Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suddenly single

Posted by anettemartinrn (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 20:51

I lost my husband of 7 years to cancer last Thursday. It was a short illness, thankfully. He was only 50. It was a second marriage for both of us, and we were quite happy (unlike our first marriages).

So, here I am, wondering what my life will be like now.

Anette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suddenly single

Anette, I am sorry for the loss of your husband - I lost my husband a year and a half ago, to cancer. If you do as I did/do, you will think of him day and night, dream of him, miss him, continue to love him, cry, be mad, plead for god's mercy each day and you will 'talk' to your husband.

It is very displacing, and you learn to live each day one day at a time. For awhile, your head will be full of silly putty, you won't think clearly, and you will cry at the oddest times. You will survive, but it will be painful. It will take some time to accept that he is really dead - I am just now dealing with that fact. It is a tough road, that's for sure!

o

Anette, Im so sorry about your loss. I have been a widow for 7 years after my husband died from a sudden heart attack at age 56. It is still very difficult but there are things I would advise you to do. I joined a grief group which was for widows/widowers in my age bracket. It helped tremendously and I remain friends with some of the group even now. Do you have children at home? I had an 11 year old (she turned 12 the day following her dad's death). If you have children you need to be able to care for them. In order to do that you must first take care of yourself.

o

I'm so sorry, Anette. To have had such a lovely marriage and then lose him to cancer is something I can't relate to, but the emotional pain must seem unbearable at times.

You know, none of us knows what life will be like in the future. I'm so glad you had that wonderful time in your life, even though it was brief -- some people never do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here