'm leaving work early for one of my mystery reader/writer conventions that's actually here in Austin. It's a first for this group, so should be interesting!

Kerri

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Thursday Morning, Karen. On rereading my post it does sound like the beginning of a romance novel, doesn't it. I've been widowed over four years. She is married and has been for maybe forty-five. Yes, I've tried to imagine us getting back together after such a long time. From her reaction I think she has entertained similar thoughts while at the same time recognizing it will never be. I think she and I are both hopeless romantics. She lives away and I'm lucky to see her a few times a year. When we're together except for her looking at an old man and me looking at an aged lady I think we enjoy our reunions.

I'm playing golf today at Maggie Valley Country Club. I play there occasionally through the courtesy of a friend of a friend. The price is not so steep when playing as a guest. I don't play that often and when I do I look for a cheaper course.

I'm still making my home brewed moka coffee mixture but am thinking of stopping it. I got on the scales and it hit 200 for the first time in a few years. I'm sure my coffee brew is loaded with calories. Maybe I'll just drink it at Port City Java. It's $2.50 there and I'm too cheap to pay that too often.

By the way, have you looked at StarBuck's grocery store prices lately. I shop Ingles and they went from $6.99 to over $8.50 (can't remember exact figure). Has it changed in your area?

Good luck to you, Karen. I hope you're traveling enough to breathe fresh air and smell the roses. I also hope you're enjoying your place in the city.

Warm regards, Gene

• bunnyman
    18 years ago

Try a teaspoon of Scotch whiskey in that chocolate/coffee drink... not a shot just a teaspoon for flavor.

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Ohhh, I know all about how quickly those mocha calories can add up! lol

I like Mr. Bunnyman's suggestion of a tsp of Scotch.

I also like to add just a smidgen -- 1 tablespoon, maybe? -- of Kahlua to an iced latte. Wow, it sure turns an everyday cold drink into something amazing. But not enough to impair your better judgement. lol

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Monday Morning, Folks - Kerri, the Brazil Carrado is a little bold - about what you'd taste with any coffee that had "roast" in its name. I doubt if it's something I'd return to. What you said about straight coffee with a pastry on the side makes perfectly good sense. If one wishes to test coffee (I do) then why do I screw it up with conjuners (sp?). Thanks for the reminder. I need someone to keep me on track.

I checked the StarBuck price a little more closely at Ingles Supermarket (chain). It went from $6.99 to $8.48. That's a pretty big jump. I don't know where in the supply process the increase came from.

On my next visit to a coffee house I'll try to remember to have something to read. They have a patio where one can sit, sweat, and watch traffic. Or I can stay inside their place. I think I'd like it better there, with A/C, and something decent to read.

Yeats? I don't recall reading any of his work. I did go to a couple of web sites. I try to understand what a writer means but apparently I need a few, or a lot, more rungs on my ladder. I don't particularly agree with other's interpretation such as all that's been written about Ode on a Grecian Urn (Keats?).

I didn't see anyone trying to interpret Yeats. I wish they would. The wording is fairly simple until he hits you with the last line or so. It's like a movie leaving one hanging. Let me know what the Surry poem means. Thanks. I'll send you my e-mail if you should care to reply through THS.

Mike, a little flavoring would do wonders, I think. Do they still have the small shot bottles the airlines used? I was never a scotch drinker but never had it in coffee either. Sounds good. What Karen mentioned also sounded very tasty. I haven't drank anything with alcohol since 1995 (after an operation). I just thought it made me pick up weight.

Regards to all and I hope this week is not too hot. Gene

• berain
    18 years ago

oooooooooooooo I'm so mad I could spit! We have a "coffee club" at work, with it's six exclusive members. Coffee was made at 8 am - and by 9 when I arrived at work it was GONE!!! There are snitches!

• grammahony
    18 years ago

berain, you need to get there earlier and make the coffee. That way you'll be sure to get some of it. They should have left you a cup. How rude.
    Leslie

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello, Everyone. Recently, I was in a new coffee house. They had Costa Rican Terrazu. It was "on the rack" so to speak and I bought a small quantity of beans. I plan to try it this evening.

I've initiated many questions about the care of preservation of coffee. In reading coffee packages and listening to others it seems we should at least try to offer some preservative care. Apparently coffee houses don't think preservation is needed since they leave it in a plastic dispenser exposed to the air.

