Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Shop III

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 14:59

Hello, everyone. I had to smile. I was looking for a discussion about coffee pot cleaning. I did a search on GW. One of the results was mine. In it I commented that I was 70.

Well, some years have definitely gone by. I hit 80 a few months back. For those still around from back then I hope you enjoyed our talks, too.

I think I actually began that topic with just Coffee Shop. Maybe not. On seeing a decline I know several tried to keep it more alive. Maybe the time had just run its course. Seems that's the case with much too much these days. Regards, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Shop III

It seems like most forums have gotten very slow and I don't think that is a bad thing. It means they are busy with their families and lives.

o

Hello, EmmaR. Well said. I originally came to this site a couple of years after my wife had died. I hope your are right. Regards, Gene

o

If I am right I sure do envy them. I don't have any family......................................that I want to be with. So it is movies, books and jigsaw puzzles. LOL

o

Gene, add vinegar and run the pot to clean.
For you great coffee shop folks, I wanted to let you know that Gerry1117, my sister who loved all things gardening and used to post here, died on March 7, 2014. After months of vague symptoms and having doctors thinking she had gall bladder issues, etc., she learned in late January that she had stage IV lung cancer. We miss her terribly. We have shared her books, her plants, her favorite coffee mugs, her journals, and lots of tears. If I knew how, I would post the Word file we shared with family and friends. I was with her at the end and we shared meaningful reflections.
Gerry's birthday is Nov. 17. I like to think she is going to be celebrating it with her oldest son who died at age 21.

o

Becky, I'm sorry for your great loss. What was your sister's GW name?

o

Kay, her GW name was Gerry1117. She had been off the garden forums for awhile but had really enjoyed them when she was an active poster. Thank you. Becky

o

I'm sorry I don't remember this name. Just the same, she will be missed on the forums where she participated.

o

Hello, Becky and everyone. Thank you very much for letting us know about Gerry. I'm very sorry. The news is very saddening. I hardly know what to say. I enjoyed the few times she and I were together. Also, our continuous email corresponding. She always spoke highly of her family and friends. She seemed to enjoy all of her contacts on the Garden Web. When she spoke of her pets it was always with a smile. I think her GW name might have been SwampSprite or maytbe that was her email. I'm not sure. I think the name came from her home area in S.C. She seemed to be proud to live there. From pictures I saw the name fit. Thanks again for letting us know. Regards, Gene

o

Good morning, All. I sometimes wonder if I can break "old habits". I used an electric percolator until maybe the 60's or 70's. Then I went to the standard drip type of today. Along with that I've used brown filters ever since. Mine is a 12-cup. I recently bought a $15-$20 5-cup maker just to give it a try. It has a wire basket filter but I don't like what appears a messy way to remove grounds. I feel that removing grounds with a paper filter requires less overall effort. The only paper filter I've found for the 5-cup is white. I suppose its the bleached type I've read about. I've cleaned the 5-cup very well but have not yet used it thinking maybe one day I can find a brown filter. Yep, old habits. I've found brown "cone" filters but not 5-cup. They do not work. Regards, Gene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here