Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning out the closet

Posted by anettemartinrn (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 17:41

Just wondering for those of you who have lost your s/o to death, when did you start cleaning out his/her closet? My dh passed just over a month ago, and I havent started that project yet.

anette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning out the closet

I started about 2 months after Gary passed away. My three sons took all his clothes, which made me feel good. I sold our home 6 months after his death - just couldn't stand to rattle around in that big old house we shared our love in. I retired 10 months after he passed away. A year and a half later, I have relocated to NW Florida and am much happier than I was in the Midwest - the only thing I would change would be that Gary could be here to enjoy retirement with me.

o

I had no trouble cleaning out the closets and I think it was because my husband had no interest in what he wore as long as his body was covered! I have still not cleaned out his office which is where he kept things important to him. His diplomas, awards, greeting cards and letters etc. I think it is best to start with things that were not so important to your husband. I called the Knights of Columbus which my husband belonged to and they picked up all of his clothes to donate to a men's shelter. I felt good about that.
Take your time and do things as you feel able. There is no time table. Good luck to you. Satine

o

You will know when it's time.

I'm not experienced in this area, but remember reading a touching article about it, where one woman kept her husband's closet as is, and would walk in and close the door and sense/smell her husband through his clothing, feel his sweaters, and she did this for about a year, until she felt she was strong enough to go forward in her life without his things being there.

Healing is progressive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here