Has anyone heard this? A lady behind the counter at the new place looked at me seeing more years than I care to talk about it. She asked if I used a French press. I have yet to get one but it's been on my mental list. The lady said coffee from one has significantly high chlosterol. She said a press is normally for one cup of coffee; gives one the truest taste; but emits coffee in a syrup texture. She said anyone with a chlosterol problem shouldn't use one. Has anyone heard of this? I take Vytorin but didn't have the bottle hung around my neck. Regards, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Hmmph...Ms. Barista sounds like she needs some instruction in good customer service.

Gene, I hadn't heard the cholesterol issue. But I do recall one Starbucks barista, many years ago, telling me that French press coffee tends to produce more carcinogens than regularly-brewed coffee. This same barista also told me, btw, that re-heating a cold cup of coffee can do the same thing.

Not sure if any of the above is true. But I trust my source. Maybe you could try to google the topic and see what comes up?

As far as how the shop stores its beans, I'd imagine they go through beans at warp speed throughout the day. Storage & preservation probably isn't the same priority for them as it is for you and me.

*I* am enjoying a cup of freshly brewed Tanzania Peaberry. The beans followed me home from Boston last week. Pretty nice!

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Folks. A friend said she liked Maxwellhouse Columbian Supreme so I bought a pack. I guess it just proves there's differences in taste. I'll be glad when it's finished.

In the supermarket I saw the new MH's French Roast "BOLD". I like the FR the best of what MH makes. Since I like strong coffee I should like the bold even better. I'll give it a try in a day or two.

Last night I fixed some Costa Rican Terrazu. I didn't know I had missed having such a good coffee aroma around. It fills the air doesn't it. And, it's a pretty good coffee for my taste buds.

I tried a couple of Targets sample packages (gray bag) from a barrel in Targets at .99 each. They didn't do anything for me.

I've been driving my red Miata convertible after the sun goes down. I still go in Port City Java. I find something to read because I'm always by myself. Then, I'll take the Miata to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The air seems to be ten or more degrees cooler. It's a fun drive but a little lonesome.

A little food for thought. I listened to a song and the message was about love and losing time. For example, the time it took me to write this note and the time it takes you to read this note is gone forever. That time cannot be reacquired, relived, or utilized in any way. The song, itself, had to do with love, the happiness of just being together, and realizing those moments will never come again.

Best regards, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Gene, good to "hear" from you. I've been wondering how your adventures in Coffee Land were going. :o)

I've put in some solo time in those coffee places, and have some cool suggestions for you. Get yourself a big ol' magazine like Vanity Fair or a couple issues of Esquire. They're both great for mindlessly flipping through pages. And when you're ready to read something meaty they've both got terrific articles.

Take these mags with you on your next visit. Get yourself a large order of whatever suits your fancy. Plop down at the table or barstool with the best view-of-your-choice (outside land scaping or prime people watching).

The above recipe will "buy" you a good hour of solo coffee enjoyment, without feeling self-conscious about being by yourself. Heck, if you look around you'll probably notice a few other folks doing the same thing. Sometimes I go to my local Starbucks NOT for the coffee but just for a change of venue.

My favorite sad song that is kind of on the same topic is "You Are There" by Dave Frishberg. Lots of people have recorded it. My favorite version is by Rebecca Parris. But don't listen to it unless you're sitting somewhere, where it's okay if you tear up.

Karen

• spunky_8
    18 years ago

You are definitely right that there are differences in taste when it comes to coffee.

I was born and raised in Germany and had the hardest time finding 'acceptable' (wouldn't dream of good) coffee in the States. Every time I went back to Germany on a visit, I'd bring back half a suitcase full of coffee (if I had been caught at the airport, I am sure they'd have thought I am smuggling drugs), but inevitably ran out midway.

Eventually, I stopped drinking coffee altogether because the taste was just terrible. Mind you, I've tried different coffees, coffee makers, storage, filters, etc. I simply longed for that smooth full bodied taste coffe has in Europe.

I got a new supply of German coffee (and I like Moevenpick much more so than Jacobs) and decided to get a new coffee maker. Got one of those Krups combination coffee espresso makers and LOVE it. But then, I do make lattes and frappuccinos etc...

Keep up the trying different kinds and if you do have a German deli around, check out their coffee.

Though the last part of your last post about the loss of time has got me utterly depressed :(

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

For those of us who cannot get enough, here's another thread about coffee. The highlight is a photo and description of one forum member's $7,000.00 espresso maker. Wowee.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Still MORE coffee talk!

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Thursday Morning, Folks - Recently, when it comes to coffee, I think my taste buds are totally shot. I have several types double/triple bagged and in the freezer. I try them all and their taste seems to change. I don't think it has to do with how long in the fridge, do you? I see Target has Starbuck's sale price at $7.00 and it was $6.50. The supermarket I patronize has Starbuck's Summatra at $9.00 and the other at $8.50. I knew I had expensive taste.

I'm glad the Moevenpick and Jacobs was mentioned. I've never drank German coffee. I'll track it down and get a bag of the first. I suppose all of our coffee beans come from areas within 500 miles of the equator. I imagine all countries have processes a little differently. I ran across someone who had boiled their coffee to the syrup stage as the Nomads are/was accustom to. He said he tried it a few times but that was it. His stomach just wouldn't tolerate it.

I saw the web site about coffee. From its activity maybe I'm just taking up space here. Still, it's not all about coffee, is it.

I will eventually hear all of "You Are There". I downloaded a 30 second clip. I couldn't find it by the person you mentioned.

Spunky, since my wife died I have lots and lots of quiet time. A lot of songs just don't seem to have a message, or if a message is there one can't understand it. But, on occasion I hear one as previously mentioned and it sticks. I guess it's usually the ones that are sad. And, speaking of that, I reread Gray's Elegy not too long ago. The beginning really sets the stage.

"The curfew tolls the knell of parting day, The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea, The ploughman homewards plods his weary way, And leaves the world to darkness and to me.".

Regards to all, Gene

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have you had your share of chocolate covered roasted coffee beans? Until this past Saturday (today's Monday) I didn't know they existed (always the last to know, huh!). I'll bet some of you are saying, well, I've known about that for a long time. Makes my point!

Next month it will a year since I began my coffee trials. If I've learned nothing more, coffee tastes is strictly an individual thing. And, yes, I think you knew this, too. My big problem was having someone with whom I could talk about coffee. When someone was around and I fixed an $8-$15 per pound coffee I might comment as "Isn't that good.". As months progressed this switched over to "What do you think of the coffee's taste?".

I'll continue picking up different coffee. If I should be asked about it I'll preface my statement with "Coffee is an individual thing, you know".

Another comment or two on coffee. I never thought a sweet coffee went well with a sweet dessert. I've had mocachino (sp?) with cake and it was great (and extremely calorie laden and unhealthy). I don't have that often. From a personal standpoint, only, sweetening coffee with sugar is not a must. I've drank mine pure black for years and years. But, when trying to make a speciality coffee at the house I use ice creme; whipped creme; syrup; and the like. It's fun to be experimental.

I hope all are well. I guess the length of this topic has gotten rather cumbersome to get to the end. If and when I commeent about coffee again I may start a new topic. I thank all for the input. I've reread a lot of what's been said and I thank everyone very much. Best regards, Gene

• mjmercer
    18 years ago

Gene, I've loved your ramblings about coffee (rambling is a good thing!). I hope you'll keep posting about your discoveries. And when this thread maxes out at 100 posts, I hope you'll start another one!

As for me, this morning's cuppa was a blend of Ethiopia Harrar and Italian Roast. I'm doubling up these days to use up the dribs and drabs of beans that remain in my freezer. lol

Karen

• candler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning, Karen, and All. Karen, that's a good idea about cutting off at 100. I hope to make it there but it seems interest has dropped. I, too, am finishing up some coffees. I usually drink a basic, fairly inexpensive, blended coffee in the morning. In late afternoon or early evening is when I dig out "the better stuff". Then, two cups is my limit. It takes a while to finish the dribs and drabs, doesn't it.

I'm still trying to order a German coffee but they want a two pack order. As I've said before, since I'm the only one to drink it I'd have this drib or drab around a long time.
    Ethopian Harrar? I'm not sure if I've had it but might give it a shot.

Do you ever run across writings and say "I wish I'd written that". Here's one I ran across yesterday. "Remembering is a journey the heart takes back into a time that was. Our thoughts are the only tickets needed to ride".

I've got a daughter and son in law in (I think)your area for a short vacation. They're at the Palmer House.

For whatever it's worth "robusta" is the name given coffee that not of very good quality and is at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. I wonder if that's where the word "robust" came from. We use robust in a very good light when speaking of coffee that has a strong flavor, don't we?

Regards to you, and All. Gene (going for 100)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County